Soulbeast Specialization Updates for the Path of Fire Launch

Karl McLain.5604

@Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

@Heibi.4251 said:I sense that yet again all the other devs of the other classes looked into making their class OP while the ranger dev looked into balance.

I sense you did not read the other class updates before posting this.

I have read them and know about the other classes already. Ranger is being left behind yet again. Last time ranger was given druid only because they created raids and needed a healer. Instead of enhancing the Guardian, already a healer, they locked -initially- the ranger into a healing role. Soulbeast as a whole will probably be great in the open world pve environment, but will add nothing to wvw or pvp. We're not getting our missing 33% damage output back. We should have gotten the pet's special F2 attack( i.e. reef drake's confusion, the leap attack on some cats, fear abilities) and natural attacks added in - like poisons, extra bleeds, burning, etc. There should have been natural movement speed buffs added in for certain pet combos. All that they did was create a way to stow the pet and give minimal bonuses.Thief - MORE stealth, 1500 range rifle that does massive damage.Warrior - boon strip wonder, and much moreMesmer - more clone cancer and just now, huge damage boost to clone attack(150% damage increase in one case)Elementalist - more nasty attacksRev - no nerfs, just more condi attacks and more rangeOther classes - etc.Ranger - Lost base stability utility skill, except for elite, not to mention other signet nerfs. No damage bonuses. Maul bonus cut in half. No dagger damage increases to speak of. And why a melee weapon? Still no swapping pets in beast mode.

Look, the other devs seem to have damage output in mind in all these elite specializations. I think the dev for ranger did work hard, but seems to have missed the boat on what the others were doing. It's like they sat the ranger dev in isolation so as not to let them know of what they were doing. I'll attempt to play the soulbeast and see if it can live up to the hype. But there was little hype in the promo video compared to other classes. It was basically "You can now combine with your pet. Enjoy." Thief was "Here's what rangers do in the wild - now you can too. Look at all the stealth you will have, and range etc, etc."

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must say I'm very disappointed, especially with the lack of trait changes.

The goals here have been mainly to improve the damage components of the dagger to feel more fluid, while also giving more counter-play to the condition side of the Soulbeast.

You say this but Ranger/Soulbeast still falls behind almost all other condition builds in the game in WvW. We cannot hit moving targets with our main burns (placed at your feet, not throwable). Nerfing the Beastmode Iboga abilities will severely limit the possibility that we'd be able to somewhat keep up with the condi output of other classes.

I'll wait until I try the new dagger before committing to how I feel about it but I'm not convinced the changes will make it useful.

The lack of pet swap within Beastmode is just saddening, it could have made for some really great playstyles. Letting us swap within Beastmode would not have stopped players from utilising their pets, it would have just given us more options.

@Heibi.4251 said:When I read/heard the "Deadeye" description it sounded like what a ranger does in the wild. But no, it was "let's give the thief more and more stealth and the range of a ranger's longbow." Instead we are getting yet another, what feels like, an afterthought. That's just how it feels to me. Don't know if other players who love the ranger feel the same way about this.

This is precisely what I felt when I saw Deadeye. I hoped against hope that rangers would get a "huntsman" type rifle spec, where we'd finally have a ranged power option. I always imagined we'd trade the move-and-shoot mobility of the LB with a harder-hitting but also more rooted rifle weapon. Alas, it seems pretty obvious to me that Deadeye essentially guarantees we'll never get a rifle spec.

I tried soulbeast for all of 10 minutes during the demo, and was thoroughly unimpressed. The changes listed do sound like a promising start, but I'll pass on the spec for now. I'm sure there's a chance I would have come to learn and like it more had I given it the time of day, but between the inefficacy of dagger mainhand and the fart cloud aura, I just couldn't deal with it.

@ Karl McLain.5604
So:1) Tomorrow i will download the expansion2 I will log in with my ranger3) I will go to HoTM4) I will take soulbeast traitline5) I will activate Dolyak Stance6) The skill will not work7) I will take smokescale8) I will try to use Smoke assault to see if it is an evade now9) It will not evade anything10) GGWP on bug fixesIsn't it?

@voltaicbore.8012 said:

@Heibi.4251 said:When I read/heard the "Deadeye" description it sounded like what a ranger does in the wild. But no, it was "let's give the thief more and more stealth and the range of a ranger's longbow." Instead we are getting yet another, what feels like, an afterthought. That's just how it feels to me. Don't know if other players who love the ranger feel the same way about this.

This is precisely what I felt when I saw Deadeye. I hoped against hope that rangers would get a "huntsman" type rifle spec, where we'd finally have a ranged power option. I always imagined we'd trade the move-and-shoot mobility of the LB with a harder-hitting but also more rooted rifle weapon. Alas, it seems pretty obvious to me that Deadeye essentially guarantees we'll never get a rifle spec.

I tried soulbeast for all of 10 minutes during the demo, and was thoroughly unimpressed. The changes listed do sound like a promising start, but I'll pass on the spec for now. I'm sure there's a chance I would have come to learn and like it more had I given it the time of day, but between the inefficacy of dagger mainhand and the fart cloud aura, I just couldn't deal with it.

I hope rangers will Never get a rifle, it is very un-ranger like. Rifle fits thieves best honestly, them already having pistols, Rifle made sense. Also the sniping playstyle makes sense since they are the stealth class basically.

Soulbeast and the weapon we got make sense as well, sorry that you felt unimpressed it might not be for everyone. I can feel the disappointment if all you picked hunter for was to play some kind of Ranged High DPS class with pets, that's just not what a ranger stands for I'm afraid.Perhaps next xpac we will get something that promotes a ranged playstyle, but as is, PoF is just Melee based for rangers.

Also to those complaining about the nerf to Maul, that nerf is simply there for PvP and makes sense if they don't touch Sic'Em. If you were hoping to use GS in a PvE power build, you still can, but GS will never be a competitive option as sword/axe will remain the superior choice there.Of course all the above is based on what we know right now, things might change if the general class changes are released.

Petty buffs to dagger and a 50% nerf to the maul buff?

Scourge and spellbreaker can strip an entire zerg of it's boons and we can't even deal decent aoe damage?

Beginning to be really happy I didn't preorder this time...

@Skuzz.6580 said:Soulbeast and the weapon we got make sense as well, sorry that you felt unimpressed it might not be for everyone. I can feel the disappointment if all you picked hunter for was to play some kind of Ranged High DPS class with pets, that's just not what a ranger stands for I'm afraid.

But thief with it's massive melee damage is a natural ranged dps class?

Preciously what is ranger supposed to stand for then? Is every single spec supposed to be just more of the same old "evade sustain with crap damage"?Why is the ranger the only class that isn't allowed to play differently with it's specs?

It happened. Worst case scenario. They nerfed pet abilities, they tweaked some numbers to buff dagger in ways no one will even notice and then no one will touch the elite for another 4 months+

No changes to traitsNo changes to beastmodeNo changes to petswappingNo changes to pet AINo changes on getting kicked out of BM while riding a mountNo substantial changes to dagger MH (And I guarantee you they didn't touch dagger OH either.)No changes to the lame stancesNo changes to visuals (green aura)

Do you want to tell us that this is all we get? Animation tweaked, pet skills nerfed and 3 numbers on dagger slightly increased? You must be pretty satisfied with the state of Soulbeast right now if that's all you think was needed. Oh boy!

Terribly disappointed. Don't know what's worse, the soulbeast spec or this "update" to it.

I have to say, this completely disappointing. We are getting left more and more behind with patch that comes out, and this one i think is the icing on the cake. Only thing people are going to want ranger for anymore is druid. I guess im glad i decided to kit out a guardian, congratulations...

Firebrand got so many hot-fix to save the class and improve the overall performance.https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/2698/firebrand-specialization-updates-for-the-path-of-fire-launch/p1

Ranger got a minor buff in dagger which were absolutely terrible beforehand and TWO NERFS already while no mention of bug fix, trait change, utility change and beastmode f1~f2 buff or pet swap issue in beastmode.

Just great.

I'd still play PoF as ranger though but mainly for new pets and mounts and that's about it.

@Substance E.4852 said:lol just noticed druid changes are also inbound.

InB4 Druid gets hit with hard nerfs to make the nothingburger that is Soulbeast look more appetizing.

In all seriousness though, Druid is in a perfectly comfy spot right now. Any changes to it are almost certainly going to be some kind of nerf.

My hope is this.. elite specs are designed to fill specific roles for the classes. So druid, being a healing /buffing class, shouldn't see nerfs to make soulbeast look better because that's not the role soulbeast is trying to fill.

Nerfing the support elite spec doesn't effect the dps(lul) elite spec

A possibility though is nerfing core ranger since it's what would compete with soulbeast

Meanwhile... "For the most part, it's just bug fixes."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3XW8yk7jBA

...Go play something else peeps. It appears we are all victim to RP designs first... There are zero areas were Ranger, Druid or Soulbeast will really shine. And no, please don't tell me about raids, I could care less. I care about wvw stuff, and this "deadly" Soulbeast spec just reinforces my feelings with moving to something more enjoyable, more competitive and less of a time waster.

And no, I DON'T think the devs are lazy or incapable, it's just that the top will never put priority to the most important aspects of the game... and those happen to be class and combat designs. Classes are what the game world revolves around, combat is how we move through the game world, but that's obviously not the thought process and philosophy here. Classes and combat designs are stamped as "good enough" then shipped, and it appears that the class and combat design teams are not properly supported because of that practice.

@zealex.9410 said:

@StickerHappy.8052 said:WHY DO WE ONLY HAVE 5 CHANGES?

CHECK OUT THE MIRAGE ONES. THEY TOUCHED WEAPONS, TRAITS, AMBUSH, ETC

Mirage needed more.

@zealex.9410 said:

Mirage needed more.

We needed bug fixes. And QoL. Other elites got reworks to fix how clunky they felt. Mirage. Firebrand... We got nothing to address the clunky feeling of beast mode and we got nothing to address our bugs. You know. Like.. not getting your own buff's when using your own skills...

This is assuming that if they were included fixes they would have been addressed in this post, which I'm sure they would have.

We did get a maul nerf though

@meeflak.9714 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

Mirage needed more.

@zealex.9410 said:

Mirage needed more.

We needed bug fixes. And QoL. Other elites got reworks to fix how clunky they felt. Mirage. Firebrand... We got nothing to address the clunky feeling of beast mode and we got nothing to address our bugs. You know. Like.. not getting your own buff's when using your own skills...

This is assuming that if they were included fixes they would have been addressed in this post, which I'm sure they would have.

We did get a maul nerf though

We got a quick nerf on one of the lowest damage weapons (Ranger's GS) in the game.This is their priority I guess.

Seriously can we get some compensation back by buffing the AA damage by 50% ?

Archived