World Restructuring

Gaile Gray.6029

With the release of DBL, Waypoints were removed from upgrade trees and instead enabled immediately upon capture of an objective--but only for the team that spawned nearest it.  Waypoints were moved from the side keeps to the southern towers both to cement the home team advantage and to shorten the time it took for players to get back into the fight.  The devs also mentioned wanting to cut down on the ability of one team to control the whole map by getting Waypoints in distant keeps.

The change was met with significant backlash--almost entirely because players felt that Waypoints were a thing they worked for and upgrades felt lackluster now that they came free.  So the Waypoint change was reverted and, immediately, players began to complain that it took too long to get back into fights.

Personally, I think Anet over-reacted to the criticism.  Of course, it's easy for me to say this as I wasn't the one under pressure at the time...But a better idea may have been to keep the instant Waypoints in the southern towers and middle keep (or push them to T1), while adding the T3 Waypoints back to the side keeps but only for the keep you spawn closest too.  This would both allow players to get back in the fight more quickly and give them something to earn at T3 without running into the dominant team problem where they can teleport all over the map.

They could also create a mid-sized, non-walled objective outside of keeps/towers that could temporarily disable the Waypoint inside.  It wouldn't matter much in a siege since that already contests the waypoint, but it would reduce enemy mobility for a time.

• ArenaNet Staff
15 hours ago, Pulsefire Jayce.4753 said:

My guess is that "well in advance" is going to be one week beforehand, if not shorter than that.

Prove me wrong Anet.

We're aiming to have the post out on Friday. A little bit of a weird work week for us with the long Labor Day holiday weekend.

I'll keep you folks updated if anything changes!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Josh Davis.7865 said:

We're aiming to have the post out on Friday. A little bit of a weird work week for us with the long Labor Day holiday weekend.

Looking forward to updating the Guild Wars 2 Forum: The Library - WvW  with the posted link when it comes out.

Yours truly,
Diku

Credibility requires critical insight & time.

• Thanks 1

My apology if this has been answered already, but I can't possibly go through 127 pages of posts. 😉

1. When the Alliance System goes live, will it matter which server you are on?
  2. If not and you are in two Guilds and they are both on different servers, will you be able to play in two different Alliances depending on which Guild you currently represent?

14 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

My apology if this has been answered already, but I can't possibly go through 127 pages of posts. 😉

1. When the Alliance System goes live, will it matter which server you are on?
  2. If not and you are in two Guilds and they are both on different servers, will you be able to play in two different Alliances depending on which Guild you currently represent?

1.  No.  Servers as they currently exist will go away, so the server you are on now won’t matter.

2.  Being in a guild by itself does not matter.  There will be some mechanism that allows you to designate one guild as a ‘WvW’ guild.  That will be the guild that matters for placement.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

1.  No.  Servers as they currently exist will go away, so the server you are on now won’t matter.

2.  Being in a guild by itself does not matter.  There will be some mechanism that allows you to designate one guild as a ‘WvW’ guild.  That will be the guild that matters for placement.

Thank you so much for the fast response! 🙂

So there is no real point in transferring to another server at this point. I can simply talk to the guilds there and ask to join the one I desire.

(PS: I wonder what will be shown in the character selection screen then instead of the home server.)

Edited by Ashantara.8731

4 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Thank you so much for the fast response! 🙂

So there is no real point in transferring to another server at this point. I can simply talk to the guilds there are ask to join the one I desire. (PS: I wonder what will be shown in the character selection screen then instead of the home server.)

No problem at all.  🙂

If you WERE to look back at the first 4 pages you would see I started out against this.  It took me some time to look at it and come to the conclusion that I believe it will be a positive change.  I DONT know if it will be a wonderful system lol, but I believe it will be better than what we have now,

I am still not sure this is going to go live soon, so if you wanted to be with a certain guild to play now, then transferring might be good.  

Otherwise, yeah, it doesn’t make sense to me either.

edit:  as far as the character selection screen, I wonder myself if they will title the  ‘worlds’ they create each time.  If they do, I think you would see that name.

Also, effectively servers are worlds now.  The new system hopefully will allow for better overall pairing for matchups.  

Edited by Strider Pj.2193
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

edit:  as far as the character selection screen, I wonder myself if they will title the  ‘worlds’ they create each time.  If they do, I think you would see that name.

Most likely, it'll look exactly like now with the same amount of worlds and same names. There would no technical reason to change that until its further into its life so one can remove a tier (or add).

14 hours ago, Josh Davis.7865 said:

Thanks for this! 😄

Sweet! Only 2 more weeks! Looks like concise/constructive feedbacks during the beta test will be vital for the future of WvW...until then, top-up yer coffee, sharpen them fingernails, stretch yer toes, tape yeh eyelids, faith & patience lads!

Turtle on a boat? Both can float? Oh...how fun it'd be with a turtle & a boat! 🐢🚢

Edited by Woop S.7851

1 hour ago, azizul.8469 said:

may I suggest for Anet not to publish war score in any match. any published result in war score will only result in people flocking to the winning alliance. let players guess to their death who is winning....

It won't be possible for players to stack alliances like they do servers.  Even if they swap to one of the guilds in that alliance, they won't be moved until the end of the match-up and alliances are re-made.  That means if they try to stack one by swapping guilds, it gets re-balanced before the swap goes into effect.

55 minutes ago, Sviel.7493 said:

It won't be possible for players to stack alliances like they do servers.  Even if they swap to one of the guilds in that alliance, they won't be moved until the end of the match-up and alliances are re-made.  That means if they try to stack one by swapping guilds, it gets re-balanced before the swap goes into effect.

Well they did say that manual transfers might still be there, within the population caps... but I'm fine with bandwagon guild members having to pay out the kitten to transfer. They could just use a flat fee of 1500 gems or something.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sviel.7493 said:

I think the part of your statement that makes what you said accurate is ‘like they do servers’

The way it ‘could’ be gamed, (and I am not sure this would happen) is a group creating an OCC/SEA alliance.  

any OTHER NA based alliance they get paired with would significantly have an advantage in matchups mainly because of coverage.  

of course, that OCX/SEA alliance would likely be bored out of their skulls, but if rewards became good enough, the incentive may be there..

On 9/8/2021 at 4:50 AM, Josh Davis.7865 said:

Just a friendly reminder that its friday today ^^

Best,

Zape

I'm sure many of your customers can translate the use of the word 'aiming' means this is still in some phase of the dev cycle and although a public release about it is just not ready yet you really want to get something out on this if it's possible and as a gesture of good intent, or something along those lines. I understand that, but I suppose I posted this for those that don't. Every day an update on this is delayed continues to burn social currency with your fans & player base thou, so if there is any way we (your fans and customers) can assist in greasing this track please let us know?

On 9/7/2021 at 7:50 PM, Josh Davis.7865 said:

Thanks for the post on WvW 😁, exciting!

A few questions:

1. Will Edge of the Mists also be affected during the beta test? (including rewards?)
  2. Three keywords stood out from the post for WvW -> "matchmaking", "set schedule", "seasons"

As WvW is objectives based and scoring involves:

• Capturing + holding objectives to score points
  • And killing enemy players
  • How will the matches' time duration (seasons) affect player behavior?

Example concept scenario:

1. In a 1-month match (higher fluctuations of participants), how might an alliance of 500 players play the 'match' knowing it's 1-month long? (ignoring people with alt-accounts - likely limited impact)
  2. In a 1-day match where 500 players 'must sleep' sometime (commanders/random players alike)...how would the match play out?
  3. In a 4-hour match with 3-sides (what the current EOTM uses - grouped servers) Will a 500 man Zerg focus on fighting another Zerg while risking holding objective points? How would 'time-cap' of each match affect player behavior? ☺️ Thanks!
Edited by Woop S.7851

players should receive participation for engaging in combat with enemy players, not ONLY when they kill other players.

if you defend an objective, by repairing a wall, and then lose the objective to the enemy, you still earn participation through the "defend the objective" event. therefore, you should trigger a "combat" event when you enter combat with an enemy player, and therefore earn participation for fighting. (obviously more participation for victory, but at least you should earn enough participation so you don't lose any)

the current system DISCOURAGES you from fighting enemy players because there's no participation for losing, even in a long drawn out 1v1 that you get ganked at the end by a group.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2021 at 9:26 PM, Woop S.7851 said:

Example concept scenario:

1. In a 1-month match (higher fluctuations of participants), how might an alliance of 500 players play the 'match' knowing it's 1-month long? (ignoring people with alt-accounts - likely limited impact)
  2. In a 1-day match where 500 players 'must sleep' sometime (commanders/random players alike)...how would the match play out?
  3. In a 4-hour match with 3-sides (what the current EOTM uses - grouped servers) Will a 500 man Zerg focus on fighting another Zerg while risking holding objective points? How would 'time-cap' of each match affect player behavior? ☺️ Thanks!

As an FYI, there will be no ‘500 player’ matches..

An alliance of 500 players is only one piece of a ‘world’.  There are multiple other guilds and players in each world.  

Edited by Strider Pj.2193

Hoping the mods will create a posting for each of the phases and the metrics, rolling all of this into one thread will make it harder to keep feedback relative for the testing phases. Good to see the blog post, am more of a server pride side of the equation but let's see what this opens up for for other WvW options. A good beta to all.

Edit: ANet also don't forget your other group, the group that doesn't like to lose their stuff too! Remember the golden rule is take their stuff,  don't lose yours and that's what creates the fights too! 🙂 

Edited by TheGrimm.5624

On 9/13/2021 at 8:46 AM, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Hoping the mods will create a posting for each of the phases and the metrics, rolling all of this into one thread will make it harder to keep feedback relative for the testing phases.

Snip 8<

I agree with you on the intent, but I believe that it's possible to use a single post that can keep track of all the phases & coordinate feedback by breaking it out into multiple permanent sub-threads.

A single post of this scope would be a "Road Map" thread with different Chapters for each of the planned phases that would have links to permanent sub-threads.

The Main Chapter threads would also be updateable as the game mode is modified in response to the feedback from the WvW community.

Example Road Map thread post:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/89449/wvg-world-vs-globes/p1

Yours truly,

Diku

Credibility requires critical insight & time.

Edited by Diku.2546
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...