Character changes location while offline

It happens all the time. I log off at Pagga's Waypoint, log in falling into water. And quite often I'll log off in the middle of a map only to somehow move to the entrance. Just now went to char select in front of the bank in Bitterfrist Frontier, logged back in 5-10min later to find myself standing at the portal to Frostgorge Sound. It's becoming increasingly annoying as I have to keep wasting silver to return back to where I was. Assuming I'm not being haunted by the Ghost of GW2 Past...what gives?!

Since I can't find the edit button... The weirdness just got weirder. I was doing some random stuff with my husband and, as I'm standing right behind him, he looks at me and says "where you going?!" After some confusion, I ended up looking over his shoulder and...on his screen, my char was on the other side of a canyon, trying to scale a wall. On my screen, she was calmly sitting on her griffon right behind him.

Sounds like you have a bad internet connection and so the server struggles with knowing where you are. If the first post didn't confirm that, the thing you described in the second post is something i have only ever seen with people with awful internet connection. And by bad i mean - almost not being online at all kind of bad.

@Lexi.1398 said:Sounds like you have a bad internet connection and so the server struggles with knowing where you are. If the first post didn't confirm that, the thing you described in the second post is something i have only ever seen with people with awful internet connection. And by bad i mean - almost not being online at all kind of bad.

It's definitely not a bad connection. We share the same connection and none of that ever happens to him for starters. Plus, my ping never goes above 40. Also, my char was trying to scale a wall I haven't even been to yesterday and I neither rubberbanded there nor did she end up catching up with my position. What's more, I'm fairly certain both those things only happen on one specific char. I mean, I wouldn't know if the other 4 go for a walk because I rarely play them with my husband but I don't recall any of them taking a stroll while offline.

I'll see if repair works.

This bug has been around for over 2 years now. They tried to fix breaking out of the map by re-logging through walls, which was when I think it started happening. If the server doesn't know where to put you, it'll move you to the "first" waypoint in the map, or it'll default to Lion's Arch.

I can easily trigger it by taking one of the city portals in LA, then logging out and back in, which defaults back to LA.

There is also a different but maybe related bug that if you log out and then back in with the same character after using a WP it will bring you to the "entrance" of that map. For instance, I can replicate this by using the royal pavilion pass and then log out of the character, I go to the character select screen and choose the same character, when I load in I'll be at the entrance to the map rather than in the royal pavilion. Just about any map you do this on will reset this way. If you log into a different character it won't reset like that even if you go right back.

Archived