Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Running 2 different gw2 accounts on the same pc


Recommended Posts

Long version, GW2 uses a mutex (AN-Mutex-Window-Guild Wars 2) to ensure that only a single instance can be opened. You need a utility capable of killing this mutex, such as Process Explorer. When running GW2, you use the -sharearchive option, which essentially puts GW2 in read-only mode, allowing multiple processes to read Gw2.dat. All of this can be done using a power shell script, without the need of other software.

Short version, Gw2Launcher, which unlike LB, was built for this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@"mtpelion.4562" said:Please note that if your keyboard/mouse are able to control both copies at the same time, you will get permanently banned from the game. To protect yourself, please ensure that you are not able to control both instances simultaneously.

While the first sentence is factual true, your second sentence makes it sound as if this could happen "by accident" so that people would need to pay attention for it not to happen. As far as I know, this will never happen on a normal Windows machine, as your mouse/keyboard always goes to the active window/application, no matter how many instances of it you have managed to start.

If it goes to more than one window/application at once, this would have to be explicitly enforced by some software that I don't know (if such software even exists).So in short, no user should need to "protect himself" from it, because those with machines where this can happen probably have put a ton of effort into making sure that it can happen, know well what they are doing, and that they shouldn't.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Shikigami.4013 said:

@"mtpelion.4562" said:Please note that if your keyboard/mouse are able to control both copies at the same time, you will get permanently banned from the game. To protect yourself, please ensure that you are not able to control both instances simultaneously.

While the first sentence is factual true, your second sentence makes it sound as if this could happen "by accident" so that people would need to pay attention for it not to happen. As far as I know, this will never happen on a normal Windows machine, as your mouse/keyboard always goes to the active window/application, no matter how many instances of it you have managed to start.

If it goes to more than one window/application at once, this would have to be explicitly enforced by some software that I don't know (if such software even exists).So in short, no user should need to "protect himself" from it, because those with machines where this can happen probably have put a ton of effort into making sure that it can happen, know well what they are doing, and that they shouldn't.

I was approaching it from the perspective of "if you are using third party software to get multiboxing up and running, make sure it doesn't allow simultaneous control".

I'm not a multiboxer, so I'm not sure what the capabilities are, just what the official position on it is.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@"Healix.5819" said:Long version, GW2 uses a mutex (AN-Mutex-Window-Guild Wars 2) to ensure that only a single instance can be opened. You need a utility capable of killing this mutex, such as Process Explorer. When running GW2, you use the -sharearchive option, which essentially puts GW2 in read-only mode, allowing multiple processes to read Gw2.dat. All of this can be done using a power shell script, without the need of other software.

Short version, Gw2Launcher, which unlike LB, was built for this.

This gets my vote for best solution. it may seem cumbersome and "geeky" at first but it's actually very simple and the safest method of all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I run 4 accounts on my machine using the -SharedArchive parameter. No extra software is necessary except a text editor for manually editing each copy of the .exe file for each account. I use a simple batch file to update the accounts whenever there is a build update.

Works like a charm!! I am able to take all 4 accounts into my main accounts home instance to farm the nodes by moving my mouse to each window one by one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Can you elaborate? I thought LaunchBuddy did exactly this, plus offer ways to save different configuration options and control the launch of various AddOns.

LaunchBuddy started out as a command line assistant, then later added basic support for launching multiple accounts. I've never used it, so I only know what it can do from the reddit posts, plus the complaints about it sometimes not working and problems with patching / having to manually update. I thought they added this feature, but I didn't see it listed, so fun fact, for every launch, GW2 will create a new %temp%/gw2cache folder, which can quickly add up.

Gw2Launcher is my personal launcher I made back when they did the $10 accounts, which is specifically for running multiple accounts. As such, I have features built around that, such as pre-configuring window sizes and positions, individual volume control (because the in-game master volume is bugged and applied twice to videos), the ability to cache patches (because each Local.dat file needs to be patched for ~30 MB) and download them while you're still playing. I just don't advertise.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Healix.5819 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Can you elaborate? I thought LaunchBuddy did exactly this, plus offer ways to save different configuration options and control the launch of various AddOns.

LaunchBuddy started out as a command line assistant, then later added basic support for launching multiple accounts. I've never used it, so I only know what it can do from the reddit posts, plus the complaints about it sometimes not working and problems with patching / having to manually update. I thought they added this feature, but I didn't see it listed, so fun fact, for every launch, GW2 will create a new %temp%/gw2cache folder, which can quickly add up.

Gw2Launcher is my personal launcher I made back when they did the $10 accounts, which is specifically for running multiple accounts. As such, I have features built around that, such as pre-configuring window sizes and positions, individual volume control (because the in-game master volume is bugged and applied twice to videos), the ability to cache patches (because each Local.dat file needs to be patched for ~30 MB) and download them while you're still playing. I just don't advertise.

Tried it out. Really awesome exe.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Healix.5819 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Can you elaborate? I thought LaunchBuddy did exactly this, plus offer ways to save different configuration options and control the launch of various AddOns.

LaunchBuddy started out as a command line assistant, then later added basic support for launching multiple accounts. I've never used it, so I only know what it can do from the reddit posts, plus the complaints about it sometimes not working and problems with patching / having to manually update. I thought they added this feature, but I didn't see it listed, so fun fact, for every launch, GW2 will create a new %temp%/gw2cache folder, which can quickly add up.

Gw2Launcher is my personal launcher I made back when they did the $10 accounts, which is specifically for running multiple accounts. As such, I have features built around that, such as pre-configuring window sizes and positions, individual volume control (because the in-game master volume is bugged and applied twice to videos), the ability to cache patches (because each Local.dat file needs to be patched for ~30 MB) and download them while you're still playing. I just don't advertise.

Thanks for the info. I've heard good things about GW2/L, but (as you might guess) I see more people running GW2/LB.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@mtpelion.4562 said:Please note that if your keyboard/mouse are able to control both copies at the same time, you will get permanently banned from the game. To protect yourself, please ensure that you are not able to control both instances simultaneously.

Im not sure this is accurate.. don't its safe unless u research this better, but I would think u could use the same keyboard if the accounts all had different button assignments so that you are controlling both accounts at the same time, but independent of each other. Im pretty sure if its like using two computers at the same time (requiring more coordination) then it should be ok as long as its one action per click. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Shikigami.4013 said:

@"mtpelion.4562" said:Please note that if your keyboard/mouse are able to control both copies at the same time, you will get permanently banned from the game. To protect yourself, please ensure that you are not able to control both instances simultaneously.

While the first sentence is factual true, your second sentence makes it sound as if this could happen "by accident" so that people would need to pay attention for it not to happen. As far as I know, this will never happen on a normal Windows machine, as your mouse/keyboard always goes to the active window/application, no matter how many instances of it you have managed to start.

I'm not trying to spook the OP, but there are some (admittedly rare) cases where this happens. Never heard it about GW2 (or experienced it, but I never play my accounts at the same time), but I do know that Stardew Valley does this - if you tab out of the game and into a browser, the game still reacts to whatever you do in your browser. Doesn't happen when the browser is open on a second monitor. I have no idea what causes this, I just know that it has caused me to start the day over more times than I care to admit.

So, just double check to be sure, I guess is what I'm saying. No-one wants you to get a banhammer to the face because computers are weird.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to do this in GW1 with a total of 10 accounts, yeah I know right :lol:I mainly only used multiple accounts whenever I was doing missions / getting to a new Place with an account or buying armor.I used them also to sync dance in famous places, man it was so fun. :blush:

Each account had atleast 1 Vabbian armor and 1 Obby armor, the most expensive armors in the game, dancing with them in famous places drawed alot of attention, :joy:I tried to play with 4 accounts during battles, it worked OK but it was quite hard to control 4 accounts during battles and moving them but it worked! :)But I guess the only thing GW2 players who has more than 1 account are farming daily, pvp farm, and other farms. I doubt you can play 2 accounts at once in GW2 during combat since it's way different than GW1.

Back to the main point :lol: , you're able to use X accounts at the same time on your computer but you have to move them quite often, atleast that's what I heard. I Think there is an official ANet answer to this question, I'll see if I can find it and quote it for you, :tongue:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, this is allowed. You can even multi-box in Guild Wars 2 if you have the money and ability.

Dornsinger said, "Which means the TL;DR here is: You can multi-box, if it means you yourself control ALL actions on ALL accounts. That is what it means to be actively playing."

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/7i8byl/multiboxing_no_longer_allowed_beware/

Hope this helped.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Shikigami.4013 said:

@"mtpelion.4562" said:If it goes to more than one window/application at once, this would have to be explicitly enforced by some software that I don't know (if such software even exists).So in short, no user should need to "protect himself" from it, because those with machines where this can happen probably have put a ton of effort into making sure that it can happen, know well what they are doing, and that they shouldn't.

Such software does exist and in some cases it could happen as a bug in other software also. Though you are also right, shouldn't be done! I farm my 68 altachars every day M-F from about 7am-12pm and I see way too may bots (yes each is reported) they have enough problems as is providing us a great game experience getting rid of botters they don't need the added issues of multiple accounts per PC. Sifting through that data to find botters and the like is just adding more work to that departments team.

Just Multi-box ( <3 <3 <3 ) is easier for both sides! And lagit, as long as you are actively using each without third party software to control the other boxes. I find Bluetooth Mice and keyboards work well for the ;) PC's out of reach

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...