Jump to content
  • Sign Up

WvW gear advantage


Recommended Posts

What do you want, a new player to be instantly able to fully gear themselves in the best possible gear? That's not how MMO's work, and this one is less grindy than most. If you're new, you need to learn how to play in whatever gear you can acquire before expecting a full monty haul gearset. Exotics to ascended is barely 5-10% difference, it will not make that much of a difference no matter how many times you stamp your feet and claim otherwise. A good player in exotics will almost always beat a mediocre player in ascendeds (excepting mirages, which are too OP, but that's a different story).

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ascended gear dosent make that much of a diference, in truth, the only place you need it is Fractals...the stat diference is like what? 10% or something? Ascended gear cant carry you on fights, you still need skills to win fights. You might have a edge when fighting against people of the same skill as you, but better players will still beat you.

This. For sure, I've taken alts out into wvw and did fine without ascended gear. Roaming to boot.

Link to post
Share on other sites

All my alts are geared fully with exotic gears (weapons/armor) + ascended trinkets just 'cause they are redicoulusly easy to get. I don't see any difference between my main Mesmer who is full ascended + infusions to top it off vs my alt mesmer who is full exotic (I wanted an Asura mesmer). The only difference you can notice is in raids and high fractals where people run around with DPS meters.You are simply in refusal because you got your ass handed to you by more expirienced players and blame everything on "gear advantage" which doesn't exist in this game. It's normal for a new player to lose to more expirienced ones, practice makes perfect.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is barely any difference between exotic and ascended. I posted this before, or something like this:

  • A decent player in blues will easily beat a less than decent player in ascended
  • A horrible player in exotic can beat a great player in ascended, if the ascended player simply clicks the wrong button at the wrong time
  • 1 player in blues can beat 5 players in ascended if they jump them just at the right time and get off the right skill

Now if 2 equally skilled players playing the same class with the same latency and are guaranteed execute flawlessly... well that's never going to happen in WvW ever. The general play in WvW is running a group over or being run over by another group. Ascended isn't going to up your survival time when 10 players are leaping at you and a horde of shades are dropped at your feet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@ankortwat.4926 said:

@jacksmith.6028 said:Exotic is totally competitive. I have full ascended with infusions on one account and the exotics from the reward tracks on another. Not a huge amount of difference in performance . Most fight guilds I've been in are fine with exotics if you can show you know how to fight. The cool thing about WvW is that gear won't carry a player.

This... I have 4 Ascended pieces, 2 Legendary, Legendary weaps and Ascended trinkets all with infusions. I really look good.

They will not keep you alive much longer than Exotic if you don't have situational awareness!!!

yes they will, believe it or not

They will? You've stated you don't have them, yet you know they will keep you alive longer...

I had fully ascended before the recent meta change.

Fun fact your full Ascended doesn’t magically disappear when Meta changes and Stat swap is a thing that is extremely cheap.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@ankortwat.4926 said:hi guys would love to play WvW again, but I'm tired of all this farming in order to get the best gear, so if you made WvW like PvP or at least make it possible to get perfect WvW gear within 1-2 days, you would definitely get more players playing WvW.

You can WvW well enough with exotics and ascended trinkets. Pick a basic stat set for armor that you can manage with that isn't meta, do the triumphant armor reward tracks for free armor, get tickets, and craft grandmaster armorsmith marks, you get ascended armor cheaper and you can later on in the future convert them to legendaries too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@jacksmith.6028 said:Exotic is totally competitive. I have full ascended with infusions on one account and the exotics from the reward tracks on another. Not a huge amount of difference in performance . Most fight guilds I've been in are fine with exotics if you can show you know how to fight. The cool thing about WvW is that gear won't carry a player.

This... I have 4 Ascended pieces, 2 Legendary, Legendary weaps and Ascended trinkets all with infusions. I really look good.

They will not keep you alive much longer than Exotic if you don't have situational awareness!!!

yes they will, believe it or not

They will? You've stated you don't have them, yet you know they will keep you alive longer...

I had fully ascended before the recent meta change.

Fun fact your full Ascended doesn’t magically disappear when Meta changes and Stat swap is a thing that is extremely cheap.

^^^ THIS. It is a cheap conversion.

Then work on a new set.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@"jacksmith.6028" said:Exotic is totally competitive. I have full ascended with infusions on one account and the exotics from the reward tracks on another. Not a huge amount of difference in performance . Most fight guilds I've been in are fine with exotics if you can show you know how to fight. The cool thing about WvW is that gear won't carry a player.

This... I have 4 Ascended pieces, 2 Legendary, Legendary weaps and Ascended trinkets all with infusions. I really look good.

They will not keep you alive much longer than Exotic if you don't have situational awareness!!!

yes they will, believe it or not

They will? You've stated you don't have them, yet you know they will keep you alive longer...

I had fully ascended before the recent meta change.

Fun fact your full Ascended doesn’t magically disappear when Meta changes and Stat swap is a thing that is extremely cheap.

^^^ THIS. It is a cheap conversion.

Then work on a new set.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_equipment

And there is the wiki link.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be honest I don't WvW much, but as someone who plays sPvP I'm tired of the cries that something is OP for your unsupported format you call roaming and pretending it is any criteria of balance. So I'm for it.

I think it's a fair point that at the end of the day it is some sort of investment that you one way or another have no idea how effective something will be until you test it out, or check other peoples "benchmarks" that ends up driving the meta. People shouldn't have to respec all their gear to be competitive in a player killing player environment, doing so just pushes people away.

Anyways this lets a-net control roaming make it a standardized/supported format if done correctly; reducing the salt and tears.Current pvp balance is based around conquest cap points and we can do better, we should push it so it's about fights and have sPvP and WvW balance under the same banner.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think this would still keep the integrity of large scale battles.Sure you can't have immortal 2v1 3v1 builds but I don't think they should exist anyways.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@"Daishi.6027" said:I'll be honest I don't WvW much, but as someone who plays sPvP I'm tired of the cries that something is OP for your unsupported format you call roaming and pretending it is any criteria of balance. So I'm for it.

I think it's a fair point that at the end of the day it is some sort of investment that you one way or another have no idea how effective something will be until you test it out, or check other peoples "benchmarks" that ends up driving the meta. People shouldn't have to respec all their gear to be competitive in a player killing player environment, doing so just pushes people away.

Anyways this lets a-net control roaming make it a standardized/supported format if done correctly; reducing the salt and tears.Current pvp balance is based around conquest cap points and we can do better, we should push it so it's about fights and have sPvP and WvW balance under the same banner.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think this would still keep the integrity of large scale battles.Sure you can't have immortal 2v1 3v1 builds but I don't think they should exist anyways.

So.... this format would allow someone to mix maurauders and grieving and soldiers into the same build? While allowing same person to slowly reduce the soldiers to add more maurauders in?

There IS a standardized system. It's called the stats WvW uses.... which is all of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@"Daishi.6027" said:I'll be honest I don't WvW much, but as someone who plays sPvP I'm tired of the cries that something is OP for your unsupported format you call roaming and pretending it is any criteria of balance. So I'm for it.

I think it's a fair point that at the end of the day it is some sort of investment that you one way or another have no idea how effective something will be until you test it out, or check other peoples "benchmarks" that ends up driving the meta. People shouldn't have to respec all their gear to be competitive in a player killing player environment, doing so just pushes people away.

Anyways this lets a-net control roaming make it a standardized/supported format
if done correctly
; reducing the salt and tears.Current pvp balance is based around conquest cap points and we can do better, we should push it so it's about fights and have sPvP and WvW balance under the same banner.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think this would still keep the integrity of large scale battles.Sure you can't have immortal 2v1 3v1 builds but I don't think they should exist anyways.

So.... this format would allow someone to mix maurauders and grieving and soldiers into the same build? While allowing same person to slowly reduce the soldiers to add more maurauders in?

There IS a standardized system. It's called the stats WvW uses.... which is all of them.

Nope would take it allll away, because the inflated and mixable stats aren't very balanced and they were never intend to be on small scale.But if people are going to complain x, y, and z, is OP on that flawed criteria might as well impose amulets so it can be restricted and controlled like they obviously want it to be.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Daishi.6027 said:

@Daishi.6027 said:I'll be honest I don't WvW much, but as someone who plays sPvP I'm tired of the cries that something is OP for your unsupported format you call roaming and pretending it is any criteria of balance. So I'm for it.

I think it's a fair point that at the end of the day it is some sort of investment that you one way or another have no idea how effective something will be until you test it out, or check other peoples "benchmarks" that ends up driving the meta. People shouldn't have to respec all their gear to be competitive in a player killing player environment, doing so just pushes people away.

Anyways this lets a-net control roaming make it a standardized/supported format
if done correctly
; reducing the salt and tears.Current pvp balance is based around conquest cap points and we can do better, we should push it so it's about fights and have sPvP and WvW balance under the same banner.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think this would still keep the integrity of large scale battles.Sure you can't have immortal 2v1 3v1 builds but I don't think they should exist anyways.

So.... this format would allow someone to mix maurauders and grieving and soldiers into the same build? While allowing same person to slowly reduce the soldiers to add more maurauders in?

There IS a standardized system. It's called the stats WvW uses.... which is all of them.

Nope would take it allll away, because the inflated and mixable stats aren't very balanced and they were never intend to be on small scale.But if people are going to complain x, y, and z, is OP on that flawed criteria might as well impose amulets so it can be restricted and controlled like they obviously want it to be.

If certain players want Standardized Stats and builds and zero build diversity Anet provided them a Gamemode completely designed around that since the beginning of the game. Just saying.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@ankortwat.4926 said:hi guys would love to play WvW again, but I'm tired of all this farming in order to get the best gear, so if you made WvW like PvP or at least make it possible to get perfect WvW gear within 1-2 days, you would definitely get more players playing WvW.

OMG try Archeage or Black Desert for 1 day, you would come back to GW2 and be grateful you don't gotta grind for a year and spend thousands of dollars just to be competitive. If we get equalized pvp gear and skills we would become a moba style FFXIV pvp joke. We also don't got Black Desert gear disparities, thank god. GW2 is the closest thing to pvp gear perfection atm

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is extremely easy to get a full set of ascended gear and trinkets in this game even for someone like me who does not do PVP and PVE at all. Just to give you an idea of how unaccomplished i am in the game, I have around 21K AP but i have been in only a third of dungeons this game has to offer and my HoT thorns map are nowhere near being completed, all those 21K points are from salvaging drops from WvW which is the only game mode i play, I have been in eotm less than 10 times coz that map is way too confusing for me but if you can farm reward tracks there if you want. With the availability of the legendary armor vendor in wvw, this makes it way easier by just playing wvw.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can take a long time getting proper gear, and playing a long time outside of WvW. I know many good players, who are rather playing other games, than do Living Story to unlock this and that stat and so on. Some just don't have time, and that 2-3 hour want to spend in WvW, not in PvE & story.

You have to understand that not everyone likes the PvE part of this game. I did it somehow, I try to like it, but I have fun only in WvW, though I like PvE in other games, but not GW2.

Similar to sPvP, WvW could have WvW exclusive armor, and let the "gear grind" stay in PvE. (Even if it's a shorter and easier "grind")

There are many classes I'd like to try, but don't have proper gear, and I just can't do another set anymore, I rather watch a movie, just can't stand crafting and the rest... So when my current set becomes outdated, I will rather quit than get gear again. The stat difference is big enough to matter, just think about full Berserker vs. full Marauder, though of course depends on class & build as well. Being limited by gear restricts you to a class & role that anyway becomes sooner or later outdated.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to see an armor smith / weapon smith / jewel vendor is added to wvw spawn to all factions, which provide gear rental service.You pay a bit of gold, to envelop yourself in a selected full exotic stat gear (armor, weapon and jewel, rune and sigil) temporary, expire on logoff, so that players can test out the effectiveness of some build/gear combos instead of actually craft the gear. This will also reduce gear differences to only exotic and ascended level.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just think about a new account, does some PvE till level 80 and tries WvW: you have no gear at all, but can buy a full set of exotics, mostly outdated stats though. Each ascended accessories can take 1-2 days of 8h+ playtime, maybe more if you are new and have to read wiki & watch youtube instructions. Armor even longer, depends on stats, but likely is a set that won't be good for every class and build. That means you need a lot of gear, even if you find the perfect class (very likely this won't happen)... These all mean that if a player can't stomach a few months of PvE, Living Story, gold farming, crafting, and many others, completely unrelated to WvW, they can't be at same level gearwise. It's not the same long grind from Lineage or P2W & grind in many other games, but it's still a long time outside of WvW.

I gave a try to ESO and quit after 1-2 months because the gear grind and PvE story that was a must before going into their RvR, though I liked their PvE, but I don't have time to play it, I just want RvR games. Some of you may say, that those who aren't into PvE gear grind, go and find another game, but that is not necessary: those who can't stomach it, will do just that, we just have less WvW players, and I think it is a loss for everyone involved.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@"Tiawal.2351" said:Can take a long time getting proper gear, and playing a long time outside of WvW. I know many good players, who are rather playing other games, than do Living Story to unlock this and that stat and so on. Some just don't have time, and that 2-3 hour want to spend in WvW, not in PvE & story.

You have to understand that not everyone likes the PvE part of this game. I did it somehow, I try to like it, but I have fun only in WvW, though I like PvE in other games, but not GW2.

Similar to sPvP, WvW could have WvW exclusive armor, and let the "gear grind" stay in PvE. (Even if it's a shorter and easier "grind")

There are many classes I'd like to try, but don't have proper gear, and I just can't do another set anymore, I rather watch a movie, just can't stand crafting and the rest... So when my current set becomes outdated, I will rather quit than get gear again. The stat difference is big enough to matter, just think about full Berserker vs. full Marauder, though of course depends on class & build as well. Being limited by gear restricts you to a class & role that anyway becomes sooner or later outdated.

You can get full Ascended without ever having to leave WvW. And it doesn’t take that long, and once someone has a set of Ascended Armor they can either upgrade it to Legendary, or Just statswap it to another Stat set.

If players want Standardized gear Anet made them a gamemode specifically designed around just that and it’s not WvW.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...