PvP System - Do you like it or am I stuck in the past?

Matiu.5703

I know that it has been discussed a lot and probably I missed it.I'm a long time player that came back after leaving for personal stuff the game just after HoT expansion and came back few months ago.I restarted to play what I like the most, pvp and bought both HoT and PoF and, day by day, I got familiar with the new metas, build, specs and everything.I'm not going to complain about the new metas and the balance because, although there are few questions, it's enjoyable.The problem is the ranked system and the divisions. This is my first season of pvp and I did more than 500 matches. Nothing special. I was "good" when a left and I'm "good" now, I have fun and there are not problems vs the other. I win almost every 1v1, I used to play with 4 friends on Teamspeak on "hight standards" when there were no leagues, seasons, titles and tournaments, but I learned the mechanics of pvp.The problems are the teammates. Playing with 4 pugs is just frustrating. I try to explain them how to rotate, how to +1, why and when trying to kite and disengage, stomp or cleave the downed, but it is useless and worthless and it leads to flames every match. I'm playing with people that can barely call a target... Insultes, people going afk, people mocking you, I'm stuck up and down the gold tier and can't climb the ladder: I can get 10 wins in a row, then 10 losses. And it's not my ability that disappears, it just depends on "who will your teammate be today?". It's frustrating being unable to get over this part, hoping that in upper tiers it would be better. But I see that in the first positions of the ladder there are only people with, example, 20 wins 4 loss. Isn't that the system is pushing people out of ranked and only to tournament? Is the system good enough to make the pvp enjoyable without being forced to do tournaments?Do you have any suggestions? Because I'm really regretting the old ranked/unranked system, when you could make team with your friends whenever you wanted to, or with your guild. Because of the max 2 in ranked, everyone I know goes solo or IN 5 IN UNRANKED vs people who are trying to learn the build! It is absurd! And yes, there are the AT's, but not everybody has 4 good friends online at the same time, due to real life duties. Is it just me or this system is far from enjoyable?

Sorry for my bad english, it is not my first lenguage. The post is not to do polemic but I really would like to know your opinion and if there is something I could do to enjoy the pvp again, because I really want to play but everyday I end frustrated because of the idiots I find.

Thanks, I hope a good discussion can start.

TLDR; Wish they'd bring back 5 man ranked q because pugs are lame and it's hard to climb ranks solo. Wadda you think?

I agree. Ranked should be team based. But it's an unpopular opinion because solo players hate getting roflstomped by organised teams and refuse to organise themselves to stand a chance. Majority of this game is casuals, so we give the masses what they want. Which is actually a clown fiesta.

@Whitworth.7259 said:TLDR; Wish they'd bring back 5 man ranked q because pugs are lame and it's hard to climb ranks solo. Wadda you think?

I agree. Ranked should be team based. But it's an unpopular opinion because solo players hate getting roflstomped by organised teams and refuse to organise themselves to stand a chance. Majority of this game is casuals, so we give the masses what they want. Which is actually a clown fiesta.

This has been discussed so many times on past post why 5 man teams was bad & removed. & why it's is bad to bring it back for pvp. I wish ppl get informed before continuously posting to bring it back.

@Whitworth.7259 said:Ranked should be team based. But it's an unpopular opinion because solo players hate getting roflstomped by organised teams and refuse to organise themselves to stand a chance. Majority of this game is casuals, so we give the masses what they want. Which is actually a clown fiesta.

Actually, returning team play to ranked isn't that unpopular.

@Vieux P.1238 said:

@Whitworth.7259 said:TLDR; Wish they'd bring back 5 man ranked q because pugs are lame and it's hard to climb ranks solo. Wadda you think?

This has been discussed so many times on past post why 5 man teams was bad & removed. & why it's is bad to bring it back for pvp. I wish ppl get informed before continuously posting to bring it back.

Thank you for your support to the conversation. I see many discussing about scourge, do they bother you too? I asked about your thoughts and advices for me to enjoy something that is clearly losing popularity and probably has a problem so yes, I think is fair to talk about it again.And I'm not talking only about 5 men team.If it is a problem for you, pass over. If it is a problem for the community, I'm sure my thread will be closed :)

@Matiu.5703 said:

@"Whitworth.7259" said:TLDR; Wish they'd bring back 5 man ranked q because pugs are lame and it's hard to climb ranks solo. Wadda you think?

Thank you for your support to the conversation. I see many discussing about scourge, do they bother you too? I asked about your thoughts and advices for me to enjoy something that is clearly losing popularity and probably has a problem so yes, I think is fair to talk about it again.And I'm not talking only about 5 men team.If it is a problem for you, pass over. If it is a problem for the community, I'm sure my thread will be closed :)

TLDR on why 5 man was killed is because of match stacking and win trading. It still happens, but were aren't allowed to talk about it so no one does. Try reddit for this as anet can't control there. As far as scourge is concerned these days, their huge red circles are my only problem. I love that they got a tell, but they are so much visual noises I can't see other crap attacking me any more. Their actual damage is about right, and their stuff IS line of sight, which people don't seem to realize since the circle seems to indicate you are going to die, but won't actually if you LoS them. MOST classes can dual a scourge when on similar skill levels (assuming you aren't crap, as scourge is so easy) but once you are at I'd probably say plat1 or 2, the scourge problem is gone. The big problem with them in the low end is that people don't know how to fight them and not die. You'll 3v2 a sourge firebrand and should just happily walk away and outnumber the other nodes. Scourge and firebrand are slow, and die when separated, and can't out rotate you, so just let them sit and rot on mid all game. Without firebrand around, ranged pressure from a mesmer, ranger, F/A ele, many classes in fact, can global them and as long as your team has the brains to actually finish the body (most don't gold and below) then it's no big deal. At first glance, scourge seems unbeatable, but just step back, and play around them, and you have no problems. It's actually good for the game as it makes sure ranged power players will continue to exist as they need taken care of, and that's the best way. If I can clarify for you any more, or you need examples, just ask, and please don't listen to the people screaming "TOO OP" as they want to win without any effort.

@thatdarnkatz.7168 said:

@"Whitworth.7259" said:TLDR; Wish they'd bring back 5 man ranked q because pugs are lame and it's hard to climb ranks solo. Wadda you think?

TLDR on why 5 man was killed is because of match stacking and win trading. It still happens, but were aren't allowed to talk about it so no one does. Try reddit for this as anet can't control there. As far as scourge is concerned these days, their huge red circles are my only problem. I love that they got a tell, but they are so much visual noises I can't see other crap attacking me any more. Their actual damage is about right, and their stuff IS line of sight, which people don't seem to realize since the circle seems to indicate you are going to die, but won't actually if you LoS them. MOST classes can dual a scourge when on similar skill levels (assuming you aren't crap, as scourge is so easy) but once you are at I'd probably say plat1 or 2, the scourge problem is gone. The big problem with them in the low end is that people don't know how to fight them and not die. You'll 3v2 a sourge firebrand and should just happily walk away and outnumber the other nodes. Scourge and firebrand are slow, and die when separated, and can't out rotate you, so just let them sit and rot on mid all game. Without firebrand around, ranged pressure from a mesmer, ranger, F/A ele, many classes in fact, can global them and as long as your team has the brains to actually finish the body (most don't gold and below) then it's no big deal. At first glance, scourge seems unbeatable, but just step back, and play around them, and you have no problems. It's actually good for the game as it makes sure ranged power players will continue to exist as they need taken care of, and that's the best way. If I can clarify for you any more, or you need examples, just ask, and please don't listen to the people screaming "TOO OP" as they want to win without any effort.

The scrouge fact was mentioned only as example of something that "has been discussed yet gne gne gne I wish bla bla bla". It was not my intention to denigrate who has problems with them, because I'm not happy of them too.

The purpose of the thread was to talk about ranked pvp in general and the CLEAR FACT that is pushing "pro" players away from it, in favor of casual players. Not only because of the max 2 queue but for the shitty environment that generates, with people afk and insulting after the first fight for mid because "noob team afk".

IMHO ranked should be for pro and organized players, unranked for the casuals/I don't care too much. This system clearly is toxic for whoever wants to play it to a minimum level without being forced to do AT's with pugs anyway and get rekt because not everyone can find 4 good friend online together perfect timed with the tournament.

Solo-q ranking is flawed by design. It cannot lead to an enjoyable experience.

They need to make 5-man conquest maps premade teams only (with GREAT rewards) and then need to make solo-q more fun and interesting and with as many new game modes as they can afford to make (it shouldn't be conquest arena, but instead a random battleground mode ... ideally with maps with 8v8 or 10v10 or 15v15).

Their current system as almost EVERYTHING working against it.

Archived