Black Lion Statuette

Palador.2170

I spend quite a bit on BLC a month. For me, this was a fantastic addition. My (now) preferred environment to play in is WvW so map currencies have been drained slowly as I craft. Example, I was able to craft Gift of the Rider solely from the tyrian vouchers which means more WvW (something I enjoy) and less trains (something I find boring). The silhouettes are great too! Primers, extractors, nodes, skins, outfits, such a good thing. I think Anet did really well with this update.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Shirlias.8104 said:

@"OutOfOrder.3719" said:I think this is the best black lion chests have ever been.

Im grabbing the elementalist sword after only a $50 purchase of keys.

I opened 50 chests and now have 59 black statues. Only 1 key farm away from the elementalist sword!

At first, I was dissapointed that I didn't get the baby griffon backpack and glider. But then I noticed that I received the Svanirir Gloves and realized that I actually had pretty good luck.

I'm even tempted to try another $50 worth of keys this week.

And this is coming from someone who has never spent more than $100 on keys over 2 years of playing.

Im planning on unlocking with karma as many skins I can, before using the random Wardobe unlocks to guarantee a better chance for rare skins.

And the best part, even if I don't get the Griffon backpack after another $50 purchase this time, at a later date the griffin backpack should eventually be offered as a black statue reward.

As long as you value dye and realize that it is a common drop, I think you are really going to like the black lion chests now.

Dude, you could have converted 3300 gems into 610g in order to directly buyout the sword from the TP.And by doing this you would have saved 700 gems ( maybe an outfit, or something else ).But I wouldn't of also gotten a perma-contract!

Yes, chests are still gambling, but the bottom rung is no longer "you got a bunch of dyes you already had and no more"

@Shirlias.8104 said:

@OutOfOrder.3719 said:I think this is the best black lion chests have ever been.

I opened 50 chests and now have 59 black statues. Only 1 key farm away from the elementalist sword!

At first, I was dissapointed that I didn't get the baby griffon backpack and glider. But then I noticed that I received the Svanirir Gloves and realized that I actually had pretty good luck.

And this is coming from someone who has never spent more than $100 on keys over 2 years of playing.

Im planning on unlocking with karma as many skins I can, before using the random Wardobe unlocks to guarantee a better chance for rare skins.

And the best part, even if I don't get the Griffon backpack after another $50 purchase this time, at a later date the griffin backpack should eventually be offered as a black statue reward.

As long as you value dye and realize that it is a common drop, I think you are really going to like the black lion chests now.

Dude, you could have converted 3300 gems into 610g in order to directly buyout the sword from the TP.And by doing this you would have saved 700 gems ( maybe an outfit, or something else ).

You are forgetting that he also received the standard three items, which are worth more than the cost of the keys. The $50 wasn't JUST giving him just the statuettes.

Good step in the right direction, they should just copy Elder Scrolls and let us sell unwanted items back for statues, I also think there needs to be more than one statue per chest or let us sell items back for a statue each item( multiple statues even depending on the rarity of the item).

A question in general, I noticed with my customer appreciation key I got a wardrobe, and dye unlock is this the new normal to guarantee you don't just get junk?

This make me regret buying 50+ keys at wintersday patch... feel like a waste of gold now but this change make me feel better convert my gold to buy keys every now and then

(Bad way to spend it I know..but don't have any specific thing to go for..so I let those boxes choose for me)

At least I think it is worth farming keys every week from now on since it add up this currency.

And hope an exclusive I want will be able to buy with this thing someday...

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:Good step in the right direction, they should just copy Elder Scrolls and let us sell unwanted items back for statues, I also think there needs to be more than one statue per chest or let us sell items back for a statue each item( multiple statues even depending on the rarity of the item).

A question in general, I noticed with my customer appreciation key I got a wardrobe, and dye unlock is this the new normal to guarantee you don't just get junk?

No you were just luckywith that key, you can get more then one I got 4 as a bonus roll on my customer appreciation key and I read about another who got +25 from theirs.

• 2 weeks later...

So I purchased another 25 keys, and got really lucky and obtained the griffon backpack and glider after 8 keys. (I opened a total 60 keys for black lion arrives chests in order to get the one item I really wanted.)

So I'm saving those remaining 17 keys for next month's black lion chests when an another exclusive item appears.

I also got the Svanrir gloves and now can afford 1 60 black statute item.

I have not purchased the elemental sword yet, but have not found it available for purchase on the trading post. Not even for 600 gold as one poster stated.

But I'm well aware that it could have taken $100 or more to get the uncommon griffon backpack set.

People are complaining that the market on dyes and weapon sets have crashed due to the Black lion chest drop rates. (For items that suddenly become common dyes or uncommon weapon drops.) But this was probably necessary so more of the gw2 gaming community could be able to afford some or all of these cool skins.

Dye prices have always been way to expensive for most people to afford them. Now the prices seem more reasonable. Who really wants to get 25 random dyes for 3500 gems?

At the end of the day, black lion chests is still gambling. Just because it took me 60 keys to obtain the griffon backpack and Svanrir gloves does not mean everyone will get this.

However, the buyer can receive some historic black lion chest item exclusives along with current items as potential drops.

I remember people used to spend $100 to open 100 chests just to get the elemental sword. Which was exactly the reason why I stayed away from black lion keys to begin with.

For the first time, I will be looking to buy another set of keys from black lion chests if something original appears later this year similar to the griffon glider/backpack.

So for $60 I got both the griffon glider/backpack, Svanrir gloves and the Elementalist sword. I'm pretty sure that 600 gold is closer in value to the 6300 gems that I spent on keys.

Yes, I recognize my own personal bias to justify future key purchases. But I'm still interested to see how everyone else is liking or not liking the new keys.

Perhaps there should be a 100 black statute option to purchase the griffon glider/backpack during the same month that it is released?

That way no one would really lose out if they want the new item, and don't happen to get it after a $100 purchase.

Would 100 black lion statutes be a reasonable amount for brand new items that are released that month?

These new chests are a huge step in the right direction by ANET.

I'm even planning on doing the weekly key farm now, when I normally never bother doing this. This comes from someone that trys to get diamond tier 6 WvW complete every week and Play ranked PvP. So doing 1 key farm won't be that much effort for 1 hour of play :)

@kinjiro.3251 said:

@Cakemeister.5792 said:I'm pretty happy, it's making the home nodes a lot more affordable.

Sorry to say that this is untrue. 8400 gems to open 100 chests=2k plus gold in conversion. You can spend $105 on gems to buy keys or you can convert that to gold and buy multiple nodes on the bltc. statuettes did not make nodes cheaper by any means.

The price of nodes was based on their drop rate, which was
way
worse than 1 in 100. You are thinking only of people that would buy chests solely for nodes, while the main impact is the incidental node generation from people that open chests for other reasons.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Cakemeister.5792 said:I'm pretty happy, it's making the home nodes a lot more affordable.

Sorry to say that this is untrue. 8400 gems to open 100 chests=2k plus gold in conversion. You can spend $105 on gems to buy keys or you can convert that to gold and buy multiple nodes on the bltc. statuettes did not make nodes cheaper by any means.

The price of nodes was based on their drop rate, which was
way
worse than 1 in 100. You are thinking only of people that would buy chests solely for nodes, while the main impact is the incidental node generation from people that open chests for other reasons.

Regardless of the details, the price of nodes went down considerably since the introduction of the statuettes. Not a single one is being sold for over 420 gold and one dropped below 100 gold. Prior to statuettes, there were no buy offers for Flaxseed or Lotus nodes and their buy offers went as high as 1000g for flax and 350g for lotus.

In other words, the home nodes are much more affordable today than before and little else changed except the statuettes.

I disagree with @Astralporing.1957 about the reason. I think most of the decrease comes from people trying to monetize their statuettes as best they can. Selling Flaxseed at 420g is worth over 4g/statuette, which is about as good as anything on the list and 4x better than trading a statuette for the junk coin.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:I disagree with @"Astralporing.1957" about the reason. I think most of the decrease comes from people trying to monetize their statuettes as best they can. Selling Flaxseed at 420g is worth over 4g/statuette, which is about as good as anything on the list and 4x better than trading a statuette for the junk coin.Oh, i actually agree with you. With "accidental node generation" i didn't mean drops, as those aren't any better now than they were before. I meant that the majority probably comes from people that get nodes from statuettes they obtained as a sideeffect of them opening the chests. So, from people that would have been opening chests anyway. I sincerely doubt that anyone actually buys chests in order to gather enough statuettes for a node as a primary goal.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:I disagree with @Astralporing.1957 about the reason. I think most of the decrease comes from people trying to monetize their statuettes as best they can. Selling Flaxseed at 420g is worth over 4g/statuette, which is about as good as anything on the list and 4x better than trading a statuette for the junk coin.Oh, i actually agree with you. With "accidental node generation" i didn't mean drops, as those aren't any better now than they were before. I meant that the majority probably comes from people that get nodes from statuettes they obtained as a
sideeffect
of them opening the chests. So, from people that would have been opening chests anyway. I sincerely doubt that anyone actually buys chests in order to gather enough statuettes for a node as a primary goal.

Oh my apologies then. I misunderstood "accidental node generation" as people buying for unlock X or Y (e.g. the glider) and having a node drop. That sounds "deliberate" to me. So, what about calling it "incidental" node generation? People buy the keys for whatever reason they buy, the same number of nodes drop as before (we presume), but the economy sees more nodes because people are choosing the nodes as the most profitable option for monetizing their "consolation prizes" (aka the statuettes).

(Of course, we don't have to agree about the word choice; the mechanic that leads to lower prices is the part that's more interesting for discussion.)

@Shirlias.8104 said:

@OutOfOrder.3719 said:I think this is the best black lion chests have ever been.

Dude, you could have converted 3300 gems into 610g in order to directly buyout the sword from the TP.And by doing this you would have saved 700 gems ( maybe an outfit, or something else ).

Isn't the Elemental Sword account bound?

@videoboy.4162 said:

It's available in the Black Lion Exclusives Chest.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

Which means he couldn't buy it off the TP, right?

It looks like the black lion exclusive chest is not account bound and can be purchased on the Trading Post.

But for the same value of 600 gold of buying it directly, I spent 6300 gems in order to receive the griffon backpack. But I also received the svarnir gloves and have enough black statutes to trade for the elementalist sword.

I definitely got the better deal. That doesn't mean everyone will get it that quickly. I have heard horror stories of one person paying $150 usd to get the griffon backpack. On the opposite side, some people got the griffon backpack with their free key/chest and didn't have to spend anything lol.

@videoboy.4162 said:

As OutOfOrder says, the chest is not account bound and thus available on the TP for around 600G.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

As OutOfOrder says, the chest is
not
account bound and thus available on the TP for around 600G.

Thanks Tanner

Archived