Why the word "god" is censored? Answer: It's not

Michram.6853

My guess is the forum came with a default list of censored words.

On a lot of forums that would be a good one to include both to prevent religious discussion (which tends to be very controversial and can quickly turn nasty) and several cursewords/exclamations that some people find offensive.

But I agree that on this forum it makes no sense to censor it because gods are a major part of the game's lore and one that's going to get talked about a lot with the upcoming expansion.

@Chickenooble.5014 said:

@jokke.6239 said:

@Arden.7480 said:I want to check if Allah is censored (not offence to anyone!!)

It isnt. Blame Balthazar! xD

Why would that be offensive?

Because some people get offended over everything. @Arden.7480 , now I dare you to post a picture instead of the name.

unfortunately (or perhaps thankfully in this case?) the current security settings of the forum only lets you post links. not actual pictures. unless they are on the gw2 server.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like it was censored because "God," used as a profanity or an exclamation, is very offensive to some people from some cultures. The issue with this particular word is that it has many uses beyond exclamation or profanity. While words like F* or Sh are used almost exclusively to cuss or exclaim, "God" is used in many different mediums. But the fact that it can be used as a profanity, puts it in a weird sort of limbo for online-forum-moderation purposes.Like many have said, however, it is not practical to censor "God" on a forum for a game/story in which gods play a major plot role.

• ArenaNet Staff

@Arden.7480 said:Yay it's not censored anymore. :)

It never was, as far as I can remember. I can recall making no no changes to the filter to allow that word, I would not have added that word (for obvious reasons, I hope), and it simply is not filtered. If it appeared filtered when this post was made, back in September when the forum opened, then I unlisted it at that time. I am thinking if someone experienced this today, there was some sort of short-term glitch. But as I stated above, it's not on our list, and I can use all variations just fine: God, god, Gods, gods. I cannot use swear words incorporating the word "god" but then, I shouldn't do that anyway. :)

• ArenaNet Staff

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:@"Weindrasi.3805" I don't know if you noticed, but "god" and "gods" were removed from the kittenizer™ list a month ago. Whether it was an accident or a deliberate mistake in judgment, it's long since been fixed.

On what basis on you making that statement? Can you establish that this happened? A search reveals that we have posts starting on the day the forums opened incorporating the word "god." We have events with the word in their title. We have a title with that word within it.

As the forum administrator, I cannot recall removing the word from the filter, and I'm sure no one else would have done so, nor would they have had the permissions that allowed them to do so.

Archived