@ArenaNet, when does the MM start looking beyond your rating for a match?

Chilli.2976

@Chilli.2976 said:

@Ryan.9387 said:The matchmaking algo is posted on one of the gw2 wiki pages.

I don't see what I am looking for, I want the time.

Its not as straightforward as you make it seem but to put it in simple terms ,and this is purely based on how i interpreted the mm wiki page ,the MM starts declining after 5mins but it will stop declining after 10mins therefore it sounds to me as if the timewindow between the 5th and the 10th minute is the moment to get out of the q

@"JusticeRetroHunter.7684" yes this is true but the way that this gradually worsening of MM works is by adding so called "padding" into the algorythm .This padding starts getting added after 5mins in queue and stops getting added after being 10mins in queue so unless i'm interpreting their wiki definitions wrong it seems that if you are in fear for a bad game you either have to exit queue before 5mins or after 10 .But even if you take a million precautionary measurements to preserve your rating/matchquality im afraid that no matter what you do ,you still will have the odds of trash MM (as this has been proven over and over again in the past)

@"RoCkEt LaUnChEr.5893" said:@"JusticeRetroHunter.7684" yes this is true but the way that this gradually worsening of MM works is by adding so called "padding" into the algorythm .This padding starts getting added after 5mins in queue and stops getting added after being 10mins in queue so unless i'm interpreting their wiki definitions wrong it seems that if you are in fear for a bad game you either have to exit queue before 5mins or after 10 .But even if you take a million precautionary measurements to preserve your rating/matchquality im afraid that no matter what you do ,you still will have the odds of trash MM (as this has been proven over and over again in the past)

Ya, but that's the thing. You don't have to be in a que for 5 minutes to experience the effects of padding. If there are 9 other players waiting for a match (for a long time) and your the 10th person that just qued, because the matchmaker will ping the server every 30 seconds to generate a match, and give you a que pop, it will land you in that team of 9 players. When you extrapolate this to a larger population of people, it's impossible to really determine how much or how little your matches have been padded based on the que time.

Arena name="Ranked ArenaQueueRosterSize min="1" max="2"Iteration interval="30s" rosters="100" limit="250ms"Potentials min="20" max="500" falloff="0.375" start="1m" end="3m"Rating start="5m" end="10m" max="1200" min="25"Power curve="1" percent="1"Rank min="20"Queue

Filter/Rating/@padding Padding is added every second you wait in the queue after Filter/Rating/@start has passed. This is an outlier fail-safe to ensure everyone gets a match.Filter/Rating/@start No padding is added to a roster's ratings range until this length of time has passed.Filter/Rating/@end No additional padding will be added after this length of time has passed. This is a fail-safe to prevent match quality from degrading further than preferred.

this is copy pasted from the wiki page on the mm algorythm ,I could very well interprete this info shown here in a wrong way but the way i read this info makes me think that my initial conclusion is infact correct but feel free to explain why i would be wrong and what the correct way of interpreting is than ?

@"RoCkEt LaUnChEr.5893" said:this is copy pasted from the wiki page on the mm algorythm ,I could very well interprete this info shown here in a wrong way but the way i read this info makes me think that my initial conclusion is infact correct but feel free to explain why i would be wrong and what the correct way of interpreting is than ?

so ya, to explain why you're misinterpreting it, it's because you need to look at the following;

Iteration interval="30s" rosters="100" limit="250ms"

The iteration interval is based on the Global server time. Every 30 seconds on the server, it will ping the matchmaker to generate matches. the roster size is the amount of players that the algo has to play with. What the algo does is create different combinations of players and tries to get them into teams, that have to pass a certain set of criteria before giving the GOOD to GO on the next server ping. The limit isn't really that important here, but i'm sure it has to do with making sure that the server is pinging the matchmaker.

So ya, because of this it's near impossible to tell when to que dodge. The padding happens for everyone currently in the que after them being qued for 5 minutes. like i mentioned in my previous post, if there are 9 players that have been waiting for 10 minutes, and are set for a game that just needs on more player of a certain criteria, if you are that player, and you que, you essentially give the Matchmaker the GOOD to GO, and you can't tell if you are in a padded match or not (which you are because those 9 players have been waiting for 10 minutes).

Archived