servers

boolah.1325

Is there a reason why there are only NA and EU servers? An EU player can play on NA with a lowish ping and vice versa. Asia and Oceania players have to choose between two high ping servers. I really don't get it..

Now that the core game is free a lot of these players could get into the game for competitive modes but are probably turned off by the ridiculous pings. I remember when HoT came out and many couldn't do certain gliding and have NA players continually call "Noob! Hold the space bar down when you jump!!" but it was mostly due to ping (client side/server side) with ANET making changes to fix it.

If you want to keep your Asian/Oceania player base for years to come, maybe look into servers that make the game playable for them? Would EU and NA players tolerate the game (PvP, WvW, raiding, large world events) with a minimum ping of 350ms?

Depends if Anet felt the investment was worth it for Asia/Oceana players.You’d need a minimum of 3 worlds for WvW, and a decent population to make it work.I don’t know Anet statistics on players in Asia/Oceana, but I’d like to think if there was a huge amount they’d have made the investment already. Which they haven’t.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:Is Arenanet in full control of the Asian server? I thought they didn't

The Chinese server is not controlled by Anet for the most part iirc. They have to be very careful of how that runs content wise, which is why it is totally independent from NA/EU.Whereas NA/EU share Trading Post, Guilds and players can swap servers to either, Chinese servers are solitary.

Archived