DPS Meter

Kiwi.6532

I have heard a lot of back and forth about this and I just want to know for sure before I go and download something that is going to get my account banned.Are DPS Meter's against Anet Policy? I've searched the forums and that only added to my confusion with these two forum discussions.https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/1570/psa-build-templates-by-arcdps-green-lighted-by-arenanethttps://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/5193/how-to-get-addons-for-dps-hp-numbersPlease help. :/

I actually think it's usefull to improve yourself to see if you do the right rotation to optimize your dps etc . SO i think anet tolerates it

And i can relate it can be scary as ppl kick other players cause they don't have enough dps (known thanks to that add-on) from fractals or raids ... can be pretty toxic but almost never saw things like that in raids for now but hey i'm just at 25 LI and playing raids casualy XD most of the time it's not a dps issue but a "staying alive" and/or mechanics issues.

• 3 months later...

DPS meter is a tool helping massively to learn and improve. It is showing if the player is casting skills timely and if the combination of skill used gives expected efficiency in term of damages. It becomes even more helpful if doing seriously WvW, Raids and Fractals. In that case, a certain rotation shall apply, and the DPS meter is in that case incredibly supportive because the result matters for the whole team.

As said in other threads before: A DPS meter is a good tool. That some players use it for unfair purposes is due to the people, not due to the tool.

Personally I believe that the best solution would be that Anet is adding one integrated into the game, what would give them full control on it. It could be adjusted to prevent unfair use, like for example, with the option for the player to share - or not - data to others.

@"Laila Lightness.8742" said:If you see someone in raid under performing dont kick help person get better

I say kick them all. Last person i tried to help fix their build because who the hell runs 25% movement signets in the raid, started insulting me for being toxic elitist telling him how to play. It's just not worth the effort trying to help people, since they never listen and then all get "toxic casual" at you.

@Cynn.1659 said:

@"Laila Lightness.8742" said:If you see someone in raid under performing dont kick help person get better

I say kick them all. Last person i tried to help fix their build because who the hell runs 25% movement signets in the raid, started insulting me for being toxic elitist telling him how to play. It's just not worth the effort trying to help people, since they never listen and then all get "toxic casual" at you.

Depends on the recipient, if the player responds as this guy did, kick away! But if they actually take advice on board and do start to improve, you helped another player for the better in a fractal/raid scenario.

@Cynn.1659 said:

And this right here is why I will not go anywhere near raids.

@Cynn.1659 said:

That would be mean and generate more hate for meter

If people read the announcements page, people would know what made people get banned. Arc dps is legit and you will not get banned for using it. Matter of fact I use it, and did not get banned. And I have a few buddies who use it. Arenanet also said they supported arcdps. And will not make their own meter. So all you gotta do is download it and instal into your bin64.

Meters are great to keep you in check.

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:Sorry, I don't have an actual answer for you, just the question. Why? Why do you even need this?

dps meters help you improve. After installing arc, I discovered that my damage in fractals was pretty bad. This was obviously because i was moving and dodging and curing all over the place, instead of letting our healer do his job.

But until you don't see it, you don't believe it. I discovered that dps can and will plummet if you don't find the way to be efficient.

Only once someone told me my dps was bad. And i had been sucking all of my life before that!!!!

@Laila Lightness.8742 said:If you see someone in raid under performing dont kick help person get better

I agree with this, but unfortunately players like that treat other players like NPCs or tools to help that person win, not someone they're actually playing a game with. I just avoid everyone that even mentions using a DPS meter because I don't play like that. Don't need that negativity in my life.

@Dreamy Lu.3865 said:Personally I believe that the best solution would be that Anet is adding one integrated into the game, what would give them full control on it. It could be adjusted to prevent unfair use, like for example, with the option for the player to share - or not - data to others.

I don't think it would be a good option to hide your damage to the others, because the point of a dps meter is also to know how you perform relatively to the others, not just how much damage you did. In WvW, I play as power Herald or power Weaver, so I should be in the top 10 damage of my squad, that way I know I did my job, but if I only see that I did 320k damage and don't know what the others did because they all hide their data, I won't be able to tell if I did good or not.

@Aenesthesia.1697 said:

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:Sorry, I don't have an actual answer for you, just the question. Why? Why do you even need this?

dps meters help you improve. After installing arc, I discovered that my damage in fractals was pretty bad. This was obviously because i was moving and dodging and curing all over the place, instead of letting our healer do his job.

But until you don't see it, you don't believe it. I discovered that dps can and will plummet if you don't find the way to be efficient.

Only once someone told me my dps was bad. And i had been sucking all of my life before that!!!!

How did you not know your DPS was bad? It's incredibly obvious when your DPS isn't good, it takes too long to kill things. The DPS on my main is not good. It takes a long time to kill stuff because he's designed around survival not DPS. He can take multiple hits that would instantly defeat other builds, but I don't pretend his DPS is good just because I don't use a meter.

Archived