Map Ping Icons

As someone who participate and help in PvE world events, I think this can be confusing as the icons are also used different there. (e.g. at serpents ire, it is to split the teams. The team at the shield should just as well attack. The team at the do not go there sign, must go there. Specially those who play more formats or change can be confused by the different meanings in different formats.

I would actually suggest to have two sets of icons (for example a second set holding something else then shift). One are basic PvP commands as described and the other the current ones.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

@Donari.5237 said:I don't PvP at all and I like these icon changes. Not that I ever see anything but the red circle used, and sometimes I can't make it stop pinging instead of letting me scroll the minimap, and having the ping last a little longer would be nice since as it stands someone has to be actively eyeballing that specific area of the map to see the ping -- but those are system design issues. In terms of icon design, I imagine your proposed new versions will be equally useful in PvE, more so than the current ones.

They are really useful for in world squad content & HP trains. ;;; > u >

anet killed hp trains and so forth a long time ago . please do not tell me people still try to do this foolishly ??? also this is where a lot of game lag is made in pve thanks to these so called world squad event things which anet should remove the rest of that from the game fully and make it no longer possable to have any world trains or hp trains at all . :# :# :# :#

I'm pretty sure most Hero Points can't be soloed on certain classes.

This is the truth. None of the PoF HPs can be Solo'd except the communes & the HoTs ones are difficult to get to for new players without at least someone Mesmering them where they need to go. There's also a few HoTs ones like the Tengu one in AB that cannot be Solo'd by any class, let alone Ele or Mesmer.

@DawnSketch.7105 said:

@"Donari.5237" said:I don't PvP at all and I like these icon changes. Not that I ever see anything but the red circle used, and sometimes I can't make it stop pinging instead of letting me scroll the minimap, and having the ping last a little longer would be nice since as it stands someone has to be actively eyeballing that specific area of the map to see the ping -- but those are system design issues. In terms of icon design, I imagine your proposed new versions will be equally useful in PvE, more so than the current ones.

anet killed hp trains and so forth a long time ago . please do not tell me people still try to do this foolishly ??? also this is where a lot of game lag is made in pve thanks to these so called world squad event things which anet should remove the rest of that from the game fully and make it no longer possable to have any world trains or hp trains at all . :# :# :# :#

This is the truth. None of the PoF HPs can be Solo'd except the communes & the HoTs ones are difficult to get to for new players without at least someone Mesmering them where they need to go. There's also a few HoTs ones like the Tengu one in AB that cannot be Solo'd by any class, let alone Ele or Mesmer.

The Tengu one actually last week I decided to test myself and say "muck it" and tried soloing it on my Necro. I've almost died and was downed once, but I beaten it barely.Now if I was on let's say my Guardian or my Mesmer or whatever, I already know I would not have survived it.

Didn't test ones like the Balthazar one or the Ancient Golems and such, but I know I would not be able to solo those. Especially on Necro.I would like to see someone solo that Mushroom one in Depths. I'm psychotic personally, but sane enough to not even try that. I know none of my classes would be able to solo that.

Oh, and the Bat Guano in Brink. I've gotten super close in soloing it, but still got downed and almost died to it. The one time that I "beaten it solo" was when someone came in at the last minute all movie style when I was just about to die and smashed their Griffon into the final bat's face and then revived me which I then shot it with everything I had and the person that saved me hit it a few times and it died.Which pretty much was not solo as if that person did not come in that specific moment, I would've just died and the bat would've regenerated its health.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

@"Donari.5237" said:I don't PvP at all and I like these icon changes. Not that I ever see anything but the red circle used, and sometimes I can't make it stop pinging instead of letting me scroll the minimap, and having the ping last a little longer would be nice since as it stands someone has to be actively eyeballing that specific area of the map to see the ping -- but those are system design issues. In terms of icon design, I imagine your proposed new versions will be equally useful in PvE, more so than the current ones.

The Tengu one actually last week I decided to test myself and say "muck it" and tried soloing it on my Necro. I've almost died and was downed once, but I beaten it barely.Now if I was on let's say my Guardian or my Mesmer or whatever, I already know I would not have survived it.

Didn't test ones like the Balthazar one or the Ancient Golems and such, but I know I would not be able to solo those. Especially on Necro.I would like to see someone solo that Mushroom one in Depths. I'm psychotic personally, but sane enough to not even try that. I know none of my classes would be able to solo that.

Oh, and the Bat Guano in Brink. I've gotten super close in soloing it, but still got downed and almost died to it. The one time that I "beaten it solo" was when someone came in at the last minute all movie style when I was just about to die and smashed their Griffon into the final bat's face and then revived me which I then shot it with everything I had and the person that saved me hit it a few times and it died.Which pretty much was not solo as if that person did not come in that specific moment, I would've just died and the bat would've regenerated its health.

I don't know, maybe I'm just super squishy then? lolNone of my toons can solo any of these, the Core game ones, I can get those just fine.Also, Balthazar has been changed to a timed commune as of PoF release....for story spoilery reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

@"witcher.3197" said:To be honest I don't know how often it's used, because most of the time I probably miss it even if I regularly check the minimap. In GW1 the map pings had sound effects and I think GW2 needs that too, because otherwise noticing them comes down to pure chance.

If pinging also sent a message to the team chat that'd help a lot too, for example "player x wants to defend [objective nearest to where the ping went off]"

So in short the problem's not the options we have, but how easy they are to miss.

We like the idea of adding a message to team chat too. Though, that will require some additional code. We'll probably do something like change the icons and then try to do the chat changes later.

I think this would be useful in WvW, eg. on desert BL to signal where keep walls are open.

Can you do something about the ping duration too - currently they last about a second, they'd be much more useful if they stayed for 10s or so.

Archived