Needing advice

Bobert.7458

So i have a spellbreaker, firebrand and crono all at 80. Ive started doing fractals and i do a little pvp for the dailies. My issue is..so far, my classes just dont seem to do it in pvp or pve. Im either getting recked or i cant do the same numbers dps wise like i should be. So i was thinking of trying to lvl one more profession before either sticking with something...or giving up all together. So with that being said...are there any other professions that you folks would recommend?

As far as dps numbers are concerned, spellbreaker does decent damage, chronomancer is a bit lower but received damage buffs in the last patch, while firebrand is one of the top pve damage dealers. I would look at your gear stat choices and possibly even weapon choices, trait selections and/or skill rotation to find why you arent getting the results you want. You may be doing all the above correct, I'm just saying there are multiple factors that contribute to dps numbers.

As far as getting wrecked, this I'm going ot believe is more about skill and learning when to dodge/use defensive abilities since in pve or pvp , either one, majority of professions do w/o defensive stats (example, marauder, or berserker being popular choices).

I would look at metabattle or comparable sites for detailed guidance. If I HAD to recommend another profession in addition to the 3 youve mentioned, I would say Elementalist.

Hopefully you can find the problem and get it sorted out.

@Yamazuki.6073 said:How well you perform with a given profession will depend on the traits, gear, sigils/runes, etc. You would have to first figure out how you want to play as a dps, then look at which professions fit that.

I can play as range or melee...as far as builds go im using the builds i found on snowscrows...granted idk how to get the ascended gear atm i have gotten the stats i need more or less from gear i bought from tp..ive gone broke getting each of the 3 the right stats...i have rotations down...lol well atleast i think i do. So im not sure why i just feel i get demolished in everthing i do...

From your posts, it looks like you are trying to find one character that will work for at least PvE and PvP, correct? Even if using a single character, you will have to trait and probably gear them completely differently to be successful in each of the game modes. Are you open to trying other elite specializations for these 3 professions?

For PvE, the warrior (power Spellbreaker or condi Berserker), guardian (Dragonhunter or Firebrand), and mesmer (Chrono or Mirage) are wanted in high level end game content (i.e. T4 fractals and raids) if that is your goal. Note that the Chrono typically plays as a tank/support class here and warrior is often saddled with banners. The SC builds are a good place to start, but unless you are in a team that is all running the SC meta builds (so that you get all the team boons and buffs), you may find that the builds don't perform as well and will need to be modified to be more self sufficient. Actually unless you are on a team that is experienced and all running the meta builds/strategies, you won't realistically be able to reach the same numbers in the SC benchmarks for PvE, but this is usually not a problem because you really don't need benchmark level DPS to complete almost all (if not all) of the encounters in GW2.

I don't PvP and have no first hand experience, but from reading the PvP forums I see that Spellbreaker, Firebrand, and Mirage are mentioned often as being OP by other players and should be nerfed. To be fair however, the PvP forum is full of people claiming that a spec is OP and should be nerfed for pretty much all of the specs. Also keep in mind that there is a huge PvP rebalancing patch coming out soon which will likely shake things up substantially from how it is currently.

I'd suggest figuring out which profession of the 3 you have you like the mechanics and play style of more, practice the rotations, and learn the encounters. If you don't like the play style of the 3 professions you already have, then it's time to look for another.

No reason to give up as long as you are having fun. The game offers a lot of options for play styles and I think you will be able to find something that works for you. I have a six level 80 professions characters (with the elites unlocked) and they all play differently. Good luck!

@Bobert.7458 said:

@"Yamazuki.6073" said:How well you perform with a given profession will depend on the traits, gear, sigils/runes, etc. You would have to first figure out how you want to play as a dps, then look at which professions fit that.

I can play as range or melee...as far as builds go im using the builds i found on snowscrows...granted idk how to get the ascended gear atm i have gotten the stats i need more or less from gear i bought from tp..ive gone broke getting each of the 3 the right stats...i have rotations down...lol well atleast i think i do. So im not sure why i just feel i get demolished in everthing i do...

You would need some time to practice. Also, you can't compare your dps to the numbers they show. That dps is only achievable when your group is providing all the buffs they used in testing. Even if you played perfectly you won't reach those numbers unless your group does too, and dps in fractals will by nature be lower due to how fractal boss fights are setup.

As for getting ascended gear, there's multiple ways of getting ascended gear. You can get them through the fractal merchants with some crafting, they can be randomly dropped from the open world/fractals (rare), or crafted normally with time-gated crafting. If you want to skip time gating you can just get Berserker (or any core stat) ascended armor crafting design from the laurel merchant and buy the Insignia off the trading post for ~45-55g each then swap the stats in the Mystic Forge to what ever you want. Some weapons can be earned from doing the Elite specialization collections for Heart of thorns or Path of fire.

Jewelry can be obtained easily from fractals as drops, merchants, you can get them from the living world season 2 maps rather easily too (it's where I get all mine).

The wiki has information on what is needed to craft everything and where everything can be obtained and what can be traded and what can't be. Then there's GW2 Efficiency that can be used as a "shopping list" for what you're crafting.

Well i appreciate all the words of wisdom guys...after some tinkering around and practising. Ive decided to stick with my crono...im currently using the dps crono build using dual sword and sword focus..it just looks the best and im really doing good on it.

Archived