Mini Jackal Pup [ If you are a player who collect minis for sure, what do you think about this? ]

Shirlias.8104

About the way you it works ( MF + TP + Unidentified dyes ).

Before you comment please write down the number of Minis you own, in order to split the comments between Hardcore Minis collectors and Casual Collectors ( both opinions count, but it would have more sense if those who posts will also say the the number of minis he owns ).I am asking because i see it as a gold sink ( or something to add value to BLC ), and it is definitely not rewarding ( the way you get your new pet i mean. Just pay and you are done ).

You realize that this is the same as the Raptor Hatchling collection that was released from an earlier version of the BL chest. That one costs 224 minis plus 456 dyes; this one cost 230 minis plus about the same amount of dyes.

I think it's kind of fun, so it allows people to pick and choose a particular mini they like a build up to it or buy outright. It also is an interesting way of maintaining value for the mini drop from the BL chest.I did the raptor collection but I haven't decided about whether I'll do this one. Maybe if the price drops a bit more.

I didn't vote because I'm not altogether sure what the questions are trying to measure. There are several possible things to like/dislike about the collection (the source of the base mini, the need to combine in the mystic forge, the fact that forging isn't an automatic unlock, the actual skins involved, the collection attached to the minis, etc). I would maybe vote if the responses were: "I like mini collections like this|I don't like this type of collection|I'm not a mini collector", and obviously encourage people to elaborate. Or even better: dispense with the poll. Just ask the question and let people respond how they like.

Yeah i was aware of the raptor, but since it happened again i guess that's definitely the way ANET decided to pursue.

The raptor could have been a try, until this last patch.That's why the topic.

The question is simple, or at least that's what i assumed :lol:If you are a minis collector, do you enjoy this new way of getting any minis?

I'm a pretty dedicated mini collector (338 owned and counting), and I enjoy these steamroller mini collections as long as they don't happen too often and the base minis are available long enough for the prices to remain reasonable. I'd define "happening too often" as "more than 4 such collections per year."

I do wish that forging would unlock the minis used in the process.

I'm not a mini collector. I have a good few but am more likely to TP a mini than put it in my collection, unless it's a realistic animal or a definite construct like the watchknight.

I've unlocked yellow, red, green, black, and white in the jackal pup. I think I unlocked some raptors but didn't like them as much as the mini adult raptor (and the pup is bulky compared to the mini adult jackal). I like the system as implemented. You know what you'll get and what you'll have to spend to get it, and thanks to the customer appreciation chests/keys there are more than enough yellow jackals to keep their base price nice and low. (Their being tradeable makes the whole thing work). Plus you can target a specific color you want without having to go through every single other one. I would prefer that forging a jackal unlocks that color, since after all you are destroying it rather than selling it at that point.

Bonus: I noticed on a misclick that two reds and two yellows were forgeable. Tested it -- and got the jack-a-lope I've wanted for 5 years! Nothing so stupendous came up on four more attempts, though nothing less than rare quality dropped, so overall I lost gold given that I bound that jack-a-lope in a heartbeat. Who knows what other combos will forge something nice? (I did drop feedback in the wiki article, so hopefully a drop table will accrue on drops from that forge combo).

Just like with the Raptors, I'll be that person that gets a few dozen of these things and immediately sells them to whomever has a posting on the TP, I don't much care for the entire collection and I don't need the extras...someone or several someones will get plenty of extra minis jackals to assist in completing the collection...as long as I decide to open BLC during this time period, still haven't decided whether I'm opening 1 or multiples.

Addendum to my above post: I tried just forging 4 yellows, that being cheaper than 2 yellows and 2 reds, and got similar results. A couple of exotic minis, TP value 13 g for one and over 40 g for another, a couple of 2-3 g value rares. I know I know, giving away secrets of flipping, but it's also a way to get (random) minis you don't have yet if you're into that, for probably less than you'd have to pay directly for the specific ones you want.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:You realize that this is the same as the Raptor Hatchling collection that was released from an earlier version of the BL chest. That one costs 224 minis plus 456 dyes; this one cost 230 minis plus about the same amount of dyes.

I think it's kind of fun, so it allows people to pick and choose a particular mini they like a build up to it or buy outright. It also is an interesting way of maintaining value for the mini drop from the BL chest.I did the raptor collection but I haven't decided about whether I'll do this one. Maybe if the price drops a bit more.

I didn't vote because I'm not altogether sure what the questions are trying to measure. There are several possible things to like/dislike about the collection (the source of the base mini, the need to combine in the mystic forge, the fact that forging isn't an automatic unlock, the actual skins involved, the collection attached to the minis, etc). I would maybe vote if the responses were: "I like mini collections like this|I don't like this type of collection|I'm not a mini collector", and obviously encourage people to elaborate. Or even better: dispense with the poll. Just ask the question and let people respond how they like.

I really liked the concept of the raptor hatchling collection until I saw how many it would take. As a person who likes to unlock EVERYTHING it was a little disheartening to see how many it cost and knowing I wouldn't be able to get that many keys in time. But, with the recent addition of the statuettes I feel a little better. I can go back and buy more of them, although it will cost more than one key for each mini.

I feel a full collection of minis made this way shouldn't cost over 200 minis to complete. But that's just me. Other people could feel differently.

@"Hyper Cutter.9376" said:It's not a "money grab", if anything it's a gold/dye sink.

In order to get the yellow minis, you need keys. And unless you've farmed for keys, you're going to need to buy gems. In total, you will need 230 mini yellows to get all the minis needed. Now, I don't know about you, but that looks suspiciously like a money grab to me.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/7p91vi/jackal_combinations/dsfg3kz/

Edit: As of this posting, there were 22 yellow minis on the Trading Post. So, yes, you'll be buying more keys in the Gem Store if you want the collection . . . unless you've saved over two-hundred keys that is. Now, if you decide to buy all the minis outright on the Trading Post . . . it'll cost you a total of 811 gold as of this posting. That doesn't include the yellow one since you can get it for free. Granted, either method will sting, but you can avoid the dye sink completely. And remember . . . someone had to buy the yellows in order to make the upgraded ones now for sale on the Trading Post.

So, either way, the point stands.

@Ardenwolfe.8590 said:Again, remember, someone must have used keys/gems to create the updated minis on the Trading Post.

You are assuming that now, due to the mini, the blk purchases Somehow incrased.

To me they are always the same, because every x Weeks blc change their rewards.

So it's not a money sink, not more than it was before, since players didn't start to buy chests because Granted pups worth 1.5g each.

I'm not sure how many minis I own, and can't get in-game to check, but it's about 400. (And counting, my aim is to get all of them.)

Edit: Got home & counted: 425. And I need to pick up a few more of the karma ones from LS3 maps.

I like these collections, as long as they don't happen too often. I enjoyed the mini raptor one and actually use the minis quite often, and I'm looking forward to making the jackals (haven't had time to start yet). I will never buy black lion keys, so I won't be getting the jackal pups directly, but I don't mind buying them from the TP.

Yes it's a gold sink, but the same is true of the Set 1-3 minis, all the gem store ones (gold or real money sink) and a lot of the ones from in-game collections (as well as all GW1 minis). If you're not willing to spend a lot of gold then collecting minis pets absolutely isn't for you.

Also I think it's good for people who do buy keys, as the money they get from selling the minis can act as compensation for the money they're going to lose not getting stuff they wanted from chests. Of course the exact value will keep changing, but based on the minis raptors about 1g each seems to be the minimum.

The ones I do have a problem with are the account bound Black Lion Chest (or other gem store RNG box) ones. Like the Spooky and Wintersday mount minis. But after 5 years of telling Anet it's a bad idea and why it's a bad idea and 'voting with my wallet' I've given up and just decided to exclude those from my collection. For me they do not count and will not until there's another way to get them (which past experience tells me will happen sooner or later).

@Donari.5237 said:Addendum to my above post: I tried just forging 4 yellows, that being cheaper than 2 yellows and 2 reds, and got similar results. A couple of exotic minis, TP value 13 g for one and over 40 g for another, a couple of 2-3 g value rares. I know I know, giving away secrets of flipping, but it's also a way to get (random) minis you don't have yet if you're into that, for probably less than you'd have to pay directly for the specific ones you want.

This actually works with almost any minis.

It's like forging equipment - throw in 4 blue minis and you'll get 1 blue or better, throw in 4 greens and you'll get 1 green or better etc. So yes, forging 4 minis Jackals (any colour) will give you a rare or better mini, and I believe it can be any of the Set 1-3 minis.

This is why the Mini Kasmeer and Marjory (I think it was those ones) maintained a relatively high value when they dropped from Black Lion Chests - they were cheaper than other rare minis and could be used to create those, or exotics. Of course because that's what most of the ones on the TP were being used for the price equalized at a point where you'd typically break even compared to buying the resulting minis yourself. But it was better than the non-forgable RNG minis which rapidly became some of the cheapest on the TP, even if they were rare or exotic quality.

Archived