Greatsword 2018

Huskyboy.1053

@Nimon.7840 said:

@Crinn.7864 said:The current live version of Soul Eater does reduce GS CDs.

I meant the ealier version that had lifesteal and reduced cooldowns on a gravedigger hit

Why? That version was so much worse than the current version. Under than version you would have to land 7 gravediggers in order to get equivalent cooldown reduction to what the live version of the trait does passively. Not to mention that the live version of Soul Eater has far more sustain value than the pathetic life steal the original version had.

And still its the worst of all choices. Decimate defenses or chilling victoey is just so luch better.

It's 200 hp/s on top of all other incremental healing you might have, which is really good. Also you're overlooking that it also gives 0.5% LF per second. 200 hp/s may not seem like much but it adds up. To put it in perspective just spending 10 seconds in greatsword with Soul Eater will net you 2k healing and 5% Life Force, which is really good for a passive.

If you are running Greatsword, you run Soul Eater. Nothing else in that tier can compete with it.

Tbh. Fights dont last long enough to make zse of that traitANDU dont want to spend too much time on gs, because its way too slow and doesnt have range.

Right now its more like: burst or get bursted

And against kitten like that healing pet buff ranger, u wont stand a chance either cause their sustain is way better.

And in addition to wat. We only have very little access to regeneration.

And even if you try to make a tanky, regeneration bunker build. With chilling victory you get 5% lf per 10 seconds as well in addition to might.And somehow, you want to kill your enemy right?

Hey Nimon it's possible that Crinn is playing in a different tier; I'm usually Plat 1/2 and will finish this season in the top 100, maybe top 50. Fights do tend to end more quickly at lower tiers due to people not understanding how to kite and sustain themselves. At my level, I use Flesh Wurm to avoid big bursts, which gives me extra room for kiting (and subsequently LF generation from GS). Soul Eater is super useful because it's passive; if someone is chasing me then I can kite for a while, surprise them by turning around and hitting them with GS 3 or planting GS 4, then go into shroud and burst them. You are correct that power necro is all about the burst, it doesn't have great sustained dps.

If you're finding that fights are burst or be bursted and that they end quickly (with you dying) then frankly you should start being more cowardly. Kite. A lot. My primary builds this season are Meditrapper and Power Rev, and I can tell you I'm seeing a LOT of bad scourges, who are tankier than power necro. I can kill them easy cuz they just pop AoE and assume I can't kill them (incorrect). In the situation that I'm pressuring them, what they SHOULD be doing is kite up onto non-teleport spots and force me to walk to them... but they don't. Your two best sources of sustain as a necro are high lifeforce and strong kiting skills. Other stuff like Spectral Armor are just gravy.

I just wish it could sustain in shroud better to be able to deal with foes. You used to be able to play glass power reaper extremely aggressively with the right traits (it honestly rewarded aggression and punished passive play, which is why people claimed it was weak when it was perfect), but it's now honestly relegated to kiting and intermittent burst as mentioned above. If I wanted to do that, I'd just pick my thief at char select.

Honestly, the only changes I would like to see to Greatsword are a buff to the Chill duration of Chilling Scythe (maybe reducing cast time to 3/4 second as well) and improvements to reliability of Grasping Darkness (removing projectile properties would be a great one to start). Reaper needs some major help, but I don't think Greatsword is the spot where it needs to happen.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/29087/my-little-weapon-skill-buff-wishlist#latestmay not be the best ideas but meh thought i'd post just for the heck of it.I think if the aa was to see a cast time reduction then the chill on aa would have to be reduced to compensate.barrier on gravedig sounds cool tho, per hit for extra tankiness.

Honestly I don't think Greatsword needs much help. Shave the cast times of 2, 3 and 5 by a quarter second, and reduce Nightfall's duration by half, making it hit every second instead of every 2 seconds. (maybe reduce its cooldown to 20s) It should be a burst weapon but it's ever so slightly too slow for that.

Mostly where I think Reaper needs help is its outdated traits. Soul Eater is one of the few that are up-to-date, which makes it the best PvP pick. Decimate Defenses is nice but not optimal for PvP but a great pick for PvE. Chilling Victory needs more to it, if it wants to stay as a relevant pick. Relentless Pursuit needs something more, honestly don't think I've ever seen anyone pick it. Chilling Nova needs a CD reduction for PvE. Biggest issues are the Grandmaster traits, as currently they all fall short in the space allotted for them.

• Blighter's Boon needs an increase in effectiveness either by flat out doubling its numbers, or by allowing both of the effects to always proc whether in shroud or not. I prefer the latter one, and by no means should both of these happen.
  • Deathly Chill should become power-oriented, just give it a flat power hit upon inflicting chill. Reapers condition days are done, there's Scourge for that now. Once upon a time if ANet had taken Reaper into a different direction, this could be different but it is too late now. Full commitment to power is required now.
  • Reaper's Onslaught has a nice flavor but I don't think it fulfills the purpose it sets out to do. The ferocity buff is nice and useful. But the other 2 make this trait conflicting with itself and the CD reduction even conflicts with the base idea Reaper is going for currently. Reaper Shroud is supposed to be a burst tool, going in and out of shroud fast, but what this CD reduction wants is for you to sit in shroud, which makes it counterproductive. Honestly this deserves a thread of its own, so won't go into more detail here.

Sorry for the off-topic. :lol:

GS is honestly in a decent spot. Maybe a cdr on twilight by a few seconds, but I've never had an issue with the speed.

I really would prefer onslaught to reset again on-kill. You're absolutely right that with the current degen rate, it defeats its own purpose.

BB also needs it with the degen rate because you can no longer camp shroud for boons. That or CV needs its icd removed altogether so 3->4 or 5->4 with it generate a burst heal. It was definitely better when at 1s, though.

The problem with DC is that chill is easily applied in rapid succession, but not easily applied over time. I think if they cut the poison on Spiral, they could probably add extra chill to the kit and make this trait work reasonably well.

@DeceiverX.8361 said:GS is honestly in a decent spot. Maybe a cdr on twilight by a few seconds, but I've never had an issue with the speed.

I really would prefer onslaught to reset again on-kill. You're absolutely right that with the current degen rate, it defeats its own purpose.

BB also needs it with the degen rate because you can no longer camp shroud for boons. That or CV needs its icd removed altogether so 3->4 or 5->4 with it generate a burst heal. It was definitely better when at 1s, though.

The problem with DC is that chill is easily applied in rapid succession, but not easily applied over time. I think if they cut the poison on Spiral, they could probably add extra chill to the kit and make this trait work reasonably well.

I've always disliked that Reaper's Onslaught has zero use outside of shroud. I'd rather they scrapped the recharge bonus and instead add a temporary ferocity bonus, of +300, whenever you leave shroud. Say 5 seconds, so you can't gain both bonuses at the same time in normal circumstances.

@Lahmia.2193 said:

@DeceiverX.8361 said:GS is honestly in a decent spot. Maybe a cdr on twilight by a few seconds, but I've never had an issue with the speed.

I've always disliked that Reaper's Onslaught has zero use outside of shroud. I'd rather they scrapped the recharge bonus and instead add a temporary ferocity bonus, of +300, whenever you leave shroud. Say 5 seconds, so you can't gain both bonuses at the same time in normal circumstances.

I was throwing around an idea in my head that would make that Ferocity bonus a unique self-buff, like Always Angry is on Berserker. That way you would have a more interesting DPS rotation instead of just Gravedigger spamming after 50% health.

@Sarrs.4831 said:What's the point of greatsword when you can just poke from safety with Axe and if you need to AoE spam, you can enter Shroud and drop 5 then 4?

GS is utility tool.

3 for vulnerability/ a little burst dmg especially funny with quickness sigil.4 for defense/leech5 interrupt/pull (see that deadeye on the cliff pull him or well you can try if it hits hit ratio is horrible)2 cleave low hp/downed, in right conditions it does crazy dmg it never hurts to try low cd..1 aa is not bad, but don't expect much of it

@Lahmia.2193 said:

I'd just rather have the old version. It was really nice with Death's Charge resets and with RS3 for stability uptime in WvW and PvP.

@Huskyboy.1053 said:

@Crinn.7864 said:The current live version of Soul Eater does reduce GS CDs.

I meant the ealier version that had lifesteal and reduced cooldowns on a gravedigger hit

Why? That version was so much worse than the current version. Under than version you would have to land 7 gravediggers in order to get equivalent cooldown reduction to what the live version of the trait does passively. Not to mention that the live version of Soul Eater has far more sustain value than the pathetic life steal the original version had.

And still its the worst of all choices. Decimate defenses or chilling victoey is just so luch better.

It's 200 hp/s on top of all other incremental healing you might have, which is really good. Also you're overlooking that it also gives 0.5% LF per second. 200 hp/s may not seem like much but it adds up. To put it in perspective just spending 10 seconds in greatsword with Soul Eater will net you 2k healing and 5% Life Force, which is really good for a passive.

If you are running Greatsword, you run Soul Eater. Nothing else in that tier can compete with it.

Tbh. Fights dont last long enough to make zse of that traitANDU dont want to spend too much time on gs, because its way too slow and doesnt have range.

Right now its more like: burst or get bursted

And against kitten like that healing pet buff ranger, u wont stand a chance either cause their sustain is way better.

And in addition to wat. We only have very little access to regeneration.

And even if you try to make a tanky, regeneration bunker build. With chilling victory you get 5% lf per 10 seconds as well in addition to might.And somehow, you want to kill your enemy right?

Hey Nimon it's possible that Crinn is playing in a different tier; I'm usually Plat 1/2 and will finish this season in the top 100, maybe top 50. Fights do tend to end more quickly at lower tiers due to people not understanding how to kite and sustain themselves. At my level, I use Flesh Wurm to avoid big bursts, which gives me extra room for kiting (and subsequently LF generation from GS). Soul Eater is super useful because it's passive; if someone is chasing me then I can kite for a while, surprise them by turning around and hitting them with GS 3 or planting GS 4, then go into shroud and burst them. You are correct that power necro is all about the burst, it doesn't have great sustained dps.

If you're finding that fights are burst or be bursted and that they end quickly (with you dying) then frankly you should start being more cowardly. Kite. A lot. My primary builds this season are Meditrapper and Power Rev, and I can tell you I'm seeing a LOT of bad scourges, who are tankier than power necro. I can kill them easy cuz they just pop AoE and assume I can't kill them (incorrect). In the situation that I'm pressuring them, what they SHOULD be doing is kite up onto non-teleport spots and force me to walk to them... but they don't. Your two best sources of sustain as a necro are high lifeforce and strong kiting skills. Other stuff like Spectral Armor are just gravy.

Well. In wvw i can kill any scourge easily with my reaper.But i didnt get to find the right build that works fine for me in pvp yet.And if you tell your teammates, that youre not a scourge...Well they will just ignore you.To add that enemys always will focus the necro.

Yesterday i had some awesome matches where i got almost spawncamped by enemy thief and mesmer.I was the only necro in my team.

But there wasnt any support of my mates. Well i know why i almost dont play pvp. And instead roam a lot.But there its almost impossible to kite anyone as a necromancer.Sure you can juke and surprise enemys with fleshworm and spectral walk. But the problem is, that all other classes have more movement abilities than necro has, with a lower cooldown. Esp. All these teleport like thief steal or the shiro thing or guard or what so ever that all dont require LoS.Not to mention, that fleshworm and spectral walk will take away a place for condiremoval.Not to mention that wells suck in wvw roaming

Archived