Superior Rune of the Monk

fixit.7189

Is there any possible way, in the future, to have an alternative method (preferably open world/crafting/etc) to aquire this particular rune set; really need these on my healer tempest and healer druid. I really do not want to be forced to do this dungeon to get them....like really don't want to do it b/c I have super bad experiences in dungeons as it is....but I need these runes! Ugh.

There's already an alternative method. You can get them from the PvP & WvW reward track: Ascalonian Catacombs Dungeon Track. That's how I got mine. Never entered the dungeon itself. The track rewards you Ascalonian Tears which you can then turn in for the runes with a vendor in Lion's Arch.

Hope this helped.

Why not just do the dungeon paths then? Dungeons are fun, if you haven't ran them a trillion times already.

I occasionally (although I'd say not for the last 3 months since the season events rolled in) do random dungeons just to do something. What issues have you ran in with dungeons in the past?

It's an old dungeon and people that do run it know it well while I do not, thus I get left behind last runs and was subsequently yelled then kicked. This happened 3 times now so heck with dungeons. I just want a nice solo way to get these runes without pvp or dungeon is all. I can get almost everything I need solo but not these things. Oh, w/e. Was just hoping. Sorry!

Not that AC is the most fun dungeon, but if you want to find people that either aren't well versed in it or who are but are chill about less experienced PuG members, make your own LFG listing for it saying "All welcome, any expl. path, not skipping." You'll attract others in the same boat as you, or someone that wants to run it for fun rather than speed. Just mention at the dungeon start that you don't know the dungeon well -- odds are someone will take time to explain at least the key points of each fight.

I regret that my guild isn't running dungeons a ton right now, but when we have a few people on and interested, we're generally happy to PuG in the slots we need to fill. If you're on NA please add me to your friends list and ping me when you see me in game, I can try to get a run going.

Note: you don't have to do just AC to get the tokens. Every 8 explorable paths you do in any mix and match of dungeons gives you a bonus chest of 150 tokens of your choice. So you have some flexibility -- if you see "all welcome" LFGs in -any- dungeon, you can join and make some progress.

@"fixit.7189" said:Is there any possible way, in the future, to have an alternative method (preferably open world/crafting/etc) to aquire this particular rune set; really need these on my healer tempest and healer druid. I really do not want to be forced to do this dungeon to get them....like really don't want to do it b/c I have super bad experiences in dungeons as it is....but I need these runes! Ugh.

Even though you've posted to say you're going to PUG, I'm going to list all the alternatives I can think of to address the issue:

If you must have these specific runes

• PUGging Ascalon Catacombs
  • Find two other people; you don't need more if you guys coordinate. You can get two more from PUGs, ask two friends to leech, or whatever.
  • Do the WvW dailies. There are several that are essentially PvE (google "GW2 Gift of Battle" — the instructions are the same except you contribute to the AC reward track)
  • Forging major runes. The odds for getting any Superior rune are 1:5. The odds of it being Super Monk are... slim, but not none. Plus it's nearly free to try and takes no special skill. (Thanks to @Wolfheart.7483 for the idea.)
  • Join randoms in the PvP daily rooms. You can get 1-2 PvP daily chests every day or about 10 rewards per week not counting what you get from playing matches. You can also choose to play longer to get wins.

Of these, I recommend the last: you make incredible progress for 5-7 minutes effort (plus: progresses your daily, too).

If you are willing to look at other runesThe OP's preferred runes provide: 175 Healing Power, 15% boon duration, 10% bonus to healing effectiveness, and a potential 645 heal that takes place every 15 seconds. Comparable runes include:

• Superior Water: same stat buff, 5% boon duration (20 after a self heal, plus the 645), and condi removal.
  • Altruism: same stat buff, 10% boon duration, and grant fury & might periodically. Arguably better for zerg.
  • Druid: tons of healing, no boon duration; needs glyphs, so depends on your prof
  • Dwayna: same stat buff, but regeneration instead of boon duration, and you can share some of that with allies.

Any of these should be satisfactory while you figure out the rest.

edit: added suggestions

• Mystic Forge of Major Runes. Low probability, super cheap, brain dead effort. (Thanks to @Wolfheart.7483 for suggestion.)

@fixit.7189 said:

@Ashen.2907 said:Please dont take this as dismissive, but if you only play open world PvE why do you need these runes? Open world PvE doesnt really have much, if any, call for a healer left alone one with specifically selected runes.

Why do anything in video games? To get better.

To get better at what though? There is essentially zero use for a healer in open world content. Playing a healer in such content means getting worse.

@Ashen.2907 said:

@Ashen.2907 said:Please dont take this as dismissive, but if you only play open world PvE why do you need these runes? Open world PvE doesnt really have much, if any, call for a healer left alone one with specifically selected runes.

Why do anything in video games? To get better.

To get better at what though? There is essentially zero use for a healer in open world content. Playing a healer in such content means getting worse.

It doesn't really matter if you or I think there's no need for the build; the OP finds it fun and that's what matters to them.

I hate to be dismissive, but AC is one of the easiest dungeons. From my experience, PUG's are pleantiful usually cool with teaching so long as you admit you have no idea what you're doing at the beginning of the dungeon. If you talk to your group, someone will usually look out for you, and if they don't, they're bad players who don't deserve you. if you fail to communicate and fall behind, then I don't think a party would be in the wrong for kicking you.

Just stay away from "EXP LV-80" parties - they're either looking for a world's-fastest-speedrun or a carry.

@fixit.7189 said:It's an old dungeon and people that do run it know it well while I do not, thus I get left behind last runs and was subsequently yelled then kicked. This happened 3 times now so heck with dungeons. I just want a nice solo way to get these runes without pvp or dungeon is all. I can get almost everything I need solo but not these things. Oh, w/e. Was just hoping. Sorry!

If you don't play with other people, you don't need monk runes. the 10% outgoing healing only work on allies.

Does your guild just not like to run dungeons or just you?And believe me I get the hate/disgust. (My first one was TA aetherblades... I stayed the far from the back end of a doylak/them after that experience for about1-2 years.)But Ascalon really isn't that bad at all. Actually you could probably get some help on the forums to get a few groups to learn how it is done. Some paths of them are deff harder than others, so you could just focus on the easy and keep at it to get the runes.

That said, what region are you in?

@fixit.7189 said:Is there any possible way, in the future, to have an alternative method (preferably open world/crafting/etc) to aquire this particular rune set; really need these on my healer tempest and healer druid. I really do not want to be forced to do this dungeon to get them....like really don't want to do it b/c I have super bad experiences in dungeons as it is....but I need these runes! Ugh.

There is one other possibility, not that I am recommending it, just adding to your options:

The Mystic Forge. When forging 4 rare runes, you most commonly get back another rare rune but occasionally get a superior rune. The forge can drop every dungeon rune from this method.

Though, it would be quicker to just do the dungeon using LFG and then you can guarantee yourself the runes you want without messing with RNG.

Archived