extra bad match making

Mogar.9216

I felt sorry for some people on my team last night, ranting and raving about dropping out of the top 50 and top 30, losing 24+ rating while I only lost 5.... Very fun game but I'm only mid Gold that had decayed into Silver.

Close game though, 419-500 with a double beast kill winning it, using the conditionless war build in my sig against 2 scourges, 2 firebrands and a warrior.

I agree the current PVP match making MMR algorithm sucks. I don't think that the algorithm is balancing skill so much as forcing players to have a 50/50 win/loss ratio. After a few wins, I often find myself on a team with all noobs as if Arena Net seeks to force me to lose - while the other team has seasoned players. At the start of game you see the teammates with starter gear and weapons and you think I hope that player isn't a complete noob; 90% of the time they are. When you see your avatar standing next to 3-4 basic gear players you can bet that you are screwed, because the other team will be full of vets. Likely the vets are those who have been on a losing streak and its their turn to win. I prefer the old random match-ups, at least that way the loss didn't feel forced on me by unfair matchmaking. With random it was fun, my new builds and tactics are what contributed to team wins. Now, neither the wins or losses are mine. The MMR rarely gives me a good match; just an excessive number of unskilled players to butcher on the other team or carry on mine.

It's not just MMR the circlequest map game mode is just too complex for simple minded pugs. Instead of the simplicity of gw1 pvp and TDM we have a joke pvp where coordination and speed mean more then skill. Even with great 1v1 pugs on your team if you have no speed or lack of running to the little circles on the ground you lose badly. The whole ranked system is bad from the game mode to who is placed with who to now allowing hackers, botters and wintraders to raom freely in pvp. Sadly that's why most actual pvpers have left ranked or unranked or other games with pvp.

@"Ziggityzog.7389" said:Instead of the simplicity of gw1 pvp and TDM we have a joke pvp where coordination and speed mean more then skill.

To be honest, team death match is just as bad if not worse.

Do you...even remember gw1 RA? If you didn't get a monk on your team it was /resign /afk immediately...nearly every match. If you had a monk it was almost a guaranteed win against players that didn't have a monk. It was only ever fun when both teams had good monks...which enabled people to actually survive more than 30 seconds.

Now what was extremely fun was Hall of Hero's, especially after the first couple TDM matches. It introduced game modes that were pretty cool. They had conquest, King of the Hill, capture the flag and mixtures of all three. They had even, stronghold type, albeit much simpler then gw2's. GVG was mainly stronghold, but much more elaborate, which in my opinion made it more fun.

I'm not saying more elaborate = more fun, but typically, gw1 pvp was extremely well designed. I get a good larf when people suggest things like "Codex arena for gw2" which is funny because codex arena was literally the worst game-mode that killed the pvp for gw1 in the first place.

Archived