Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

2 minutes ago, Depths.4051 said:

It was this thread that confused me https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/120919-yes-you-can-link-your-anet-account-to-steam-and-its-really-easy/

The final comment is about the thread being misleading, and the thread was locked so I didn't read into it further and assumed it was false. 

The comment probably doesn't mean the whole thread or the OP, but the discussion that followed probably was unnecessarily obtuse and misleading.

All -provider Portal does is basically change how you log in from the default Steam account to Anet account.

It doesn't "link" anything to Steam, that part was probably misleading.

You're just using the Steam install as you would a normal Anet install, nothing more, nothing less.

So that means, you can't buy expansions and addons from Steam becuase your accounts are NOT linked, you're just using your Anet account. Meaning, any purchases will have to be made directly from Anet.

Just treat it as you would a non-steam install that happens to run on Steam.

Be aware that you still are technically able to purchase anything on Steam, but that will be bought for your Steam account, not your Anet account. Treat those as different things and just remember to buy from Anet, not Steam.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Depths.4051 said:

Its-Working!

As usual, too late. I see they have already helped you. I'll just add from myself that you can experiment once you feel more confident. Different versions of proton - Steam beta or regular. You can find everything in our earlier posts. Just remember that everything depends on your hardware.

My hardware I play on: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, Asus RX 6600 16GB ram

ENABLE_VKBASALT=1 RADV_PERFTEST=gpl RADV_PERFTEST=nggc DXVK_ASYNC=1 gamemoderun %command% -provider Portal

gamemode and vkbasalt must be installed before use.

6 hours ago, DETOX.6098 said:

RADV_PERFTEST=gpl RADV_PERFTEST=nggc DXVK_ASYNC=1

It's either DXVK_ASYNC or RADV_PREFTEST. DYVK_ASYNC was removed from Protons 7.50 and up and replaced with RADV_PREFTEST=gpl and only on some chips. I can't use it. But i also think DXVK_ASYNC was made baseline, so you don't really have to write it i if you use 7.50 and up. PREFTEST does something a bit different. But it won't work below on earlier protons.

I mean, nothing bad will happen, just nothing will happen.

And you can consolidate it like zistenz said.

PSA to anyone else using launch options:

-provider Portal goes AFTER %command%

The order is:

system options (gamemode, mangohud, DXVK_ASYNC etc.) %command% -game options

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DETOX.6098 said:

Have you noticed that on some versions of proton the game screen is darker? It's as if it doesn't maintain the same brightness.

Which ones? I only really ever tried Experimental, 7.43 and 7.53 protons and they all looked the same to me.

1 minute ago, DETOX.6098 said:

Between the two, I saw that the screen was darker. But that could also be a difference in hardware handling.

Could be. I don't really know, i just use whatever works lol. 😄

You can check the release notes of the Protons to see if they changed something to make this happen.

• Like 1

Since last Debian update my PC was getting wayyyy too slow and the SDD way hot, so I made a bold move...

I install Arch but I keep the /home from Debian, everything went pretty smooth, but today I was installing steam but it didn't use the old installation so now I have 2 steam installations and 2 GW2 installations, the problem is that I can't find the old installation, now my SDD has 5GB left =(, I need a way to find the old installation.

In Arch I was sing fdupes to search for duplicate files, it did find a few files but no GW2.exe.

/home/user/.steam
Thank you.

4 hours ago, Tanker.9802 said:

Since last Debian update my PC was getting wayyyy too slow and the SDD way hot, so I made a bold move...

I install Arch but I keep the /home from Debian, everything went pretty smooth, but today I was installing steam but it didn't use the old installation so now I have 2 steam installations and 2 GW2 installations, the problem is that I can't find the old installation, now my SDD has 5GB left =(, I need a way to find the old installation.

In Arch I was sing fdupes to search for duplicate files, it did find a few files but no GW2.exe.

/home/user/.steam
Thank you.

I have Arch, and Steam (and consequently GW2) installs itself in

/home/user/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Guild Wars 2

Try that.

2 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

I have Arch, and Steam (and consequently GW2) installs itself in

/home/user/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Guild Wars 2

Try that.

Find it, thank you.

Now I have another issue, seems to me related to the IPv6, not sure, some time ago in Debian I had a similar issue using composer to download updates or libraries, it start all good but then it just dropped to 1kb download, the problem was IPv6, so I disabled it and it all worked ok.
In debian is "easy" to disable IPv6, but in Arch... well, I only have 3 days on it.
For me is like driving sport tesla after many years of 70's truck... 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tanker.9802 said:

Find it, thank you.

Now I have another issue, seems to me related to the IPv6, not sure, some time ago in Debian I had a similar issue using composer to download updates or libraries, it start all good but then it just dropped to 1kb download, the problem was IPv6, so I disabled it and it all worked ok.
In debian is "easy" to disable IPv6, but in Arch... well, I only have 3 days on it.
For me is like driving sport tesla after many years of 70's truck... 

I'm afraid I can't be much help here, I never messed with my Internet connection, I have it wired, and it worked since the install just fine so I never needed to change anything. 

I don't even think my ISP even allows IPv6 at all so I might not even have it enabled, never really checked. 

However, arch has an amazing documentation. 

I'm sure you can find something on the arch wiki. 

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/IPv6#:~:text=To disable IPv6 in NetworkManager,Then click Save.

This is what the first Google search turned up. 

And I know, the cliche of linking the arch wiki, but it really does have everything in it, and I can't be of much help anyway cause I never needed to do that. 

So I hope it helps. 

Edited by Veprovina.4876

Well, after playing around with a new installation it seems that by using my old /home partition, Arch didn't like that, so it toke me about 3hr or so looking what is was in there, removing re-installing and what not... 

After a full download of Steam(proton 8)+ GW2 I can say that it runs better than in Debian or Nobara.

Hight settings I was getting 15 to 30ish-fps not more no less. some areas with a few player 60ish fps
Mid settings, 30 - 50ish fps stable. some areas with a few player 70fps
low setting, 40-70ish fps stable. some areas few player 80fps

In a few areas I was getting 100-120fps but just for a few seconds not stable.

I'm using a combination of low and high settings, getting around 20-60fps

So far I'm pretty happy, now I'm able to see the disco ball some players have lol.

ps. Haven't find a solution for the download at the launcher screen, soon as it get 0kb download I have to close it and re-open it.

Edited by Tanker.9802
typos
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tanker.9802 said:

ps. Haven't find a solution for the download at the launcher screen, soon as it get 0kb download I have to close it and re-open it.

That's a known issue related to Anet CDN and corrupted files in their servers. If you want to help Anet maybe you can submit a ticket to them and attach your log file after they email you. 

Edited by xAcid.9305
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, xAcid.9305 said:

That's a known issue related to Anet CDN and corrupted files in their servers. If you want to help Anet maybe you can submit a ticket to them and attach your log file after they email you. 

Didn't saw that post and because I had a similar issue with a different program and the problem got resolved by disabling the IPv6 I thought the problem can be solve the same way, that is why I was looking in to disabling the IPv6 in Arch but it turnout that Arch doesn't use IPv6 by default so it is always off...
Now by reading that post it make sense  of the issue, I have now changed my DNS resolver in my router, most user will do it on their PC's but since I have more equipment and I don't wanna do it one by one, I just do it on my router, I ran a little test on my laptop, everything went ok.
Thank you for showing me the post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kagukara.6743 said:

Is the /wiki command working for anyone, running GW2 via Steam? 

That command depends on how your web browser is set up, so I would make sure links launch properly from inside applications, such as right-clicking an image in Discord and selecting Open Link.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134

10 minutes ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

That command depends on how your web browser is set up, so I would make sure links launch properly from inside applications, such as right-clicking an image in Discord and selecting Open Link.

Yea, that all works. A while ago when the Chromium Embedded Framework wasn't live the /wiki command worked. Now it doesn't even with the flag -usecoherent. So I'm not sure why its no longer working for me.

5 minutes ago, Kagukara.6743 said:

Yea, that all works. A while ago when the Chromium Embedded Framework wasn't live the /wiki command worked. Now it doesn't even with the flag -usecoherent. So I'm not sure why its no longer working for me.

Oh, it could be Steam Beta.

46 minutes ago, Kagukara.6743 said:

Yes it was. Using Steam Beta the /wiki command brings the wiki up in the Steam Overlay instead of your browser.

To get it to use your browser instead of Steam's browser. For non-Steam games, disabling "Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game" in the games manage settings doesn't disable the overlay. So I had to disable it in the Steam settings. But it does work for Steam games.

Edited by Kagukara.6743

On 3/14/2023 at 1:49 AM, Veprovina.4876 said:

KDE seems to have some messed up locale settings lately. Some other programs are also giving me "unable to set locale" warnings or something like that (they work fine though).

Eh, they'll fix it i guess...

Did this ever get fixed for you? Mine's still in 12-hour mode :C

2 hours ago, Hell Nirvana.9045 said:

Did this ever get fixed for you? Mine's still in 12-hour mode :C

It did, yes. But i'm not on KDE anymore, i use Gnome now, and here it all worked fine.

KDE was extremely buggy and unstable, as well as SDDM which started crashing, and i just couldn't deal with it anymore. So whatever happened it probably had something to do with KDE.