Easiest profession to pick up for pvp?

El Psy Congroo.7965

I've been away from the game for a long time, and I've always only played Thief.I want to try out some new professions, but there's a lot of them now (if you count elite specs as profs).I obviously don't want to start with something very complicated, so what would you guys recommend to a not-so-almost-kind-of-noob?(I have both expansions).

Base Hammer Guard or GS/D+Sh Spellbreaker would be good choices. Pretty forgiving and lots of winning 1v1s, good at going to virtually any node, good matchups against a lot of things, etc. Spellbreaker is tankier as you are quite literally unkillable for a minimum of 15 seconds if you press your buttons (endure pain, passive endure pain, full counter, greatsword 3 evade, 2 dodges and shield block) but base hammer guard basically just mashes the 2 key with a really easy to execute burst combo (focus 5, weapon swap, f1+judgement intervention while hammer 2 is going off for potential 15k+ bursts) at the sacrifice of slightly less damage avoidance and some worse matchups than Warrior.

Something like Necro you may succeed on despite being mediocre as it's extremely punishing to people who mess up, even if the necro player is really bad. But you're also relied on for teamfights and need to rely on self-sustain and positioning sometimes (or another player) which makes it less than ideal for a newer player.

Honorary mention to power mirage who has an extremely easy burst combo and escapes with extreme dodge and mobility. But you'll need to rotate more than a guard or warrior who can AFK on far.

Mesmer is a hard class to pick up. "What are these pinks function skills? Why are my skills so... WEIRD AND what do they do??? CLONES??? Argh..."

I highly recommend Spellbreaker. Extremely easy class, just know the skills you have on. Requires not a lot of memorization of skills and is littered with passive traits, making it noob-friendly.

Scourge is, contrary to popular belief, not easy to play. You definitely need to know tips and tricks, and memorization of skills/traits to use it properly.

Several builds are pretty easy:

• Scourge is basically braindead.
  • Current druid bunker requires virtually no skill with ranger to use effectively.
  • Meditrapper is easy, but requires a little more experience to use to full effectiveness.
  • Holosmith does a lot of damage with ease, being able to survive for longer than 10 seconds in a teamfight requires experience.

Trap DH (Meditrapper or variant) is very good to start. Easy to play and effective. If you are a tactician and know well how to play PvP i say a P/P +1 deadeye is also a good pick. You need the map awareness and mobility but not a perfect manual 1:1 skill. It´s only bad if you don´t know/anticipate when to disengage. Ah and you need to watch for reflection ;-).

Macro is allowed but depend on how you set it up, in the end you can only set to one key per action/skill as per one-to-one policy. If they set multiple actions to one key then you can report them, however some players do set individual keys but only closer to their hands/next key to get some biomechanical benefits (multiple mouse keys), that ANet can't really do much.

New players would probably get confused by clone/phantasm difference at first to maximize damage so I probably wouldn't recommend unless at least silver. Lots of silly mistake like shatter with no clone or randomly burning defenses/dodges. Mirage does made it a lot easier to survive though.

Other one would be druid and spellbreaker, those two metabuilds are designed to survive 1v1. It is pretty easy for druid to sustain with druidic clarity/celestial shadow combo while pet chip away glass player's health. On the other hand spellbreaker with well traited full counter is very easy to pick up, just need to work on some kiting ability with GS and you should be able to survive as new player and get out of bad situations.

Archived