Need help to get good

TWMagimay.9057

I wanted a better title but didn't want it to be too long. So, here's my sad story:I regularly play with this Necro(I think he's Reaper?) and constantly feel like I'm being carried really very hard. He survives much better than me and dps-wise we are basically even(until i faceplant, that is). I don't have much experience as a dps player and, well, I can't quite figure out how to go about it.What I do know: I adore ele and staff is definitely my weapon of choice. It just feels like the combo that'd fit my general skill set best(I have never in my entire gaming life managed to cope in melee range, ever).What I have: Zojja's staff + berzerker and soldier(that was my failed attempted at better survival) exotic armour sets. I also have the karma and potential resources to get another set. Also, both HoT and PoF expansions.The goal: Mostly OW PvE and maybe fractals(the Necro wants me to go but I feel so useless), namely the ability to hold my own.What I'm looking for: A place to start, I hope eventually I'll figure out the details but, currently I can't even decide on Weaver vs Tempest. If anyone could point me in the direction of the deep end of the pool, I'd like to jump in it.

Well, if going for dps, I'd go full berserkers with weaver. With ele you really have to pick between survivability and damage, and most people pick damage. Weaver is the higher dps spec with the staff. Use fire and air specializations. You will be rather fragile, but will output great damage.

Also just be aware Necros have great survivability and Ele's is terrible. It can be real hard work to stay alive. If you play with him frequently, just try and keep your distance from enemies. My main is an ele, and I always have an easier time surviving with my necro even though I'm less familiar with it. Just know your role if with a group is pure damage. This will be helpful to know if you do fractals (which lower levels aren't that hard, and I do recommend trying it out). Let other classes like necro, warrior, and guardian take the damage while you keep your distance and stay mobile. The key is to avoid damage, and to keep yourself out of situations where you'll get hit. Though you won't always succeed, it takes practice. I have over 100 hours in my ele easy now, and I still struggle with it sometimes, so just be patient :)

Also, you can check out the builds and rotations people use. Check this out: http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Weaver_-_Staff_DPS_Fractal

The key to success as a dps ele in PvE is learning to stack. By this I mean a few separate things.

First, learn to stack with the party. Don't be afraid you're fragile. Yes, you are, but that's someone else's problem usually. Get a healer and trust him to keep you alive. In bad situations, use your utilities (namely, Sandstorm; it's awesome survival tool).

Second, stack your attacks and finally, stack your enemies. That's how you become the top dps in the game. Don't just throw your skills off cooldown at the current location of the mobs. Anticipate their movement. Kite them if you need to, stack them in one place. And place every AOE you have on that same spot. Lava Font, Meteor Shower, Lightning Storm (or Sandstorm, if you know they won't die fast enough), overloads if you're Tempest, Pyro Blast if you're Weaver, everything. Just prioritize them properly, ideally know the proper rotations.

And then just watch them melt.

@"Wentworth.6901" said:Let other classes like necro, warrior, and guardian take the damage while you keep your distance and stay mobile. The key is to avoid damage, and to keep yourself out of situations where you'll get hit. Though you won't always succeed, it takes practice. I have over 100 hours in my ele easy now, and I still struggle with it sometimes, so just be patient :)

Also, you can check out the builds and rotations people use. Check this out: http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Weaver_-_Staff_DPS_Fractal

Yeah, that's a bit of a problem since I have yet to meet a mob/boss that doesn't have a massive crush on my char. It doesn't matter where I am or what I'm doing, the moment I walk within aggro range of anything, it'll just beeline for me and stalk me until downed. I don't even need to hit mobs, just swapping attunements is enough to get their attention. Just yesterday I was killing Breacher in Tarir and it took all of 3 seconds for 2 archers and a frog to start humping me. In the rare cases I manage to avoid getting persistent aggro from everything within viewing distance, it goes OK. Most of the time though, that's not the case.

And, yeah, i was looking at that build last night, was going to check it out today since I currently run with Tempest and what seems to be a few months old in terms of meta.

99% pvp guy but I do sometimes pve content now-then. During pre-hot era I was doing fractals and dungeons and I think it's still true that a lot depends on your muscle memory (instantly doing water field combos. In old days before hot it was recommended to learn how to dodge and use all 4 atuments to survive on d/d build first then staff. Now I think it's just easier to go tempest staff as it's pukes with heals outside of weapon skills and with traits from earth you have almost permanent protection boon uptime (40% power damage reduction?...I don't remember well).

For stat's choices I personally recommend marauder but few celestial parts might be a thing you.

Muscle memory is no easy to train these days in fun way so I advise to run with zergs in wvw with dps staff build. It will be hard...but nothing teaches you better then being chased by 30 angry people. This is how I started my adventure with ele before HoT. GL sir

First, I would recommend the zerk / valkyrie rings. That extra survivability helps, and it's easy to reach 100% crit as weaver anyway.

Second, learn what each of your abilities does. Idk how you do it but I find it very easy to survive as a staff ele in open world. AoE blind with sandstorm or air #2, CC the mobs into oblivion with the multiple abilities you got for it (shockwave, frozen ground, static field, gust, unsteady ground, water / earth #3, etc) and just aoe the hell out of them while keeping your distance (burning retreat helps).

Reaper can't hold a candle dps wise to staff ele. If you really need the survivability then get it from your utilities (arcane shield, lightning flash, mist form, glyph of storms - earth, signet of air for a blind) or trait line (water with aquamancer's training over fire or air trait line). As you get more comfy you'll start switching to more dps oriented utilities like signet of fire (extra prec) or ice bow / lightning hammer.

@Razor.6392 said:First, I would recommend the zerk / valkyrie rings. That extra survivability helps, and it's easy to reach 100% crit as weaver anyway.

Second, learn what each of your abilities does. Idk how you do it but I find it very easy to survive as a staff ele in open world. AoE blind with sandstorm or air #2, CC the mobs into oblivion with the multiple abilities you got for it (shockwave, frozen ground, static field, gust, unsteady ground, water / earth #3, etc) and just aoe the hell out of them while keeping your distance (burning retreat helps).

Reaper can't hold a candle dps wise to staff ele. If you really need the survivability then get it from your utilities (arcane shield, lightning flash, mist form, glyph of storms - earth, signet of air for a blind) or trait line (water with aquamancer's training over fire or air trait line). As you get more comfy you'll start switching to more dps oriented utilities like signet of fire (extra prec) or ice bow / lightning hammer.

I want to emphasize the usefulness of the water traitline for helping you survive. While learning, I always traited water, it helps SO much with survival, I had full berserkers but could just heal my way through tough spots. I would do that until you get more comfortable with your active defenses.

@reikken.4961 said:power reaper is the tankiest dps in the gameweaver is the squishiestalso without outside buffs, weaver doesn't actually do more dps, as reaper is better at self stacking might. staff weaver is only actually good when supported by a party

Pre-stacking might on weaver is trivial, took me 2 attempts to learn. But I don't need to bother. The burst damage the Weaver has with zero buffs will still be far above the reaper's. By the time you need to worry about sustained damage, the target is either dead or you're playing group content and you should have a support anyway.

My tip for getting better is, learn to kite. It took me a while to learn to kite enemies and most of the time you need to be constantly moving. Other classes like warrior can just facetank damage. This was for me a big thing because now i can survive longer and do damage at same time. Also as eles we need to do much more work with the keyboard.

Here is just a funny and old video to describe ele. (not my video)

So, I've been using the fractal build for a few days and that brought up a couple of questions.I ended up replacing Primordial stance with Twist of fate because a) the extra dodges are very useful when bosses decide to stalk me and b) I don't actually understand what the skill does. I get the condition part of it but the "deals damage based on your current attunement" aspect is lost on me. I'm guessing it's a good damage skill but can't seem to figure out why or, as a result, how to use it.I've run in roughly the same issue with the Weaver elite skill. If I understand it correctly, it gives a certain buff for every element used while it's active and once all elements have been used, you get 10 seconds of awesomeness and what is Tailored Victory? Does it automatically happen once Perfect Weave starts/ends or does it happen if perfect Weave is not achieved or is it something I can activate and forfeit Perfect Weave?

@"TWMagimay.9057" said:So, I've been using the fractal build for a few days and that brought up a couple of questions.I ended up replacing Primordial stance with Twist of fate because a) the extra dodges are very useful when bosses decide to stalk me and b) I don't actually understand what the skill does. I get the condition part of it but the "deals damage based on your current attunement" aspect is lost on me. I'm guessing it's a good damage skill but can't seem to figure out why or, as a result, how to use it.I've run in roughly the same issue with the Weaver elite skill. If I understand it correctly, it gives a certain buff for every element used while it's active and once all elements have been used, you get 10 seconds of awesomeness and what is Tailored Victory? Does it automatically happen once Perfect Weave starts/ends or does it happen if perfect Weave is not achieved or is it something I can activate and forfeit Perfect Weave?

Definitely put Primordial Stance back on immediately if you are traiting any condi. Its probably your strongest skill. It gives off 5 pulses, each giving 2 conditions based on your attunements. For example, if you are water/fire each pulse will give 1 stack of chill and burn. The strongest is when double attuned to fire, it gives 2 stacks of fire each pulse, for a whopping 10 stacks in 5 seconds! This is where a lot of damage comes from.

Perfect Weave is a bit of an odd skill. When you activate it, it gives you the listed buffs when you attune to the relevant attunement. Once you attune to all, you get Perfect Weave for 10 seconds. Tailored Victory is an activated skill, and will not just happen when perfect weave ends. You want to activate it yourself right before it ends, as it removes perfect weave. Personally I find it a bit lackluster.

@"TWMagimay.9057" said:So, I've been using the fractal build for a few days and that brought up a couple of questions.I ended up replacing Primordial stance with Twist of fate because a) the extra dodges are very useful when bosses decide to stalk me and b) I don't actually understand what the skill does. I get the condition part of it but the "deals damage based on your current attunement" aspect is lost on me. I'm guessing it's a good damage skill but can't seem to figure out why or, as a result, how to use it.I've run in roughly the same issue with the Weaver elite skill. If I understand it correctly, it gives a certain buff for every element used while it's active and once all elements have been used, you get 10 seconds of awesomeness and what is Tailored Victory? Does it automatically happen once Perfect Weave starts/ends or does it happen if perfect Weave is not achieved or is it something I can activate and forfeit Perfect Weave?

Primordial Stance does 5 damage ticks and does pretty decent damage. The correct way to use it is to cast it as you dual-attune fire for maximum damage and 10% bonus from Elements of Rage.

Weave Self is used to trigger said buff. It also slightly changes the rotation as you can dual-attune Fire immediately at the start for extra MS damage.

@Wentworth.6901 said:

Definitely put Primordial Stance back on immediately if you are traiting any condi. Its probably your strongest skill.

That's the thing though...am I supposed to have conditions? As far as I can tell, any condition-related stats and traits I have start and end with Burning Precision. Is a primarily condition-based damage skill really worth that much when one has no condition damage to speak of? Or is the passive nature of the damage enough to make it viable?

PS: I picked the most complicated class, didn't I....

@TWMagimay.9057 said:

Definitely put Primordial Stance back on immediately if you are traiting any condi. Its probably your strongest skill.

That's the thing though...am I supposed to have conditions? As far as I can tell, any condition-related stats and traits I have start and end with Burning Precision. Is a primarily condition-based damage skill really worth that much when one has no condition damage to speak of? Or is the passive nature of the damage enough to make it viable?

PS: I picked the most complicated class, didn't I....

Burning precision helps, but a condition build certainly doesn't revolve around it. Sword weaver has many ways to apply burns and bleeds. Fire 1 2 3 4, fire/air 3, fire/earth 3, fire/water 3, and primordial stance all apply burn. With burning precision, rube of Balthazar, and weaver adept 1 you can get up to 85% burning duration. And don't forget there's plenty of bleed too. In my opinion, sword weaver is best as a condi or hybrid build. If you don't trait for some condi I feel it's a wasted opportunity. If you are going power though, I don't think primordial stance is worth it. If you want, I could throw my build together on the build editor to show you.

Yes, you did pick perhaps the most complicated class :)

I would recommend playing Tempest over Weaver as Weaver only really outclasses Tempest in optimal situations and even then only if you're really really good with Weaver - in Open World I'd argue that Weaver is never better than Tempest unless Weaver is more fun to play for you. Tempest has more accessible AoE's and more accessible survival tools and is more survivable over all.

Most important thing about ele (build aside) is beeing able to position yourself and learn to dodge - both with evasive movement and dodge roll, evasive movements are really important as Ele since you don't have a lot of invul/evasion frames/endurance and you don't have much armor/HP either so you have to be able to stay alive without getting out of position too much and you can't afford to interrupt your damage rotation too much without risking to drop a lot of dps.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQFAWn0XCdOgNNAWPA8RgFBAzN1ObrtBBgCwBQ4SeBSBA-j1BBQBnUJIAuAA5RHgGVihl9HlHB4BAUJ1fAA-wThis is a pretty straight forward tempest build - you can pick either of the three grandmaster Tempest traits, if you feel like you need some more Healing you can take Elemental Bastion, if Movement impairing Conditions bother you then you can take Lucid Singularity and my favorite is Imbued Melodies because Sand Squall grants magnetic Aura which helps against some annoying mobs in Fractals (Harpies). But it doesn't really matter, just choose your favorite there.Another change you could make is change Bolt to the Heart in the Air traitline to fresh Air (I prefer fresh Air) which allows you to cast your Air Overload more frequently.

The way you play this build is: Cast Meteor Shower and Lava Font whenever you're in fire, use Frost Bow whenever you're fighting a tough foe (use Skill Nr. 2, 3 and 4 and then drop the Bow, except when you need CC then cast 5 as well) Use both Fire Overload and Air overload as much as possible, use Glyph of Storms on Air Attunement on tough foes whenever possible. Use Lightning Flash only in situations where you can't dodge or walk out of! (This is important, it's really powerful to always have an out with Lightning Flash available but it's even better if you get good enough that you don't need it!)On Bosses you should use Fiery Greatsword and cast skills 4 and 5 (and 3 if you can whirl against a wall with the boss in between) But don't drop it, spamm AA on FGS and try to use as many Fire and Air Overloads as possible with FGS equipped (With Fresh Air trait you can cast Air overload, switch to another attunement and right back to Air!)

If you need Healing don't be shy to use your Healing skill and remember that it heals nearby allies as well which can be very useful. On Water you have 2 additional Healing Skills which also support your group and always use freezing Field as well when you're on water - against bosses it is an additional soft cc which can be very useful.Earth should almost never be used, only for Fresh Air food to get back into Air or when you absolutely need that magnetic Aura.On Air you only really care about your CC and the Overload (and Swiftness in between).

In the end the most important thing is to learn to position yourself and to dodge effectively (not just with dodge roll but also with evasive movements) you'll automatically start doing more damage once you don't have to spend so much time on not dying, and not dying will soon come natural to you.

@TWMagimay.9057 said:I wanted a better title but didn't want it to be too long. So, here's my sad story:I regularly play with this Necro(I think he's Reaper?) and constantly feel like I'm being carried really very hard. He survives much better than me and dps-wise we are basically even(until i faceplant, that is). I don't have much experience as a dps player and, well, I can't quite figure out how to go about it.What I do know: I adore ele and staff is definitely my weapon of choice. It just feels like the combo that'd fit my general skill set best(I have never in my entire gaming life managed to cope in melee range, ever).What I have: Zojja's staff + berzerker and soldier(that was my failed attempted at better survival) exotic armour sets. I also have the karma and potential resources to get another set. Also, both HoT and PoF expansions.The goal: Mostly OW PvE and maybe fractals(the Necro wants me to go but I feel so useless), namely the ability to hold my own.What I'm looking for: A place to start, I hope eventually I'll figure out the details but, currently I can't even decide on Weaver vs Tempest. If anyone could point me in the direction of the deep end of the pool, I'd like to jump in it.

I had the same issues with you on my Ele, I couldn't for the life of me survive properly in PvE, even story instances gave me trouble which is mind blowing considering I main Mesmer and never once did I die in it (until HoT that is)Melee was an absolute NO on my Ele even though it's my prefered playstyle on Mesmer and Staff although ranged lacks in everything except DPS so I went with the middle choice, Scepter and used Focus as off hand for it's defensive nature (warhorn is nice too for the heals in case you play Tempest), it worked fine and the DPS loss is not that big in general PvE content. Maybe you can give that a shot.

@Wentworth.6901 said:Burning precision helps, but a condition build certainly doesn't revolve around it. Sword weaver has many ways to apply burns and bleeds. Fire 1 2 3 4, fire/air 3, fire/earth 3, fire/water 3, and primordial stance all apply burn. With burning precision, rube of Balthazar, and weaver adept 1 you can get up to 85% burning duration. And don't forget there's plenty of bleed too. In my opinion, sword weaver is best as a condi or hybrid build. If you don't trait for some condi I feel it's a wasted opportunity. If you are going power though, I don't think primordial stance is worth it. If you want, I could throw my build together on the build editor to show you.

Well, I use staff because, as far as DDs go, I prefer the classical glass cannon mage over any sort of melee combat style. What bothers me about Primordial Stance is that, I'd at least assume, it requires a certain amount of condition damage to be effective while my lil ele only has the condition damage that the dev gave her and the rest is heavily stacked on power(full berzerker gear and all).

As for Tempest vs Weaver... Tempest is a lot more charge/cast time oriented while Weaver skills tend to go off much faster. Would it be fair to say that Tempest is better for stationary targets with large hp pools while Weaver excels in more mobile fights?

Also, also, is it my imagination or do asura cast faster than sylvari?

@TWMagimay.9057 said:Also, also, is it my imagination or do asura cast faster than sylvari?

Asura in genral feel faster than other classes due to their size but they are not, for example in order for an Asura to have the same speed as a Human it needs to take bigger steps which makes them look more energetic than other races, same goes for the opposite; the Norn, they feel like slow moving tracks but speed cast and movement in general is universal for all races.

@MikeL.8260 said:

@TWMagimay.9057 said:Also, also, is it my imagination or do asura cast faster than sylvari?

Asura in genral feel faster than other classes due to their size but they are not, for example in order for an Asura to have the same speed as a Human it needs to take bigger steps which makes them look more energetic than other races, same goes for the opposite; the Norn, they feel like slow moving tracks but speed cast and movement in general is universal for all races.

Well, the reason it feels faster is, erh, when I cast staff fire 2 or 3 on the sylvari, I have to pause after pressing the button or the skill won't go off. On the other hand, I can just keep tapping buttons on the asura and skills never fail like that. Asura are so cute though, walk with such determination :D

@TWMagimay.9057 said:

@Wentworth.6901 said:Burning precision helps, but a condition build certainly doesn't revolve around it. Sword weaver has many ways to apply burns and bleeds. Fire 1 2 3 4, fire/air 3, fire/earth 3, fire/water 3, and primordial stance all apply burn. With burning precision, rube of Balthazar, and weaver adept 1 you can get up to 85% burning duration. And don't forget there's plenty of bleed too. In my opinion, sword weaver is best as a condi or hybrid build. If you don't trait for some condi I feel it's a wasted opportunity. If you are going power though, I don't think primordial stance is worth it. If you want, I could throw my build together on the build editor to show you.

Well, I use staff because, as far as DDs go, I prefer the classical glass cannon mage over any sort of melee combat style. What bothers me about Primordial Stance is that, I'd at least assume, it requires a certain amount of condition damage to be effective while my lil ele only has the condition damage that the dev gave her and the rest is heavily stacked on power(full berzerker gear and all).

As for Tempest vs Weaver... Tempest is a lot more charge/cast time oriented while Weaver skills tend to go off much faster. Would it be fair to say that Tempest is better for stationary targets with large hp pools while Weaver excels in more mobile fights?

Also, also, is it my imagination or do asura cast faster than sylvari?

Primordial stance, imo, is only worth it on sword with a condi build. Staff with berserker it would probably be a waste.Staff in general is an aoe weapon better against mobs and large enemies that stay still. Tempest is less mobile, but I wouldn't call weaver staff mobile. Sword dagger is the most mobile. Staff users generally stay at range and don't move too much. Scepter is pretty mobile though, you could try scepter fresh air weaver.

@TWMagimay.9057 said:Well, the reason it feels faster is, erh, when I cast staff fire 2 or 3 on the sylvari, I have to pause after pressing the button or the skill won't go off. On the other hand, I can just keep tapping buttons on the asura and skills never fail like that. Asura are so cute though, walk with such determination :DI also have to pause and my elementalist is an asura, so idk. Maybe it would be even worse on a sylvari you say? Hmm.For the lava font, I think it depends on where you put it (sometimes I have to repeat the skill, for example if I select another player or the mob itself, so I usually put it not completely centered, which might be a waste for the following Arcane Wave, in case some ally was out of the field).

TwilightSoul gave you very good advices, not only as traits, but also with the most useful skills to use (I use exactly the same build, apart from Lucid Singularity instead of Imbued Melodies), but I never used the Frost Bow (I'll give it a try, thanks Twilight!). I can just add the combo staff 3 - 2 in water (to heal allies stacked on the boss for example, or yourself if you don't have too much pressure). The 5 is self explanatory. From Earth I only use 5 and 2, on big bosses, if no one else if using enough CC. It might be a waste though, idk.

• 2 weeks later...

@TWMagimay.9057 said:What I have: Zojja's staff + berzerker and soldier(that was my failed attempted at better survival) exotic armour sets. I also have the karma and potential resources to get another set. Also, both HoT and PoF expansions.

That soldier gear is perhaps one of the greatest enemies to your survivability. You mention a lot of enemies making a beeline for you, and it is because of that. The toughness stat also makes you a more 'threatening' target. The more toughness you have the more likely something is to target you. It is great if you want to go for tanking/full out survival setup but it is more a liability if you are just trying to boost your survivability a bit. If you want to be more survivable get vit, not toughness. So ditch those soldier pieces ASAP and potentially replace them with marauder, or valkyrie.

@Eruaph.4039 said:

@TWMagimay.9057 said:What I have: Zojja's staff + berzerker and soldier(that was my failed attempted at better survival) exotic armour sets. I also have the karma and potential resources to get another set. Also, both HoT and PoF expansions.

That soldier gear is perhaps one of the greatest enemies to your survivability. You mention a lot of enemies making a beeline for you, and it is because of that. The toughness stat also makes you a more 'threatening' target. The more toughness you have the more likely something is to target you. It is great if you want to go for tanking/full out survival setup but it is more a liability if you are just trying to boost your survivability a bit. If you want to be more survivable get vit, not toughness. So ditch those soldier pieces ASAP and potentially replace them with marauder, or valkyrie.

You got it backwards. I got the soldier gear BECAUSE mobs were beelining for me. I did read that toughness attracts enemies so after a particularly annoying boss fight where the boss kept coming for me until i was downed and most of the time even until I was dead. I had to respawn a few times and every time, the moment I got back to the fight and just tapped him slightly, he'd stalk me relentlessly until I was again downed or dead. After that fight, I(in full berzerker gear) compared toughness to the rest of the party and found out I was 2nd lowest in terms of all defensive stats(the lowest one was another elementalist who'd just hit lvl 80) with one of the necro's having nearly double of everything(toughness, defence, hp, vitality).

I seem to have gotten somewhat better at it, proudly doing t1 fractals without crying myself to sleep afterwards. Those extra 2-ish dodges sure did help. Speaking of, there's this thing that has been bothering me for some time and I don't really know how to google for it. So, some skills have charges/uses, like arcane blast and that double dodge skill. Why is the cooldown so weird? You know how if you have 2 charges, you can do the second charge shortly after the first one. Then the skill will go on a ~15sec cooldown at the end of which you'll only have 1 charge and then a much longer cooldown than that. It's really confusing.

It is ammunition system.There is recharge between use, usually very short, and recharge for ammunition. The latter is longer obviously.

Example with Arcane blast:3 charges, 1s recharge between use. But each charge take 20s to recharge.So, you need one minute to fully charge it. And then, you can use 3 charges in 2s.

Archived