Storyline Disconnects - [Merged]

I have good internet. I'm hard-lined in. I never lose server connection when in the regular game. Not when there's huge amounts of people. Or open world events or bosses. Never.

But when I DO lose server connection? ALWAYS DURING A LONG-KITTEN STORY MISSION. And then I have to do the entire thing ALL.OVER.AGAIN. My most recent, infuriating encounter with this was during "The Departing" mission. Which, if any of you have played is quite long. I was literally 1 minute away from finishing and then it said it lost server connection. This isn't the first time this has happened either. Always seems to happen on LONG missions too.

Is there something about story missions that makes them inherently unstable? Like they've made SO many excellent improvements in the 5 years I've played, but the whole "have to do the entire mission over again" thing is still a problem. Is there really nothing that can be done?

FFS, why Anet

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Arenanet has been having some connection issues since the launch of PoF. I don't know if you were playing at launch, but people couldn't even start the story missions. I know it's frustrating, I had just finished the story mission where we just arrive in the desert. However my game crashed when I tried to leave the story instance. So I did not get the waypoint in the desert. I therefore had to go through the beginning mission again to get in the desert. They have been working on it though. Must better than it used to be a week ago.

Reported this in-game and haven't gotten a response.

I was disconnected 3/3 times after killing Balthazar in "To Kill A God". Watched the post-fight cinematic, then immediately get the "game client lost its connection to the server" pop up.

Grasping at straws, I hid my outfit, Brand's Wolfblood, and skipped the cinematic and was finally able to progress. Don't know unfortunately if it was skipping or the outfit that changed things, but one of those two appears to have some issues with this encounter.

Can confirm that I have the same issue. I have tried this fight multiple times as well. The game DCs after the cinematics.

Other problems encountered during this quest:

• The dragon disappears completely. Only respawns, if you restart from the waypoint.
  • The dragon goes far outside the fire ring. Forcing me to restart the quest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Night of Fires (after defeating the Forged boss, before going to the temple of Kormir) and the Departing (after being knocked down by you-know-who the last time). 5/5 times now... 5 different characters... always disconnects. Second time always works. Same pace of play, everything. The Departing one is particularly brutal... You to do everything all over. ;(

I will agree that I dislike "The Departing". Its one of the few missions that due to its length is more prone to disconnections. I've noticed it in other missions and it can be very infuriating. Like the mission "To Kill A God" which isn't lengthy in itself but I experienced several disconnects which turned a pleasant and fun boss fight into more of a boring chore.

This has been a problem for a long time and I don't think Anet has any plans on trying to fix it. Just happened to me during Prisoners of the Dragon in HoT. I never get disconnects while playing any other aspect of the game. I almost never get disconnects playing other online games. I don't know what it is about story instances but they are very unstable. Unfortunately it always seems to happen during long instances where the npcs love to talk and walk at a snail's pace.

The disconnects had been happening to me recently and I did get suggestions from Support to make sure my firewall and antivirus was set to exclude GW2 and two other files. Everything was going great, I did a few more PoF story instances with no problem, then I was kicked at the very end of To Kill a God. It stinks to have completed the instance, feeling pretty good at the accomplishment and then losing it all because of some silly glitch. I'm not really up for running it again if the same thing happens. RNGesus is now affecting instances as well, I guess. I did update my support ticket and hopefully there's some "magic fix".

I can confirm that I have the same issue. I have reported it in game and in the forums and have yet to see a solution. There area numb er of other threads with similar reports. I disconnect in every Path of Fire story that has a cinematic at the end. I disconnect once the cinematic ends but do not get credit for progress or the reward. I am so frustrated after fighting Balthazar so many times with no credit !

I UTTERLY hate this problem - it is really ruining the game for me. It always happens right at the very end of very long missions....I've just had it happen right at the end of Living World Season 3 (I'm playing catchup before heading into PoF content) and it crashed after what must've been about an hours-worth of mission. This happened constantly through the HoT content as well. I registered a complaint with ArenaNet and they did nothing about it. How can they not have fixed this yet?!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If you're getting disconnect in the story at specific points, it's a repeatable problem and you don't normally get disconnected outside of the story, I've heard of 2 causes.

It can be caused by an interference with your connection. You can attempt to run the game on port 80 or 443 (-clientport 80) as a potential workaround, or use a VPN to fully tunnel the connection.

It can be caused by your GPU essentially turning off during cinematics or swapping to an integrated GPU if you have one. If you're running Gw2-64.exe, you can try renaming it to Gw2.exe or alternatively configuring Gw2-64.exe to only use your dedicated GPU under your GPU's control panel. You can also try to keep the GPU alive by running something else in the background, such as using GPU-Z to both monitor and run a test. This may be caused by power saving options.

Same issue here... DC after the fight completes..Fucking annoying... Andd I know it registered just fine because I unlocked the achievement: "Won't get killed again".I can play this game hours on end without any disconnect issues. It only happens in certain instances and only seems to happen during the last "big chapter" of a story. My internet connection is NOT at fault, I can guarantuee it (Network & Security Engineer by profession, I would know if my connection was bad)As such I performed some tests with some packet captures (Wireshark) to "see" whats going on... At the moment you get a DC message, I can see a TCP reset happening.. Might be a bad keep alive mechanism but that's only a guess since I don't manage the Anet environment.. Might also even mean nothing, but it's there...A fix for this would be much appreciated..

• 3 weeks later...

I know complaining here will will have no effect whatsoever on ARENANET but after almost completing two separate stories TWICE in a row EACH, and LOSING ALL MY PROGRESS, one PoF and another in the original game I am just so fed up. I NEVER get disconnected playing the normal game it is just in the kitten stories. I have no idea what to do. WHY oh why does it choose stores to disconnect.

I Had OFTEN the same problem, most of the time during story missions, usually at the end, and I hade always to do again all, great was at the end of my personal story, I slained zhaitan and .. puff, disconnection and .. do it again from the start! praise game designer, pardon, Joko... :D

I love GW2. I want to play it. But these random disconnects are absolutely killing my fun. My boyfriend and I have been playing through the vanilla game's story content, and the disconnects are frequent and unforgiving (due to no checkpoints). They often happen after cutscenes. Like, I'll be in a cutscene/conversation with a story NPC, and as soon as the cutscene ends I find myself with the disconnect image above my head and get booted out. These disconnects seem to be more likely to happen at the end of the mission, and seem to be much more likely on longer story missions. We've been DC'd twice on the final story mission. Once when we were about to board the airship, and another time after killing the mouth of Zhaitan. It's turning what should be a fun storyline into a grueling slog.

I've read that not only is this a common issue, but it plagues all other aspects of the game (Heart of thorns instances, living world instances, path of fire instances, fractals, etc). Has Arenanet ever commented on this issue? Is there a fix on the way? We've decided to take an extended break from the game, hoping that when we come back it will be fixed. But I really want to play the rest of the game! But it's a game ruining bug.

I don't think this is on my end. I never have any connection issues in anything else. I got a completely new computer recently and it still happens, too.

Can confirm. Bought full game and have been going through story. Have to complete every scene twice because at the VERY END it disconnects and resets to beginning. Normally after beating final boss.

I have extremely high speed internet, no issues with any other games, nor any issues with GW2 except on the personal story. It happens like clockwork. I go in to every instance planning to do it twice now. Since I have generally only 1-2 hours at a time to play it's ruining this aspect of the game.