WvW Map Design Series Desert Borderlands

GDchiaScrub.3241

WvW Map Design Series Desert Borderlands

Hey hey hey. Here is the second map critique for this mini series, featuring Desert Borderlands. Had issues with those youtube upload monkeys, but nevertheless...here it is!

Paraphrasing.

My thoughts on Desert Borderlands.

1. In Regards to Immersion.On foot, and in your face the art is perfectly fine and dandy. In the big picture there are issues in the top area of area of the map that probably contributed to poor placement of the towers.

2. Those Map Mechanics.Unfortunately, like Eotm, I felt that the amount of mechanics added to this map have unbalanced it. These would be all the unique npcs, unique shrine effects, and gliding/territory (for the better in most high places). Believe me! I wanted to get specific about Shrine effects...but they probably should have just simplified them to movement speed buffs, and thematic map traversal (which is half what they do currently).

3. Sightlines!!!As far as seeing things go. Visibility of everything was fine. It's the towers that had most of the issues of being out place (that many people have stated) and strategically useless.

Alpine Borderlands video should be next to go. If you have any complicated questions or significant additions I will try to put that into the final Wrap Up video, such as detailed map mechanics.

Have any suggestions? Feel free to leave a comment. Or just troll me, that works too I guess. (This will be posted on both the new forums and WvW Reddit)

The TL;DR of DBL:

• It breaks the core element of WvW gameplay. Keeps threaten towers, towers threaten keeps, this is what is supposed to continously feed WvW activity. On DBL everything stands apart.
  • It fails to create clear battlefields between and within view of towers and keeps. On DBL there is no focus.
  • It fails as a border for the defenders as the top half of the map is exposed while the lower half is a no-go zone. On DBL it favors whoever holds the side keeps.

@Dawdler.8521 said:The TL;DR of DBL:

• It breaks the core element of WvW gameplay. Keeps threaten towers, towers threaten keeps, this is what is supposed to continously feed WvW activity. On DBL everything stands apart.
  • It fails to create clear battlefields between and within view of towers and keeps. On DBL there is no focus.
  • It fails as a border for the defenders as the top half of the map is exposed while the lower half is a no-go zone. On DBL it favors whoever holds the side keeps.

Yep! Sadly no amount of extra game mechanics in the world will change the positioning of objectives. Even mounts/gliding. :(

Archived