Are you going to purchase the 3rd expansion?

Alga.6498

I voted no, but it really depends if Anet can restore faith until it launches. At the moment I am very sceptical of their ability to release a good amount of content that is not of throw away nature.

@ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

@"Alga.6498" said:

Agreed. WvW is not at all what it used to be a few years ago, I keep wondering if WvW's fate will be better in time or not. I felt this too regards HoT vs PoF. There was alot more players who did indeed purchase HoT as it was the 1st expansion. I remember the price fiasco too. Maybe I am wrong but is the game dying after all? Only time will tell... I guess.

GW2 is
very
immune to process of natural death. It has a lot of great design choices that kept it strong even in face of crisis that would severely damage other MMORPG (like pre and post HoT content draughts).

Only way for GW2 to "die" is to be killed by superior offering and atm there is no real threat in that realm.What is possible is many ppl jumping ship temporarly only to return again, since GW2 is also designed to be good as "alt MMO" with majority of end game jazz being cosmetics and safe for longer breaks (your lvl 80 exotic/ascended gear won't be junk in 6 moths).Oh really? Nothing is immune to natural death, even the whole universe (albeit very slowly) is dieing as we speak

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@gateless gate.8406 said:After that Twitter disaster... No. I will wait a year or more and get it on sale. Love the game and want more content, but I will attempt to give Anet the least amount of money necessary at this point.

I would wait and see how Anet reacts to it. If they ignore it, then yea... I wouldn't really want to support that sort of company culture either. But there's a very good chance they will put out an apology and take some form of action. If they do, I can't imagine holding the toxic actions of a couple of their employees towards their userbase against the entire company if the company is trying to make it right.

@Tolmos.8395 said:

@gateless gate.8406 said:After that
Twitter disaster
... No. I will wait a year or more and get it on sale. Love the game and want more content, but I will attempt to give Anet the least amount of money necessary at this point.

I would wait and see how Anet reacts to it. If they ignore it, then yea... I wouldn't really want to support that sort of company culture either. But there's a very good chance they will put out an apology and take some form of action. If they do, I can't imagine holding the toxic actions of a couple of their employees towards their userbase against the entire company if the company is trying to make it right.

Of course. If swift action is taken, I will actually purchase the expansion on day 1 to show my support of rational, professional behavior.

@"gateless gate.8406" said:After that Twitter disaster... No. I will wait a year or more and get it on sale. Love the game and want more content, but I will attempt to give Anet the least amount of money necessary at this point.

Understandable to stick to your morals. I fully encourage folks to vote with their wallet on this one.

Personally, while I find her quoted remarks and subsequent defense of them to be ill-conceived and distasteful, I don't know if it will stop me from paying to support the bits I like about the game. Though maybe that's just Sunk Cost Fallacy talking. Shaky, frustrating content releases are much more likely to turn me off from an expansion. Class/Elite reworks that kill gameplay (...Deadeye...) are more likely to keep me from an expansion. The continued mishandling of material markets and grind are more likely to keep me from investing further.

Call me cynical, but the Twitter mini-scandal doesn't even surprise me. I already got the feeling that many of the devs are wrapped up in the "I'm so clever" part of the job, instead of the "make game fun" part, as evidenced by CC/permablind-spam, AoE vomit fields, and composition of some of the achievements. So the drama behind one or two folks with poor self-censorship is hardly the greatest of my worries.

Excelsior.

I work in retail and I am the head of the fresh produce department. When ONE piece of the chain (e.g. grower > weather > harvester > Truck and traffic > wholesale > forwarding company > truck and its driver > traffic > our branch > me [as employee] is failing, people call trash about us all, the store, us personally, and make a fuss about it like crazy. For something that is so incredibly minor and nobody thinks about it a week later. This makes me, a 27-year old guy, thinking what's wrong with the world and their shitstorm attitude really.

While this Twitter stuff is a bad thing, you should stop acting as the whole company is like that. That's stupid. Imagine someone in your workplace from a different department does one stupid thing and people call you filthy for working at that company just because of that. It's ridiculous.

@Zedek.8932 said:Excelsior.

I work in retail and I am the head of the fresh produce department. When ONE piece of the chain (e.g. grower > weather > harvester > Truck and traffic > wholesale > forwarding company > truck and its driver > traffic > our branch > me [as employee] is failing, people call trash about us all, the store, us personally, and make a fuss about it like crazy. For something that is so incredibly minor and nobody thinks about it a week later. This makes me, a 27-year old guy, thinking what's wrong with the world and their kitten attitude really.

While this Twitter stuff is a bad thing, you should stop acting as the whole company is like that. That's stupid. Imagine someone in your workplace from a different department does one stupid thing and people call you filthy for working at that company just because of that. It's ridiculous.

But do you come to the defense of the screw up saying they were right to screw up? If one employee screws up and a coworker comes to their defense saying they were right to screw up what does that tell you? Good team spirit, horrible team.

@Dreadshow.9320 said:

@Zedek.8932 said:Excelsior.

I work in retail and I am the head of the fresh produce department. When
ONE
piece of the chain (e.g. grower > weather > harvester > Truck and traffic > wholesale > forwarding company > truck and its driver > traffic > our branch > me [as employee] is failing, people call trash about us all, the store, us personally, and make a fuss about it like crazy. For something that is so incredibly minor and nobody thinks about it a week later. This makes me, a 27-year old guy, thinking what's wrong with the world and their kitten attitude really.

But do you come to the defense of the screw up saying they were right to screw up? If one employee screws up and a coworker comes to their defense saying they were right to screw up what does that tell you? Good team spirit, horrible team.

It tells me that one other individual, a coworker and perhaps personal friend, can be guided by emotion in some situations...

Not much of a commentary on 350 individuals.

I don't like the idea of buying an expansion made by one (or possible more) devs who don't seem to like the community they're creating a product for.

That reeks of someone who just "does it for the money".

What happened to this company? At times like this I kind of wish Colin was still around.

I probably will not buy it, not just because of the twitter thing [although i know that will be a factor for many], but because i truly dislike the path this game is taking.

The writing has declined [and taking into account who one of the writers is, we can assume why], the game's balancing is all over the place, the bug fixes that we've asked for years have been ignored, the fact that the twitter thing confirmed that there's developers that don't give a single 6th letter in the alphabet about the feedback that they desperately need, the fact that many great things from GW1 have been bastardized and destroyed just to get a quick nostalgia pop, still no spears, no new race, every kitten thing is added to the gem store or the lion claim rather than allow us to earn them and many other things.

Totally agree, not gonna buy because 3 reasons:-Living Story quality is declining.-They don't care about feedbacks: maps rendering issues, armors issues, episode feedback... just ignoring.-The twitter drama, global relation dev-player even if AFC, ton of players have great questions and ZERO answers.

If Im still enjoying the game, then yes. The only issues I have are.. I pre-ordered gw2 which was around $60. Later they made gw2 free, then added expansions. So when I came back I had to pay again $60. Not only that, but have to purchase any content I wasnt logged in for. I feel that for anyone who purchased the game initially content like that should be free, but for free accounts I could understand the content block. Anyways, that was another $30 I had to pay for past content. I dont like Anet as a company because of that, but entertainment is still worth the value right now.

Honestly, I don't know.My primary playmode is WvW, which is been the completely ignored stepchild of the game for quite some time now. Things aren't even just stagnant - they are getting worse. Since they have made some changes I have found it to be literally unplayable (all meme jokes aside). -I am authentically unable to play the game with my friends due to various bugs and inability to queue into the game - and no, I don't consider waiting by my computer for two hours unable to walk away for 15 seconds lest I lose my chance to play to be reasonable.

If they continue to show that the game really only exists for a PVE existence, and that they will neglect WvW, I'll continue on in WvW as it is, plugging away at it. But I won't contribute more money, regardless of how negligible the price of an expansion is for a game that has no monthly fee. There just won't be anything worth even $30 in it for me, and I want them to understand that they can't just ignore two entire player bases.

@"Zedek.8932" said:Excelsior.

I work in retail and I am the head of the fresh produce department. When ONE piece of the chain (e.g. grower > weather > harvester > Truck and traffic > wholesale > forwarding company > truck and its driver > traffic > our branch > me [as employee] is failing, people call trash about us all, the store, us personally, and make a fuss about it like crazy. For something that is so incredibly minor and nobody thinks about it a week later. This makes me, a 27-year old guy, thinking what's wrong with the world and their kitten attitude really.

1. "You should stop acting as the whole company is like that" -- Many people are concerned that socjus and anti-merit culture is infiltrating games development, resulting in worse products. This just fans those flames higher, and indeed stokes concerns about whether this individual may be having a negative effect on the people she interacts with in the workplace. Additionally, there were TWO Anet employees taking part in the recent Twitter "exchanges," so it seems you're misinformed.
  2. Your analogy doesn't work IMO. Those stops in the production chain you mentioned are disparate things that aren't even owned by the same company, let alone being things/people that share office space and hence influence a company-wide culture. The equivalent to your analogy would be if a Gamestop employee trash-talked GW2 players or something.

• 3 weeks later...

As the game is right now, no, I won't.The story development at the moment is disappointing at best, the general state of the game is diminishing with bugs staying for increasingly long durations, events (like the Festival of the Four Winds right now) feel less and less rewarding while they don't even offer anything entertaining anymore, Queens Gauntlet and Boss Blitz where just copy & paste, old achievements have been reset instead of adding new ones (I now have a second Liadri Mini, wtf do I do with that?!) The new bosses are bland and don't even have achievements or anything attached to them, Turai Ossa is just boring. The Bazaar lost all it's flavour since you can just glide / griffon to all the sky christals and whatever location you want to get to, the aspects have lost all meaning. Basically all incentives to go out and explore have been removed. Mounts and Gliding should've been disabled on that map.

The next Part contains spoilers towards the living world episode 3!

! The current living world is just annoying, braham is back punching illusions and whatever, taimi, whom I usually enjoy, is starting to become hysteric. Everyone currently seems to know me (the player character) and is willing to sacrifice his/her life for my cause after exchanging a few words with me and all of a sudden I (the player character) have an army of ghosts and olmakhan while all the other races affected by the problem don't seem to care. Why did you (anet) bother with the jokos invasion portal event things on all starter maps if it doesn't affect the races of central tyria? No one cares about joko except some ghosts, our trusted friends (+faren) and the olmakhan? Anyway, apparently now I have an army. Good enough and what happens next will (not) surprise you! We end up facing joko alone (+ braham) Joko decides to only trap me just so that braham get's his moment to heroically sacrifice himself for me even though Joko evidently could've just trapped us both then and there as he did later on. Fast forward through an incredibly dull and repetitive fight: We've seemingly defeated Joko BUT THEN we get to witness something that could've been the intro to THE most charismatic and interesting antagonist since Scarlet Briar. The entire cinematic with Joko getting back up, holding his speech and all was incredibly epic and well done and ruined by something that I'd only expect to see in some outtakes or in a slapstick comedy. Trahearne 2.0 swoops in and ends the epic moment and turns it into a facepalm of utter disbelieve paired with disappointment. Seriously THAT was the best solution to getting rid of Joko that you could've come up with?! What's gonna happen next? Aurene puts all Elder Dragons to eternal sleep and since we that have a serious lack of villains Aurene turns rogue because of some magic of all those villains that she has absorbed and then we fight Aurene or what is the Plan from here?! We could've had something awesome with Joko actually doing something, you had an amazing opportunity to make some changes all over tyria and turn the game into something that is alive again. I still don't understand how you can sell the current stuff as "living" world. Nothing about the living world chapters feels alive, it's just one meaningless map after another and none of the events interact with the world outside of the "living" world content. This is not the Guild Wars 2 that has been advertised when I bought it. The one edge GW2 had above all/most other mmorpg's was that it actually had a world that felt alive, core tyria + LW 1 + 2 felt amazing, everything that happened felt like it meant something, things were connected back then, now we have a world with time locked maps that never interact with each other and nothing ever changes anything or means anything. And even some character like Joko doesn't seem to be enough to create something epic. When Scarlet died there was an aftermath, we had several flashbacks pointing back to Scarlet and she'll forever have a meaning in the history of GW2.

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading and sorry about my ranting. You might have missed it in my text but I also have fond memories of GW2, pretty much everything pre HoT.

No, because anet has favorites in classes that it will always nerf and never give anything good to. Like Elementalist for example. Their elites are a joke. Great, it gave us a sword but you can barely use it in PvE bc either you went more tanky & now have 0 damage or you went more glass and you die in 1 hit because you already used your evades. In PvP ele in high tier is almost non -existant unless it had babysitters which can give better boons/ more sustain/ better healing than the ele can. In WvW it's an elementalist ghost town and noone actually wants it since the only thing it really offered was amazing spike damage but offers nothing to little else in organized fights.

@"TwilightSoul.9048" said:As the game is right now, no, I won't.The story development at the moment is disappointing at best, the general state of the game is diminishing with bugs staying for increasingly long durations, events (like the Festival of the Four Winds right now) feel less and less rewarding while they don't even offer anything entertaining anymore, Queens Gauntlet and Boss Blitz where just copy & paste, old achievements have been reset instead of adding new ones (I now have a second Liadri Mini, kitten do I do with that?!) The new bosses are bland and don't even have achievements or anything attached to them, Turai Ossa is just boring. The Bazaar lost all it's flavour since you can just glide / griffon to all the sky christals and whatever location you want to get to, the aspects have lost all meaning. Basically all incentives to go out and explore have been removed. Mounts and Gliding should've been disabled on that map.

The next Part contains spoilers towards the living world episode 3!

! The current living world is just annoying, braham is back punching illusions and whatever, taimi, whom I usually enjoy, is starting to become hysteric. Everyone currently seems to know me (the player character) and is willing to sacrifice his/her life for my cause after exchanging a few words with me and all of a sudden I (the player character) have an army of ghosts and olmakhan while all the other races affected by the problem don't seem to care. Why did you (anet) bother with the jokos invasion portal event things on all starter maps if it doesn't affect the races of central tyria? No one cares about joko except some ghosts, our trusted friends (+faren) and the olmakhan? Anyway, apparently now I have an army. Good enough and what happens next will (not) surprise you! We end up facing joko alone (+ braham) Joko decides to only trap me just so that braham get's his moment to heroically sacrifice himself for me even though Joko evidently could've just trapped us both then and there as he did later on. Fast forward through an incredibly dull and repetitive fight: We've seemingly defeated Joko BUT THEN we get to witness something that could've been the intro to THE most charismatic and interesting antagonist since Scarlet Briar. The entire cinematic with Joko getting back up, holding his speech and all was incredibly epic and well done and ruined by something that I'd only expect to see in some outtakes or in a slapstick comedy. Trahearne 2.0 swoops in and ends the epic moment and turns it into a facepalm of utter disbelieve paired with disappointment. Seriously THAT was the best solution to getting rid of Joko that you could've come up with?! What's gonna happen next? Aurene puts all Elder Dragons to eternal sleep and since we that have a serious lack of villains Aurene turns rogue because of some magic of all those villains that she has absorbed and then we fight Aurene or what is the Plan from here?! We could've had something awesome with Joko actually doing something, you had an amazing opportunity to make some changes all over tyria and turn the game into something that is alive again. I still don't understand how you can sell the current stuff as "living" world. Nothing about the living world chapters feels alive, it's just one meaningless map after another and none of the events interact with the world outside of the "living" world content. This is not the Guild Wars 2 that has been advertised when I bought it. The one edge GW2 had above all/most other mmorpg's was that it actually had a world that felt alive, core tyria + LW 1 + 2 felt amazing, everything that happened felt like it meant something, things were connected back then, now we have a world with time locked maps that never interact with each other and nothing ever changes anything or means anything. And even some character like Joko doesn't seem to be enough to create something epic. When Scarlet died there was an aftermath, we had several flashbacks pointing back to Scarlet and she'll forever have a meaning in the history of GW2.

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading and sorry about my ranting. You might have missed it in my text but I also have fond memories of GW2, pretty much everything pre HoT.

It's a bit obvious their views on the game have changed and not for the better. Remember when we spent half of the Personal Story finding ways to even begin to go into Orr? This was before we even knew we could hurt Zhaitan by stopping the Eyes and Mouth [a concept no other Dragon has had so far]. Remember how we also had the storyline with Trehearne cleansing Orr? Remember how we had to convince these 3 powerful Orders to work together so we can fight Zhaitan?

All of that just vanished in HoT and beyond. HoT had us, with the REMAINS of the Pact, just happily charge through Maguuma and face Mordremoth, WHO IS STRONGER THAN ZHAITAN AND HAS HIS DEATH MAGIC, and kill him, no weakening, no finding ways to subdue his powers before facing him, nothing. Just charging in there with the remnants of the Pact and lolwin.

Then PoF came around. A GOD was the enemy, a God empowered by the magic of two Elder Dragons......and again, we don't find weaknesses, we don't try to find ways of stopping his magic before we face him [and may i add, he easily kills us, the only enemy so far that managed to kill us and did it like we were nothing], we just jump in there with an Awakened army [cause....yeah, an Awakened army somehow is a match for the Forged MADE BY THE GOD OF WAR] and we fight the guy....and win. Same dude that killed us like we were cockroaches, we beat him cause we had Aurene and Sohothin.

Who wants to bet some random and contrived event will happen that will allow us to beat Kralkatorrik with no issues [same Dragon that currently has magic from Zhaitan, Mordremoth, Primordus, Jormag and Balthazar btw]?

i could careless about story.

• 1 MAPS! EXPLORATION! ACHIEVEMENTS! CRAFTING!
  • 2 Combat! Events! Dungeons/Fractals! WVW! PvE!
  • 3 The Art of the game! The beautiful scenery!
  • 4 Guildhall(or personal housing wink wink) Decorations! Treasure hunts!(i wouldn't mind to see quests added to the game but in a new kind of way. Think solo story content in open world meets lore based legendary scavenger hunts. (kinda like archeology in WoW/Tomb Raider) so many coastlines, so many places to add hidden sea caves and not tell anyone :D I always learned alot about lore through questing in WoW but here in GW2 i just want to FFWD thru story content and get to the COMBAT! at least put a skip button in.) =D
  • 5 meh... maybe i'll get around to doing story... or some pvp

At least in new maps maybe new expansion if it deals with water --add hidden sea caves or hard to get to with springer caves up in mountains. I can see a fun exploration lore based quests added to the game. Kinda like side quests but also sort of like the precursor journeys. Except you aren't crafting anything you are finding things and learning about the lore of the game as you go. (or just finding things :D ) I wish i was a dev. :D

Archived