Advice Needed - Should I Raid?

Hi everyone! So my question is, should I "get into" raiding? I have done some raids, and I have learned that I have a few problems with guild wars 2 raiding scene, and a few things I love about it.

Here's what I like about raiding:

• Sense of Accomplishment
  • Fun way to get some extra gear (magnetite)
  • Fun to raid with a guild/community and meet new people

Here's what I dislike about raiding:

• As a multiclass player, I find it very tiring to keep up with nerfs and meta changes as the gold and time spent to swap stats/runes/sigils on your gear builds up over time.
  • DPS meters aren't supported by Anet so it feels harder for me to improve since I can't see my dps.
  • I've wanted Aurora for a long time, but haven't been able to get it because raiding is surprisingly a gold sink for me.
  • I don't want legendary armor.

So really I'm just undecided on if I want to spend the time and gold pursuing it. Honestly, I think raiding would be a lot easier if I just stop trying to be a multiclass, but I have the gear already so I'm not sure if that'd be a good idea for me to just forget about some of my characters.

it's really up to you to weigh the pros and cons of raiding to you, but for some clarification, anet have said they're ok with dps meters as long as it plays within their rules. Arcdps is one such dps meter, most of the people I know use it. Also, I'm curious as to what gold sink are you running into in raids. Are you doing anything between raids that earn/cost you gold as well?

I couldn't find the original post about it since it was in the old forums, but here's a reddit post about the topic of dps meters: "We have no problems with players using a 3rd party tool whose scope is only to collect and visualize combat data gathered directly from the game client. Anything beyond that scope is still considered a violation of the User Agreement."

@"Sephylon.4938" said:it's really up to you to weigh the pros and cons of raiding to you, but for some clarification, anet have said they're ok with dps meters as long as it plays within their rules. Arcdps is one such dps meter, most of the people I know use it. Also, I'm curious as to what gold sink are you running into in raids. Are you doing anything between raids that earn/cost you gold as well?

I couldn't find the original post about it since it was in the old forums, but here's a reddit post about the topic of dps meters: "We have no problems with players using a 3rd party tool whose scope is only to collect and visualize combat data gathered directly from the game client. Anything beyond that scope is still considered a violation of the User Agreement."

Oh! I didn't know ArcDPS was technically allowed. That actually helps me greatly, as I was afraid to use it in case I got banned.

As for the gold sink, one example would be the meta apocalypse that happened in 2016 that destroyed Reaper, causing me to have to transfer my entire gear set to another character with different stats. Another example would be the most recent patches that made it so condi rangers pretty much must have concentration sigils now, which are not cheap. About 80-100 gold for the set currently, just for sigils. This is problematic because harrier druid still hasn't been fully accepted in the meta for most bosses it seems. But constant meta changes like that get in the way of other things I want in the game like Aurora, because they cost gold to adjust to. As a multiclass player, I spend a lot of time and energy changing my gear because of the meta changes :( especially when I have to farm for specific runes like Leadership runes.

Another thing I should mention is that I really don't like farming gold, I just do my daily fractals.

Re-gearing is to be expected with such massive shifts to the meta. It sucks, but we all have to deal with it unfortunately. Also, condi rangers don't really use concentration sigils, unless you mean condi druids, which unless you're minmaxing speed runs, isn't that needed. Most of the pugs I've seen still ask for healers and they usually mean full harrier druids. Healer eles and revs(renegade) are now also accepted to some degree as well. Heck, harrier druids are now even wanted in fractals. But I'm only speaking from an na perspective, duno about eu.

For what it is worth, I don't regret getting into raiding with my main (Warrior) at all.

I find the content fun and reward in of itself, and the Legendary Armour is well worth the bother IMO. I love the way the Heavy variant looks and let me tell you, being able to freely swap stats AND runes at will (with the Legendary Armour they don't get destroyed when replaced but are returned to your inventory instead). I'll never need to bother with another armour set ever again! Really, the armour is the prime feature when it comes to raiding in the end.

I know you said that you weren't interested in the Legendary Armour at all but... think about it. It is just such a handy-dandy thing to have. Way moreso than Legendary Weapons which, sadly, do not get the same feature with Sigils.

Secondly, Magnetite Shards are amazing. I pretty much only play my Warrior with so I don't have the capability to craft Ascended armour and weapons for the few alt projects I have on the side (getting Armoursmithing to 500 was a royal pita and I'm not looking forward to doing the same to Tailor and Leatherworker!) so being able to pick up these ascended chests for the shards is amazing.

@Sephylon.4938 said:Re-gearing is to be expected with such massive shifts to the meta. It sucks, but we all have to deal with it unfortunately. Also, condi rangers don't really use concentration sigils, unless you mean condi druids, which unless you're minmaxing speed runs, isn't that needed. Most of the pugs I've seen still ask for healers and they usually mean full harrier druids. Healer eles and revs(renegade) are now also accepted to some degree as well. Heck, harrier druids are now even wanted in fractals. But I'm only speaking from an na perspective, duno about eu.

Ah yes, I meant Condi Druid. And I wasn't aware that harrier druid was so popular. That actually makes me want to play raids more because I love my harrier druid, but I was under the assumption that it could only be used in certain bosses, haha!

@Oglaf.1074 said:For what it is worth, I don't regret getting into raiding with my main (Warrior) at all.

I find the content fun and reward in of itself, and the Legendary Armour is well worth the bother IMO. I love the way the Heavy variant looks and let me tell you, being able to freely swap stats AND runes at will (with the Legendary Armour they don't get destroyed when replaced but are returned to your inventory instead). I'll never need to bother with another armour set ever again! Really, the armour is the prime feature when it comes to raiding in the end.

I know you said that you weren't interested in the Legendary Armour at all but... think about it. It is just such a handy-dandy thing to have. Way moreso than Legendary Weapons which, sadly, do not get the same feature with Sigils.

Secondly, Magnetite Shards are amazing. I pretty much only play my Warrior with so I don't have the capability to craft Ascended armour and weapons for them (getting Armoursmithing to 500 was a royal pita and I'm not looking forward to doing the same to Tailor and Leatherworker!) so being able to pick up these ascended chests for the shards is amazing.

Hmm, yes the magnetite is sooo much easier than crafting, a good point indeed. And Legendary armor is nice, but I could get 5 full sets of ascended gear for the price of one set of legendary, so I'd rather put that towards gearing more characters. Plus, I love the styles I've created for my characters so far, so I'm not really in need of the legendary skins.

Yeah as I said, since I really only play my one main 99% of the time, Legendary Armour is extremely useful. Instead of having to lug around extra full armour sets, I just carry around stacks of 6 Runes and swap 'em as I please.

I can definitely see how that is less appealing if you have tons of characters instead, and don't care for the looks (I was lucky in that I hate the medium/light appearance, but I loved the heavy at first sight!).

@Linken.6345 said:

@Quarktastic.1027 said:If I didn't need to download and run a third party voice communication software in order to be accepted into a raid group, I'd be more open to the prospect of raiding occasionally. But given my time constraints as well, raids are a no-go for me.

Plenty of pug raids dont use voice coms at all mostly statics do mate.

And even then, Discord is a thing.

And Discord is just going to a website rather than installing something on your PC (which is why I much prefer it).

@Linken.6345 said:

@Quarktastic.1027 said:If I didn't need to download and run a third party voice communication software in order to be accepted into a raid group, I'd be more open to the prospect of raiding occasionally. But given my time constraints as well, raids are a no-go for me.

Pug raiders are also some of the most toxic individuals on the internet.

@Quarktastic.1027 said:

Nah, people who overgeneralize others are.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

Nah, people who overgeneralize others are.

Im toxic in raids but as a condi thief I kinda have to be.

Archived