How do the zergs work?

Sephollos.4829

I'm new to WvW, and I'm trying to figure out what the heck is going on and how to contribute! I don't mean as much with respect to the mechanics, but moreso how the zergs and battles work.

I've been seeing a lot of zerg-on-zerg fights, and they make no sense to me. The enemy zerg runs around with a bunch of pulsing red circles under their feet, and they basically walk ontop of you until you die. The friendly zergs seem to do the same. I can't even tell if anyone is using a skill or what, because it looks like people are just running around with red circles under their feet and not actually casting anything. It also doesn't even look like anyone's fighting...it just seems to be who can put their red circles on the enemy before the enemy puts red circles on you.

I play a spellbreaker, but I can't figure out how to do anything productive. If I get within melee range of anything in these fights, I die instantly (even while blocking apparently). If I stay back, I can't attack or do anything useful other than watch.

If you're watching organized groups they have condition cleanses and healing firing off so that can run around those circles, and probably also on teamspeak so all the communication is happening there. Generally you don't want to be in circle for long, bad commanders will do so and get their zergs wiped, players also need to pay attention and know when they can go into red circles or not. Positioning is very important in wvw. You will have to keep an eye out for skill animations, on players not really possible with a zerg, so you'll have to see what type of aoes are dropping from their animation like meteor wells or shades etc.

As a spellbreaker your job for a zerg is basically get your bubble on the enemy group, warriors have traits and skills to help survive damage periods to do this. Other than that warriors are basically better off in roaming and small group situations.

a vs b

phase 1 buffs

a and b buffs up - speed, might, damage reduce, retal, resist barrier

phase 2 fightthey push to hit each other with ae big and small - cor phase smash drop the hammer lava fonts sand wells meteors mighty blow etc and 111s

targets on com call frontline midline or backline

phase 3 recovercleansing, healing, and return to phase 1 then 2.

1. composition
  2. position
  3. timing (hit them when they just unloaded - really nice after bait)
  4. chokepoints
  5. never squirel

=)

sample fights at tier 4

assume fights increase as tier increases.

Most zergs rely on pure numbers to overcome, which is why blobbing exists. Some groups run 15-20 people and actually communicate and plan shit out, wait for opponents to be in chokes, set up bursts, feign-burst to burn cooldowns, etc.

If you're playing in a zerg larger than 25 people or so, you're part of what's wrong with WvW.

As a spellbreaker, I imagine it is too hard to do anything in a zerg v zerg fight without an organized group on comms.For starters, try running in smaller groups first. Learn your class really well. Every aspect of it. Learn how to put down your dmg quickly and get out alive. etc...Alternatively, try a more "newb friendly" class for zergs.

As for red circles. Those usually mean death. Do your best to walk around them or to dodge roll through them. The pulsating ones are from scourges. Those are indeed an eyesore, but you need to watch out for those as they can cc and dmg quite a bit.

Run around with commanders, see if you find any guild groups running and if like what they do, ask em to join the guild. Most guilds will always welcome new members (but will most likely have requirements like being on voice comms and using guild builds).

Wvw is generally so much better with a group of people on voice comms.

Best thing you can do for the zerg as a Spellbreaker is lay down a good bubble (Winds of Disenchantment). That takes good timing, positioning, and understanding of how a zerg will move though...so it will be a learning curve for you. Secondly as a melee Warrior you really have to play around your cooldowns. Try to get some damage and CC going while your defensive abilities are up, then disengage before you get collapsed on. Greatsword is key IMO for the mobility. The 3 skill is amazing for mobility as it is an evade and allows you to move a very far distance. It also will ignore Immobilizes if you are using Warrior's Sprint (which you definitely should be using). 5 skill can also be used to disengage but make sure you turn off auto-targeting, or you'll run back into their whole zerg.

Other than that, try not to get frustrated. You will die a lot in WvW - even people who have been playing for years do. I have seen new players get really down on themselves because of this but you just have to learn what you can and try to position yourself better. Try to join voice comms if your commander is advertising theirs. Knowing what the tag is going to do a second or two earlier helps immensely, especially if you haven't grasped how zergs move yet. Most commanders I've come across are very happy just to have you join their voice comms because it helps everyone play better. You won't really have to say anything if you don't want to. I suppose that last part depends on the server and the group, but generally it's true for casual open raids.

How do zergs work, you ask?"Zerg left!""Zerg right!""Zerg up the middle!""Zerg turn around!""RUN!"Rinse... repeat..."STACK and save the commander!""Zerg left!""Zerg right!""Zerg up the middle!""Zerg turn around!""RUN!"Rinse... repeat..."STACK and save the commander!""BUILD!"

In other words. without some kind of game mechanic to prevent players from occupying the same space, WvW isn't really PvP. Not even considering the various cheats that are always being used, between the imbalances in the various classes and the one-shot kills, WvW isn't a very satisfying experience.However, you can obtain your hero points in WvW which removes some of the headaches in HoT and PoF... that at least is worthwhile. And you can get a lot of junk you can salvage for crafting materials.I'm not a fan... I hate zergs because they're brainless.

@SWI.4127 said:Best thing you can do for the zerg as a Spellbreaker is lay down a good bubble (Winds of Disenchantment). That takes good timing, positioning, and understanding of how a zerg will move though...so it will be a learning curve for you. Secondly as a melee Warrior you really have to play around your cooldowns. Try to get some damage and CC going while your defensive abilities are up, then disengage before you get collapsed on. Greatsword is key IMO for the mobility. The 3 skill is amazing for mobility as it is an evade and allows you to move a very far distance. It also will ignore Immobilizes if you are using Warrior's Sprint (which you definitely should be using). 5 skill can also be used to disengage but make sure you turn off auto-targeting, or you'll run back into their whole zerg.

Other than that, try not to get frustrated. You will die a lot in WvW - even people who have been playing for years do. I have seen new players get really down on themselves because of this but you just have to learn what you can and try to position yourself better. Try to join voice comms if your commander is advertising theirs. Knowing what the tag is going to do a second or two earlier helps immensely, especially if you haven't grasped how zergs move yet. Most commanders I've come across are very happy just to have you join their voice comms because it helps everyone play better. You won't really have to say anything if you don't want to. I suppose that last part depends on the server and the group, but generally it's true for casual open raids.

^^This.

Once you get more experience you'll realize where you need to be and can split off from the commander to pop your Winds of Disenchantment right before your group hits. Mid/backline tends to be the best place, which is arguably the most dangerous to get to. Keep in mind your bubble (WoD) can also be use defensively as it stops projectiles. Save your greatsword 3 to disengage while damaging opponents. A good warrior bubble and their cleave on downs can many times be a deciding factor in a fight, so you definitely have a role to play.

Archived