Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

10 hours ago, Hell Nirvana.9045 said:

Or four? 😁

Unfortunately yes, usually depends on my mood and schedule 🙂

The good news though: The update is finally here and that includes a modern Wine version (6.10) and the newly released DXVK 1.9 (async patched).

Both Google Drive and HTTP direct links are now updated and working.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the recent announcement of upcoming DX11 support, I'm wondering what effects, if any, you folks are anticipating to Linux performance?

In particular, I'm just hoping there little/no chance of breaking support. Performance uplift would obviously be nice, but I'll just be happy if I can continue playing, with help from the amazing OP.

1 hour ago, sea.3851 said:

With the recent announcement of upcoming DX11 support, I'm wondering what effects, if any, you folks are anticipating to Linux performance?

In particular, I'm just hoping there little/no chance of breaking support. Performance uplift would obviously be nice, but I'll just be happy if I can continue playing, with help from the amazing OP.

dxvk works with dx10 and dx11

In fact that was the point of it originally before d9vk was rolled into the package.

Edited by Infusion.7149

On 4/2/2021 at 3:08 PM, Teichi.7295 said:

I have the same problem whenever game has high load. Read in a wow-board about similar problems. Seems some issue with wine misinterpreting auto-repeating keystrokes.Typing "xset r off" in a console to turn off system-wide keyboard auto-repeat was the only workaround i could find. Type "xset r on" to undo and get back your normal behavior.

Sorry for late reply to anyone who bothered to reply.

At that time I was testing GW2 under Lutris on GNOME and later by accident I've run it under Xfce and problem was gone (I had graphic desktop effects disabled in Lutris and GNOME Game Mode extension on). My guess is that the problem was related to GNOME utilizing GPU in it's Mutter compositor. Xfce and GW2 under Lutris play nicely.

But there's another thing: since the Dragon Bash release I'm having same camera issues I had on Windows before I've opted for doitsujin's dxvk. Camera often freezes while moving around and I had few client crashes. So, the question: has someone else observed this? I'm on lutris-5.7-11-x86_64 with DXVK 1.7.3L-03f11ba

Edited by insanelyapple.2870

20 minutes ago, Hell Nirvana.9045 said:

I've been getting exponentially more of these errors with the newest build
Exception: c0000005  
Memory at address ffffffff`ffffffff could not be read

Especially prone to happen in WvW.

When in WvW does it occur in large fights or even by yourself/small group?

Sometimes I get these errors too, they happen at random areas, even on the login screen. As of lately I haven't had any though.

In case you need, I've uploaded the old Wine 5.7 based version however it's running a slightly older version of DXVK too.

Links:

http://jrugia.com/wine_gw2_2.2.0_nvidia.tar.xz

http://jrugia.com/wine_gw2_2.2.0_intel_amd.tar.xz

If you think the old version runs better for you, I guess I can make a mini update with newer DXVK. 🙂

Edited by ArmoredVehicle.2849

On 7/15/2021 at 10:40 PM, ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

Today it seems to be happening constantly, even in small fights. I'm currently running repair, after getting the same error just by queueing to get back in in EotN.

Edited by Hell Nirvana.9045

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2021 at 2:42 PM, Opopanax.1803 said:

Hey All-

Will be rolling Linux out in the coming week or two.  Any distros that work best?  I'm leaning towards Fedora ATM.  Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Whatever you think suites you best. I, personally, like the Ubuntu-based Pop!_OS. Primarily because it is maintained by a Laptop/Desktop OEM (System76) and has a hefty focus on desktop users. That or Manjaro is pretty user-friendly as well

On 7/27/2021 at 11:35 PM, EagleDelta.4726 said:

Manjaro is pretty user-friendly as well

As user of said distro, I'd say it's more user-friendly than Arch it's based on. Maybe more intermediate when you compare it to current popular distros overall?

If you're coming to Linux or Unix without much experience or research, and just want something that does and will work, a rolling distro might not be the best place to start with. Unless you like getting hands-on with the system every now and then. Updates will require user intervention from time to time.

I am new in linux so idk what I am doing for the most part.
I tried changing the file limits exactly as shown on the video but "ulimits -Sn" always comes up as 1024 after the restart, any ideas about what am I doing wrong?

I've tried adding "session required pam_limits.so" into "/etc/pam.d/common-session" but still the same.

Edited by Blackbeard.6419

9 hours ago, Blackbeard.6419 said:

I am new in linux so idk what I am doing for the most part.
I tried changing the file limits exactly as shown on the video but "ulimits -Sn" always comes up as 1024 after the restart, any ideas about what am I doing wrong?

I've tried adding "session required pam_limits.so" into "/etc/pam.d/common-session" but still the same.

Can you please upload screenshots of the following 3 files:

/etc/systemd/system.conf
/etc/systemd/user.conf
/etc/security/limits.conf

9 hours ago, Blackbeard.6419 said:

Here they are -

system.conf -  https://i.imgur.com/CgQF7jG.png

user.conf - https://i.imgur.com/S7UOHqH.png

limits.conf - https://i.imgur.com/ciTjAZJ.png

Everything seems to be in order, I even double checked the entries with mine and they're the same.

Which distro are you using? I could try to install it into a virtual machine and see what's holding it.

3 hours ago, ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

Everything seems to be in order, I even double checked the entries with mine and they're the same.

Which distro are you using? I could try to install it into a virtual machine and see what's holding it.

I am currently using pop os. It seems to have fixed the issue after I reinstalled wine & DXVK, no idea how though.

Thank you.

Edited by Blackbeard.6419

Since no one mentioned it so far, I am wondering if anyone tried using FSR:

* I found a dedicated thread for FSR on gw2, but that one is aimed at windows. And they think it will not help performance. 

* On linux on the other hand I am wondering if it may help in improving performance :). 

* I read and saw videos that FSR is already implemented in a recent custom Proton version by Golrious Eggroll

I am not sure when will FSR be included in mainline wine, probably if someone wants it now, he/she has to build from source. 

Has any of you tried FSR on linux for gw2? 

On 7/15/2021 at 10:40 PM, ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

Sometimes I get these errors too, they happen at random areas, even on the login screen. As of lately I haven't had any though.

In case you need, I've uploaded the old Wine 5.7 based version however it's running a slightly older version of DXVK too.

Links:

http://jrugia.com/wine_gw2_2.2.0_nvidia.tar.xz

http://jrugia.com/wine_gw2_2.2.0_intel_amd.tar.xz

If you think the old version runs better for you, I guess I can make a mini update with newer DXVK. 🙂

Haven't had a single crash since I switched back. I'm gonna switch to the newer version again to see if the build was actually at fault, and not the Nvidia drivers and/or linux-firmware, both which I've received updates for since.

On 8/4/2021 at 3:20 PM, Barabeam.4638 said:

* I found a dedicated thread for FSR on gw2, but that one is aimed at windows. And they think it will not help performance. 

* On linux on the other hand I am wondering if it may help in improving performance :).

The thread's just someone requesting ArenaNet to have a native implementation. If that would happen, it'll most likely work through Wine out-of-the-box.

The performance gains would unlikely be significant, except on extremely weak GPUs, since the game is so CPU-bound for the most part. That'd apply to both Windows, and running the game via Wine.