Shattering the Status Quo

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Robert Gee.9246 said:

@Solori.6025 said:Wait...So instead of the system we have now where if you summon a phantasm while having 3 clones it replaces a clone..

If you summon a phantasm in the new system while you have max clones it'll just become a clone and not do any phantasm skill?!?!No, the phantasm will always attack. Then it will become a clone. If you have max clones at this point, it will replace an existing clone.

Theres no chance that the new clones taht will pop up from the phantasms will be diff in any way right? Like for example having axe mainhand and the phantasms turn into axe clones but their attack dont aply the same condi dmg as the og axe clones.

@"SapphireNeko.9170" said:Just to clarify, am I correct in understanding that phantasms will be "buffed" or essentially increase in damage/performance due to their single attack/use?Unless their damage/other effects will be massively buffed (and i do mean really massively), they will become as useful as guardians' spirit weapons (so, completely useless), so let's hope that is the case.

What bothers me a lot is the Quickness loss from Tides of Times. There was only more than sufficient Quickness because of that very skill.

Considering the isolated rotation:

Before we've had 3s from ToT, 3s from the other Chrono's ToT, 2x 3s from Signets and 4s from the Well. = 16s base Quickness. This was repeatable every 24s. So 50% Boon Duration was required for perma Quickness if everyone catches everything (utopistic).

Now we not only lost our ToT but also the one of the other Chrono. = 10s base Quickness. This will be repeatable every 25s. This means 150% Boon Duration (100% cap / no perfect gear stats / no perfect food).

Ofc we still have CS but the boon stacking cap makes it less valuable than you might think. The only sollution I see here is Time Warp which - pardon me - $ux. :-1:

So what does that mean for Chronophantasma? Are you completely rewriting that skill? How worthless are you going to make it?

Seemed to me that it did reward players for shattering. PvE play is vastly different wherever you are looking at it. Open world vs dungeons vs raids... the way people play is different. Shattering in open world has its benefits vs dungeons or raids where leaving a phantom is usually better, especially since you guys buffed their survival and tracking so they weren't as worthless to keep around.

I am not convinced these changes are for the best. Then again I have hated playing mesmer since HoT was released.

@flog.3485 said:

@Jojo.6140 said:Can someone explain why active gameplay is considered better than passive gameplay? Some people might enjoy a more laid-back and chilled gaming-experience, why would that be bad?

Because it is boring to play a passive gameplay in a game that promotes active combat ?

Whats boring and what isnt is highly subjective though. Thats why there are options to choose from.

@sleepy.2147 said:

@Jojo.6140 said:Can someone explain why active gameplay is considered better than passive gameplay? Some people might enjoy a more laid-back and chilled gaming-experience, why would that be bad?

Because it is boring to play a passive gameplay in a game that promotes active combat ?

One mans boring is another's fun. Some people like to go ice fishing after all.Good game design would allow for both play styles in letting passive play result in acceptable/ok DPS, yet making active play result in great/best possible DPS. Simple effort vs reward.

Maybe but here is the problem as well. They have been pushing active gameplay ever since the trait rework and the release of HoT, in the sense that we would be incentivized to use shatters, as it goes for mesmer. Passive damage dealers like P/P thieves or auto-attacking world bosses with a ranged weapon will still exist nevertheless. And frankly mesmer passive damage gameplay has never been really strong/acceptable/ok DPS, except for a very few encounters.

@Xyonon.3987 said:What bothers me a lot is the Quickness loss from Tides of Times. There was only more than sufficient Quickness because of that very skill.

Considering the isolated rotation:

Before we've had 3s from ToT, 3s from the other Chrono's ToT, 2x 3s from Signets and 4s from the Well. = 16s base Quickness. This was repeatable every 24s. So 50% Boon Duration was required for perma Quickness if everyone catches everything (utopistic).

Now we not only lost our ToT but also the one of the other Chrono. = 10s base Quickness. This will be repeatable every 25s. This means 150% Boon Duration (100% cap / no perfect gear stats / no perfect food).

Ofc we still have CS but the boon stacking cap makes it less valuable than you might think. The only sollution I see here is Time Warp which - pardon me - $ux. :-1:

Exactly.I think creating two different posts about these changes has created a distancing effect. But the reality is they both have a knock-on effect of each other. From the other thread;

@Robert Gee.9246 said:

@Sephylon.4938 said:Since alac is becoming a boon, will other classes gain access to the alacrity boon as well or will it still be chrono and rev that can give alac?We don't plan to add alacrity to other professions at this time.

@TwilightSoul.9048 said:I'm wondering about Quickness uptime for Chronomancer now since they replaced Quickness on Tides of Time with AlacrityI am guessing you are talking about uptime for a raid group and not personal quickness uptime? When we checked current raid builds we found that quickness uptime was already higher than 100%. Removing it from Tides of Time should still allow full uptime, though it may be a little more difficult to run without Time Warp now.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"SapphireNeko.9170" said:Just to clarify, am I correct in understanding that phantasms will be "buffed" or essentially increase in damage/performance due to their single attack/use?Unless their damage/other effects will be massively buffed (and i do mean really massively), they will become as useful as guardians' spirit weapons (so, completely useless), so let's hope that
is
the case.

Unless they drastically buff the power of phantasms and/or their effects, since they'll only attack once, it'll be a huge nerf for mesmers...

@daLira.6078 said:Ah no, ain't touching OP madness of Scourge and Spellbreaker in PvP, or vice versa how much Necro is probably in 1% of raid kills represented.

Nah, fix the class that most raids have trouble finding people for and that ain't broke to begin with and add stupid shatter mechanics.

Congratulations

Apparently you have not been in a 1v1 with a good Mesmer, in world vs world Mesmer is top teir and can easily destroy most players. Some change are needed.

I've made a larger response topic here:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/26716/response-to-the-incoming-changes-to-phantasms/p1?new=1

I'm overall a bit concerned as to what these changes may affect. While I'll hold back on final thoughts, what I've written is more a response to the underlying logic of the changes than implementation itself.

@Me Games Ma.8426 said:@"Xyonon.3987"I think it depends on how good the "improved alacrity" will be ( @Robert Gee.9246 can you tell us the values you had in mind? )If the trait is strong enough the uptime won't be the problem and to enable the quickness rotation only one chrono needs to run timewarp. (If it will stay at 2 chronos that is)From what they've already said, it will be 33% (so the same as it is now), with a reduced duration (both for the chrono only).

so because of pve...you're going to buff mirages in pvp even more? (which already spams shatters, often times without even needing to make an illusion first because they can burst people down that way anyways) and then you'll attempt to balance this "new spec" all in the middle of a pvp season? Wait what am I saying, it's likely the balance patches for this new spec are going to arrive after the season is over anyways.

I would rather the pvp mode be removed completely so you can focus on adding more pve contents because I'm really just playing pvp because I ran out of things to do in pve tbh.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Me Games Ma.8426 said:@"Xyonon.3987"I think it depends on how good the "improved alacrity" will be ( @Robert Gee.9246 can you tell us the values you had in mind? )If the trait is strong enough the uptime won't be the problem and to enable the quickness rotation only one chrono needs to run timewarp. (If it will stay at 2 chronos that is)From what they've already said, it will be 33% (so the same as it is now), with a reduced duration (both for the chrono only).

Where did you find that value? Did I miss something?

@Robert Gee.9246:First all, thank you very much for your dedication. I really like that you are promoting the active play. I'm curious and ask you if possible: Have you added at least one trait in the specializations that promotes the use of shatters? For example, in a heavy clone based specialization like Mirage, the use of shatters to damage doesn't seems too plausible to avoid lose dps. But if you add some trait that buff the shatters, that force their use to maximize your dps and will promote their use together with the ambush. Idem for any other defensive option too.

Thanks for you attention.

Archived