Damage in WvW needs nerf

EremiteAngel.9765

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@X T D.6458 said:Yea Mesmer burst damage is ridiculous, and has been for some time. Anet continues to buff their damage while stealth is still unbalanced and broken, power creep is still unbalanced and broken. Balance department doesn't know what they are doing and doesn't care about wvw.

Mesmer power burst and mirage condi application is way over the top.Firebrand healing and sustain is way too powerful.Thief still broken because of stealth spam.Holosmith damage is way over the top.Warriors are still broken in small scale.Rev is a poorly constructed class, and power damage is over the top.Necro is mostly forced into one poorly designed spec.Ele still garbage.

Stealth is broken as always.CC spammed like crazy, like always.

GG balance department, keep up the fabulous job.

It means everyone needs to be nerfed, what's the difference afterwards?

@K THEN.5162 said:

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:Thank you for sharing. I would like to clarify that this isn't a 'crusade' against you or mesmers in general.

It is more the insane burst damage from stealth that I felt needs to be nerfed and as Deceiver pointed out, perhaps the biggest culprit is the lack of tells for such a huge setup.

I consider myself to be pretty aware of my surroundings but I never saw you or any tells of you going invis when you caught me with the burst.

Would you share how long you can stack invis with your build?

Hi there! No need to worry about me feeling attacked, I understand that power mesmer can be quite frustrating to those on the receiving end. With the PU build, I can stack up to 12 seconds of undetected stealth using Mass Invisibility and Decoy and 16 1/2 when I decide to cast mesmer torch 4. This definitely gives me more than enough time to close in on unsuspecting players travelling in my general direction. In regards to dealing with the untelegraphed burst, I came up with 2 possible solutions that power mesmer mains would probably hate me for:
  1. The clone spawns on the 3rd bounce of mirrorblade. If this was implemented, it would greatly lower the mesmer's instant burst while still maintaining it's total damage using the same rotation but stopping the 100-0 from stealth shenanigans.
  2. When you start casting mirrorblade, it debuffs you with reveal, similar to death's judgement. This change, though appearing more bizarre on paper, would keep the same amount of burst damage on mesmer, however it gives your opponent some counterplay if they manage to spot the animation.

Not gonna lie, if either of these changes were implemented, I would more than likely retire my build. However, I am quite passionate about this game and I care deeply about it's overall health in regards to balancing so I understand that certain builds must be eliminated for the sake of preserving build diversity.

All the best with roaming!

But...this is impossible. The mesmer forums think you can only stack .005 seconds of stealth, and only extremely bad players are killed by GS Shatter builds. And the tell is bigger than Death's Judgement, plus if you miss your burst, the game automatically deletes your mesmer!!! Did...is...is it possible that the Mesmer forums maybe...overzealously defend these shenanigans and gave me incorrect info? No...that cannot be. They are truly pillars of unbiased reasoning.

@Demon.6743 said:

@X T D.6458 said:Yea Mesmer burst damage is ridiculous, and has been for some time. Anet continues to buff their damage while stealth is still unbalanced and broken, power creep is still unbalanced and broken. Balance department doesn't know what they are doing and doesn't care about wvw.

Mesmer power burst and mirage condi application is way over the top.Firebrand healing and sustain is way too powerful.Thief still broken because of stealth spam.Holosmith damage is way over the top.Warriors are still broken in small scale.Rev is a poorly constructed class, and power damage is over the top.Necro is mostly forced into one poorly designed spec.Ele still garbage.

It means everyone needs to be nerfed, what's the difference afterwards?

Not everything needs to be nerfed into oblivion, just toned down. Firebrand healing and sustain for example. Mesmers are outright broken, stealth spam, blocks, invulns, clone spam, insane burst damage and condi application, a lot of mobility...it needs to see nerfs, its too much for one class to be able to do all at once.

@Bish.8627 said:

Gave you a thumbs up, but do disagree with you moderately. Holosmith and necro. You probably play necro, as do I, but both reaper and scourge need toning down. Reaper needs either changes to shroud so they don't do good damage while having 2 lives and scourge needs less condi application. Holosmith does ok damage, but no where near mesmer, thief, ranger, rev (hammer) and ele (staff) not to mention the Holosmith moves are massively telegraphed and literally flashing lights at you to dodge. Holosmith right now, is the only fully balanced profession, mid reward but high risk, compared to mesmer very low risk high reward.

Warrior is so nerfed now I love seeing the rare warrior roamer on my rev, engi or necro, gg ez. Ele other than staff is garbage I agree. Rev is ok, but does need work, hammer can do good damage and they can survive a good amount of damage, but that is all. And finally firebrand is fine, my holo can do ok against their healing, but I try not to waste time on the zerg builds and focus the spike damage aoe guys.

I agree with thief and mesmer fully.

Holo is balanced in pvp, but not in wvw. Especially for melee classes. Need to run when they switch to Holo mode, luckily survived and think it's my turn now. They simple jump away and if you chase, mines waiting for you.... not even mentioning the jump shot critical my 2700 armor warrior 9000 dmg....

Bringing PvP sets into WvW is not the answer. A little unbalanced gameplay is what brings meaning to hard work for ascended/legendary stats, and what separates new players from vets who've had time to improve gear and builds. However I do agree that some abilities and powercreep need to be toned wayyyy down. Just been getting worse as more things are added to the game, and we all know it's not being balanced effectively.

The mirror blade combo is what people are generally using. The long cast time is enough time to trigger blink and diversion, then when the skill lands you can immediately shatter again (with a quick jaunt to create another clone first). You daze, blind and apply 5 stacks of vulnerability on the first shatter (and you can do it from stealth), so it gives roamers no chance.

It's one of the trickier moves to pull off but doable with some practice. Wouldn't be surprised if kids were using macros though.

I think some people are being a bit too defensive here. I'm not saying that everyone is using macros and I haven't singled anyone out or accused anyone specifically of using one to do Mesmer burst. If you practice enough you can build muscle memory where executing things like that becomes natural. What I'm saying is that gaming mice are very common and there are a lot of people who will use them to execute something like Mesmer burst.

As far as being aware. No amount of awareness is going to help you if the Mesmer takes a good approach using invisibility and it seems like the Mesmer in the footage is using PU (a bit unusual for power) which means he could stealth around a corner somewhere and approach you from very far away in full stealth. And since it's a oneshot build it is worth doing that since you won't need to use your stealth defensively since your target will be downed unless they do a lucky random dodge or have some kind of passive low-health or death immunity.

One shotting from stealth is not skillful nor are passive immunities. They both need to go away, IMO. But, they aren't the only things wrong with this game.

@Oozo.7856 said:I think some people are being a bit too defensive here. I'm not saying that everyone is using macros and I haven't singled anyone out or accused anyone specifically of using one to do Mesmer burst. If you practice enough you can build muscle memory where executing things like that becomes natural. What I'm saying is that gaming mice are very common and there are a lot of people who will use them to execute something like Mesmer burst.

As far as being aware. No amount of awareness is going to help you if the Mesmer takes a good approach using invisibility and it seems like the Mesmer in the footage is using PU (a bit unusual for power) which means he could stealth around a corner somewhere and approach you from very far away in full stealth. And since it's a oneshot build it is worth doing that since you won't need to use your stealth defensively since your target will be downed unless they do a lucky random dodge or have some kind of passive low-health or death immunity.

One shotting from stealth is not skillful nor are passive immunities. They both need to go away, IMO. But, they aren't the only things wrong with this game.

I agree with you. Macros have tarnished the names of skilled key-pressors and not everyone who manages to pull off such combos are bots. Just like in FPS games where people with good muscle memory are sometimes mistaken for hackers. It's sad in the gaming world really.

@Roxanne.6140 said:

@Oozo.7856 said:I think some people are being a bit too defensive here. I'm not saying that everyone is using macros and I haven't singled anyone out or accused anyone specifically of using one to do Mesmer burst. If you practice enough you can build muscle memory where executing things like that becomes natural. What I'm saying is that gaming mice are very common and there are a lot of people who will use them to execute something like Mesmer burst.

I agree with you. Macros have tarnished the names of skilled key-pressors and not everyone who manages to pull off such combos are bots. Just like in FPS games where people with good muscle memory are sometimes mistaken for hackers. It's sad in the gaming world really.

With a decent keybinding it is possible to do them almost as fast as skill being macroed.And Roxanne.6140 that's exactly how i lost my CS account, im based alot on fast reflexes and sound due being a quaker and mostly use rail guns, and when u do some headshots with slingshot movements on CS, there it goes....

Still it is possible that on gw2 there alot of desync happening, and it feels like it was a burst out of macro, the issue with macro IMO is when cheaters combine macros+package editing, that is really nasty and broken.

@Aeolus.3615 said:

With a decent keybinding it is possible to do them almost as fast as skill being macroed.And Roxanne.6140 that's exactly how i lost my CS account, im based alot on fast reflexes and sound due being a quaker and mostly use rail guns, and when u do some headshots with slingshot movements, there it goes.....

Still it is possible that on gw2 there alot of desync happening, and it feels like it was a burst out of macro, the issue with macro IMO is when cheaters combine macros+package editing, that is really nasty and broken.

CS is filled with player authority abuse. Not to me I wish I could be good at that game but to my brother who got reported as a hacker and lost access to one of the servers. I main sniper on other games ;) So essentially you get banned if you are too good rofl. Back to topic, pretty sure packet editing constitutes hacking and should be a straight out bannable offense.

@Demon.6743 said:

Gave you a thumbs up, but do disagree with you moderately. Holosmith and necro. You probably play necro, as do I, but both reaper and scourge need toning down. Reaper needs either changes to shroud so they don't do good damage while having 2 lives and scourge needs less condi application. Holosmith does ok damage, but no where near mesmer, thief, ranger, rev (hammer) and ele (staff) not to mention the Holosmith moves are massively telegraphed and literally flashing lights at you to dodge. Holosmith right now, is the only fully balanced profession, mid reward but high risk, compared to mesmer very low risk high reward.

Warrior is so nerfed now I love seeing the rare warrior roamer on my rev, engi or necro, gg ez. Ele other than staff is garbage I agree. Rev is ok, but does need work, hammer can do good damage and they can survive a good amount of damage, but that is all. And finally firebrand is fine, my holo can do ok against their healing, but I try not to waste time on the zerg builds and focus the spike damage aoe guys.

I agree with thief and mesmer fully.

Holo is balanced in pvp, but not in wvw. Especially for melee classes. Need to run when they switch to Holo mode, luckily survived and think it's my turn now. They simple jump away and if you chase, mines waiting for you.... not even mentioning the jump shot critical my 2700 armor warrior 9000 dmg....

You won't have mines and rocket boots on the same build. If they do you shouldn't be losing to them. For any build to be effective in WvW Engineer needs alchemy, which means we use potions (the annoying one that makes us tiny but not able to attack for 3 seconds and one that breaks stun and has a toolbelt skill to either throw a smoke range block or reflect, these two usually but some slot the anti condition potion too).

The second spec then is where the next utility is decided. Inventions will give access to an improved rocket boots, which in my opinion is the only time worth using them, unless you pick explosives, which gives you a bit more damage at the expense of that escape and then only with the elite pick in explosives do you get mines. Mines are also only activated in dodge and do little damage per mine, if you are close to the engie when they dodge, you might be getting hit by exhaust fumes, the holo spec elite skill combined with the player running through 3 spread out mines, it can hit quite hard, this is effectively 4 hits. So you can pick rocket boots and mines, but I doubt many do as the boots minus the spec don't take you very far and don't give super speed at the end of it.

Jump shot is on a massive cooldown, has a long wind up and a massive telegraphed leap, it hits less than skills from most other classes, considering its the big hitter of the rifle, its pretty poor, as is rifle in general, but outside of kits engineer lacks options.

@intox.6347 said:

@Kirnale.5914 said:Jump dodges can be easily done without macro.

100% jump dodges throughout an entire movie = macro

It means they can hit two keys at the same time and had enough endurance to dodge 100% of the time. It's seriously not complicated, and not worth a macro.

I really don't understand people who think that jump dodging 100% of the time means you're using a macro. If pressing 2 buttons at a time seems like a task to you you've got to reevaluate your personal skill level. Then again, I've been accused of using macros on my videos when I even have my keyboard onscreen for everyone to see.

It is actually laughable to me that people think that most good mesmers are using a macro for their burst as well. Using a macro to pull of a burst is just going to make you predictable and easy to kill since all it takes is one competent opponent to learn how to dodge it. As far as NA roaming mesmers, the 5 I consider the best don't use macros guaranteed, and I have never come across a any class that stood out as having a lot of macro users. Hey what do I know though, only played since launch almost exclusively WvW.

People claim getting 1 shot is rampant with these builds out there, but I can count on my hand the number of times since PoF I have been 1 shot by any class let alone mesmers and that is having played marauder revenant and marauder core guardian the majority of the time since PoF launch. The hardest thing to admit is that you're getting outplayed.

I saw in your videos you are very capable to handle fight, but it looks like you really didnt met this 1shot mes yet. Good ones not many around.... some of them on macros... but u can sometimes spot them how they play, one combo... hide and wait till all ready. I sometimes play it too.. but in mirage variant... full glass and most of classes going down on one combo. Dont like this gameplay... coz im feeling im cheating... Its not dueling... like 1v1 and see who is better, its just surprise 1 shot in face, bb wp.

He is a member of a guild that is good at roaming and the guild itself has a mesmer who teaches folks how to one-shot. You're wrong on the thought that the hasn't faced one.

On topic: I'd love to see one-shots from stealth go away (in fact, I'd love to see stealth go away) but we'd be talking about a different game at that point. They could slap a reveal at the start of Mirror Blade cast to give some time to react but then I'd argue that all skills should apply reveal if used in stealth.

@Klipso.8653 said:

@shagwell.1349 said:Reddit is relevant how?

The Devs have always communicated via Redddit far more frequently than these official forums.

and why, I ask. what's the purpose of these boards then if the devs communicate through other channels?

Couldn't tell you, they've never publicly said why.

Yes they have. Something about the way Reddit being laid out. Easier for them to use and keep track of threads.

Was about a year ago.

@Loosmaster.8263 said:

@shagwell.1349 said:Reddit is relevant how?

The Devs have always communicated via Redddit far more frequently than these official forums.

and why, I ask. what's the purpose of these boards then if the devs communicate through other channels?

Couldn't tell you, they've never publicly said why.

Yes they have. Something about the way Reddit being laid out. Easier for them to use and keep track of threads.

Was about a year ago.

2 things to say about that:

1) they made new forums that they could have designed they way they can keep track of things2) they keep track of things? from the state of the game it doesn't look like it.

@Hackuuna.4085 said:

It means they can hit two keys at the same time and had enough endurance to dodge 100% of the time. It's seriously not complicated, and not worth a macro.

I really don't understand people who think that jump dodging 100% of the time means you're using a macro. If pressing 2 buttons at a time seems like a task to you you've got to reevaluate your personal skill level. Then again, I've been accused of using macros on my videos when I even have my keyboard onscreen for everyone to see.

It is actually laughable to me that people think that most good mesmers are using a macro for their burst as well. Using a macro to pull of a burst is just going to make you predictable and easy to kill since all it takes is one competent opponent to learn how to dodge it. As far as NA roaming mesmers, the 5 I consider the best don't use macros guaranteed, and I have never come across a any class that stood out as having a lot of macro users. Hey what do I know though, only played since launch almost exclusively WvW.

People claim getting 1 shot is rampant with these builds out there, but I can count on my hand the number of times since PoF I have been 1 shot by any class let alone mesmers and that is having played marauder revenant and marauder core guardian the majority of the time since PoF launch. The hardest thing to admit is that you're getting outplayed.

I saw in your videos you are very capable to handle fight, but it looks like you really didnt met this 1shot mes yet. Good ones not many around.... some of them on macros... but u can sometimes spot them how they play, one combo... hide and wait till all ready. I sometimes play it too.. but in mirage variant... full glass and most of classes going down on one combo. Dont like this gameplay... coz im feeling im cheating... Its not dueling... like 1v1 and see who is better, its just surprise 1 shot in face, bb wp.

He is a member of a guild that is good at roaming and the guild itself has a mesmer who teaches folks how to one-shot. You're wrong on the thought that the hasn't faced one.

On topic: I'd love to see one-shots from stealth go away (in fact, I'd love to see stealth go away) but we'd be talking about a different game at that point. They could slap a reveal at the start of Mirror Blade cast to give some time to react but then I'd argue that all skills should apply reveal if used in stealth.

Yeah i know him from YT, but that he got one mes in guild... doesnt mean that he met many of these mesm against him .... you dont attack ppl who know you are here... its not duel rules you stand against, wave.. then go stealth and attack :) Its surprise style... target move elsewhere.... waiting on something... try to take camp... or fight with somebody else... against necros it have 100% success, coz they cant do anything against it, doesnt matter how good is he...Im mostly roamer... about 4k+ hours multiclass roaming in wvw... and most of roam pvps are not fair 1v1 on duels... but surprise rapes.

@Loosmaster.8263 said:

Was about a year ago.

They probably like commenting stuff on Reddit because it gives them more nice fluff and happy feedback how great the game is, it's more fun and easier to comment on that kinda stuff instead of real critique you actually have to think more to answer to.

Which sucks since the official forums feels like for second-class citizens but I guess it's kinda understandable they choose to do it like that.

@Dawdler.8521 said:Funny thing, my mirage with 1700 toughness/20k hp got killed by a single reaper spin yesterday.

Nerf nerf nerf nerf nerf nerf!!!!!

Yeah, my power reaper chews through GC players if they get caught in te death helicopter. Fun times. Also my yolosmith usually needs to be focused because if she gets ignored in a fight its all ogre.

@Oozo.7856 said:

@Ubi.4136 said:There are tons of skilled roamers running around, but even the really good mesmers I talk to say they have a macro for that combo. Nothing in game should allow a player to cast that many abilities (up to 6) in the time most classes can cast 1 (maybe 2).

Fully agree with you. That doesn't demonstrate skill when a computer program does something for you. That is considered cheating and should be punishable.

It technically is, it's just difficult to catch and everyone knows it.

A majority of people playing games now probably have a gaming mouse. GW2 needs to enter this thing called reality and start designing their game and abilities to take their usage into account.

Look at the solo roaming videos on youtube. Almost all of them are using a mouse macro to do jump dodges to look cool and impress people that don't know any better. :P

V+Space says hi.

Archived