Very strong Sales for GW2 in 4Q17

Belenwyn.8674

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:RNG works! RNG WORKS! This is why no amount of forum threads will ever make anet change their gambling boxes in any shape or form. You are buying these things.

Also, strongest Q for GW2 is weakest Q for Lineage, an ancient game. L.O.L.

Pretty sure that was Q3 not 4. They have ALWAYS had RNG, and the ONLY time they overstepped was for the mount license, which they promised to never do again, but that was for Q3 not 4. So there you go.

Don’t say it’s RNG because it isn’t ok. Let’s not be so simple about this. I predicted this would happen, I don’t know how many predictions gotta come out my mouth before Anet starts paying me. And THATS how it’s done babyyyy I’m happy for Anet. Also I’m starting to think that I’m a psychic cuz damn I’m on point most of the time.

@Adry.7512 said:Don’t say it’s RNG because it isn’t ok. Let’s not be so simple about this. I predicted this would happen, I don’t know how many predictions gotta come out my mouth before Anet starts paying me. And THATS how it’s done babyyyy I’m happy for Anet. Also I’m starting to think that I’m a psychic cuz kitten I’m on point most of the time.

Keep in mind it's still lower than HoT

@Adry.7512 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:RNG works! RNG WORKS! This is why no amount of forum threads will ever make anet change their gambling boxes in any shape or form. You are buying these things.

Pretty sure that was Q3 not 4. They have ALWAYS had RNG, and the ONLY time they overstepped was for the mount license, which they promised to never do again, but that was for Q3 not 4. So there you go.

The Adoption License debuted with the November 7, 2017 patch ... in Q4.

edit: and ANet did not promise to never do an RNG license for mounts again. The promises were that they would not add mounts to this license, and that the next, planned releases would be bundles or individual skins.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:We don't know how much of that jump is from sales of the game versus sales in the gem shop. All we know is that income is up.

I remember reading that, on a year-by-year basis, about half of GW2's income was from the cash shop. It's hard to know if that means it would be e.g. 60-40 during pre-sales & launch periods and 30-70 the rest of the time or whether it's consistent from quarter to quarter.

Even if the sales are 50% cash shop, we don't know what types of items generated the most revenue. Is it 2k Mountfits? Or server transfers? or 400 gem RNG licenses? Or the new BL keys? More likely, it's some complicated combination of all of the above (and more).

So all we really know is that income is up. And that is good for the game and for ANet. What it means for the long run... we won't know until we see how ANet plays things out going forward.

Well, we don't even know how much of the income stays with ArenaNet and which part of the share goes to NCSoft.

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:

The Adoption License debuted with the November 7, 2017 patch ... in Q4.

edit: and ANet did
not
promise to never do an RNG license for mounts again. The promises were that they would not add mounts to this license, and that the next, planned releases would be bundles or individual skins.

Ah, yea you’re right. Well, just like any other variable, let’s see the next few quarters to draw a more concrete conclusion.

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:We don't know how much of that jump is from sales of the game versus sales in the gem shop. All we know is that income is up.

I remember reading that, on a year-by-year basis, about half of GW2's income was from the cash shop. It's hard to know if that means it would be e.g. 60-40 during pre-sales & launch periods and 30-70 the rest of the time or whether it's consistent from quarter to quarter.

Even if the sales are 50% cash shop, we don't know what types of items generated the most revenue. Is it 2k Mountfits? Or server transfers? or 400 gem RNG licenses? Or the new BL keys? More likely, it's some complicated combination of all of the above (and more).

So all we really know is that income is up. And that is good for the game and for ANet. What it means for the long run... we won't know until we see how ANet plays things out going forward.

Well, we don't even know how much of the income stays with ArenaNet and which part of the share goes to NCSoft.

I don't think it works that way. It all goes to NCsoft technically. NcSoft owns Anet. Anet will obviously have an operating budget. Does that budget go up and down based on sales? Probably not so much.

Archived