Why the word "god" is censored? Answer: It's not

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:@"Weindrasi.3805" I don't know if you noticed, but "god" and "gods" were removed from the kittenizer™ list a month ago. Whether it was an accident or a deliberate mistake in judgment, it's long since been fixed.

On what basis on you making that statement? Can you establish that this happened? A search reveals that we have posts starting on the day the forums opened incorporating the word "god." We have events with the word in their title. We have a
title
with that word within it.

As the forum administrator, I cannot recall removing the word from the filter, and I'm sure no one else would have done so, nor would they have had the permissions that allowed them to do so.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:@"Weindrasi.3805" I don't know if you noticed, but "god" and "gods" were removed from the kittenizer™ list a month ago. Whether it was an accident or a deliberate mistake in judgment, it's long since been fixed.

On what basis on you making that statement? Can you establish that this happened? A search reveals that we have posts starting on the day the forums opened incorporating the word "god." We have events with the word in their title. We have a
title

As the forum administrator, I cannot recall removing the word from the filter, and I'm sure no one else would have done so, nor would they have had the permissions that allowed them to do so.

as this post and you point out @Gaile Gray.6029 2 questions first it was made just as the new forums opened up . could it be that all happened over on the OLD FOURMS ???? and it was just forgotten about over TIME ??? which if i recall right if it is not soon or happened already that the OLD forums are now gone for ever right ????

second question is being this word of god or gods and the use of them words in forums and game i find very offending to me personally as well as a very strong believe this should not be in the game its self . unless it regards to lore wise. as them words offend my personal beliefs . and very strongly believe religion's of the real world should not nor do they belong in a video game. as this can only lead to may worse problems that can get easy dragged onto the forums here . then you have to ban all them people for it . so what it is i am asking here is this. is their some way to stop a possible problem before it happens . and so no one gets infected or banned or any thing at all . and do it in such a way the only time that word gets used is in lore. other wise the kittenizer kicks in and does its job saving you and forum mods time in work hours and reports and such and so forth ?????? if not i still thank you for the answer .

• ArenaNet Staff

Just checked: God is not in the filter for the old forums. Whether it was filtered years ago, I cannot say, but I don't believe it was.

As to your second question, as I pointed out, the word "god" is included within our lore, our titles, even the names of achievements or events. The word is not inherently offensive or pejorative. If you see it abused, by all means report a post. But as for censoring the word outright, we don't intend to do that.

• ArenaNet Staff

@Shadowzerk.4715 said:

@Arden.7480 said:That's kinda weird... Will you too censore this word in-game?? That's kinda weird that instead of "god" (g o d) there appears "kitten" instead.

if they did, what would happened to my "War God's Greatsword"? rename to "War Kitten's Greatsword"? :#

Come on! That revised name makes the weapon twice as special! :D

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

title

My apologies, I was referring to the posts above that said it was being filtered. And then fixed. I shouldn't have presumed that there was an actual issue in the first place. I took it on faith.

I was responding to the post above mine that was made a month after the last previous post. If there ever was an issue, it was long since resolved.

Again, my apologies for confusing things.@Gaile Gray.6029 I'm going to redact my post above; feel free to apply any clean up you need to do.

• ArenaNet Staff

@AegisRunestone.8672 said:I think d-u-m-b is censored, too.

As an example:"You're kitten, you'll die, and leave kitten corpse."

Hmmm... I didn't see that word on the list. Honestly, some of the additions are a little odd. I've gone through it a few times, but I'll do so again... after I put on my rose-colored glasses and prepare my mental floss. ;)

@Majic.4801 said:I believe in Kitten.

Allright Majic, you used "kitten" there, and you know it! ;)

WTF (W T F) is also censored as seen here. Yes I know what it means and everyone else as well that has been on the Internet for any amount of time. IMO it is still a harmless expression of sorts because it isn't spelled out. Sometimes you just want to say, "W T F, why was my word turned to kitten?" ;) I don't recall it being turned to kitten on the old forum. I don't see it as any worse than, "This is BS," for example on a PG-13 game forum. No real loss if it remains a kitten. I just found it interesting that it ended up being a kitten here when it wasn't on the old forum.

@DBZVelena.5186 said:

@AegisRunestone.8672 said:It seems kitten is filtered, but not gods.

Probably because of g o d d a m n, but gods as in the six gods isn't because usually when people post that they're talking game lore.

If you look at it, and compare the quote from DBZVelena's post with the original quoted post of AegisRunestone (which is not kittenized now), it seems that the filter has indeed changed somewhere between then and now.