Idea to get more people to pvp

Mogar.9216

I think the biggest problem for pvp is that there aren't enough people playing PvP. The main reason for low pop is that gw2 pvp is not new player friendly at all. If you are a gw2 player who likes pve and wanted to try pvp this is what you will experience:

1 load into a match2 20 seconds later die instantly in a blinding flash of aoe graphics and have no idea what the fuck just happened,3 repeat 2 again every 30 seconds till you win or loss .

To make this game more friendly to new players Anet need to slow down the match and tune down the Aoe. But I do realize a whole sale game design change is not going to happen, so here is what I propose. Add a match type where

1. you are only allowed to play pre built builds.
  2. Remove all aoe abilities from these available builds
  3. Remove all spike damage abilities from available builds

This would slow the combat down to allow new players to have fun and learn to pvp. Once they get use to it they can try unranked where you get to use any build you want and then on to ranked etc etc..

If you were talking about new players and WvW I'd agree about instantly dying but I'd put it at 10 seconds. :) I think the the problem with PvP is a lack of information.

If a new player enters their first match without another players guidance they are not going to fully understand the objectives, I don't think the the short window blurb and the wrestling announcer are enough for a new player.

As for as removing skills from builds, I don't think that's necessary and here's why. After my twin 10 y/o daughters played snowball mayhem during wintersday they wanted to try PvP. My girls make casuals look hardcore and I honestly thought they would give up after the first match if not during it, but much to my surprise they enjoyed it and still do. The only issue they had was understanding the objectives, that the match is really about cap'ing rather than kills. They die a lot, but they get kills and cap and have a good time.

EDIT: For the most part my girls use their open world pve builds that they've put together themselves, so it's possible to get started and have fun with anti-meta builds.

@Adenin.5973 said:There should be a slow motion pvp mode where it slows down animations/effects etc by 75% if you enter a fight. So new players can actually grasp what happens there on their screens.

You should also be able to re watch the match from the perspective of any player

The slow motion seems a bit fusterclucky but the replay option would be a great change imo. They could also add a slow motion option to the replay and possibly a skill sequence visual (shows what skills were used by who and when so they can see exactly what happened and why)

@Adenin.5973 said:There should be a slow motion pvp mode where it slows down animations/effects etc by 75% if you enter a fight. So new players can actually grasp what happens there on their screens.

You should also be able to re watch the match from the perspective of any player

This is exactly what I need!

I find the fights are just far too quick. By the time I realise what's going on, I'm already dead.

I think I would enjoy pvp, but it's very difficult to break into..learning tells is next to impossible when it all happens within a few seconds.

Archived