Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

Is anyone having a lot of crashes these days while using ArcDPS? I play using Lutris and it's almost impossible for me these days to use it because the game crashes frequently. If I disable it, 0 crashes, but as long as I have it active, the game can crash at any moment.

7 hours ago, Minux.2416 said:

Is anyone having a lot of crashes these days while using ArcDPS? I play using Lutris and it's almost impossible for me these days to use it because the game crashes frequently. If I disable it, 0 crashes, but as long as I have it active, the game can crash at any moment.

yes, has been this since May.

Since I only used arcdps to monitor fps+ping, I can live without it. Still a bit annoying.

What I have observed: the more is going on, the more likely the crash. 

• Like 1

I think it's because arcdps and other overlays such as overwolf or discord inject code.

You have no such issue with dxvk on its own.

Could also be the driver version for nvidia users https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/high-ram-consumption-when-playing-dx12-games-nvidia-470-57-02-drivers/184635/3

Edited by Infusion.7149

By the way, could anyone play using ArcDPS without crashes while playing on Armored's pack?

I'm thinking on trying because there's no chance to do it on Lutris. The game ends crashing no matter what I do.

And right now it's a must for something like fractals or raids 😞

17 hours ago, Minux.2416 said:

And right now it's a must for something like fractals or raids

Why? You don't need to use it in order to others to see your dps or boon uptime 🤔

----

I haven't used it for a long time, due to it making the game so unstable.

Edited by Hell Nirvana.9045

Hey guys. I switched my main pc fully to linux in the last week. I installed the GW2 game from Lutris, the Guild Wars 2 Armored Nvidia version, its said in the description is Based on v2.1.0 of ArmoredVehicle's custom WINE build from and it have this forum topic link. So basically I just wanted to say a very big thank you. The game works perfectly, the perfomance is absolutly good, even my two favorite addons are work fine too(arcdps and radial).

Edited by soboka.9128
  • Like 2

On 8/4/2021 at 8:51 PM, Hell Nirvana.9045 said:

Haven't had a single crash since I switched back. I'm gonna switch to the newer version again to see if the build was actually at fault, and not the Nvidia drivers and/or linux-firmware, both which I've received updates for since.

I've had two game freezes since this post. But better than whole system ones I've had before...

Hey guys,

Id like to know what are the optimal settings to minimize input lag? I am getting mild motion sickness of some sorts, I just recently started playing again GW2 and played other third person games before that without any issue.

How does the game work with adaptive sync and how can I confirm async is working correctly in game?

Additionally, I am not sure which installer I used for me game, but I think it was without the packages from OP, is there an easy way to setup your package alongside what I have now, to check performance differences?

Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, Samurro.1463 said:

Hey guys,

Id like to know what are the optimal settings to minimize input lag? I am getting mild motion sickness of some sorts, I just recently started playing again GW2 and played other third person games before that without any issue.

How does the game work with adaptive sync and how can I confirm async is working correctly in game?

Additionally, I am not sure which installer I used for me game, but I think it was without the packages from OP, is there an easy way to setup your package alongside what I have now, to check performance differences?

Thanks in advance.

Can you please be a bit more specific with "what you have now?".  My packages run in an entirely portable way, which means for example if you're currently running GW2 using Lutris, my package won't interfere with that installation as it's contained in it's own folder. Therefore makes it easier to compare performance.

On 8/26/2021 at 3:50 PM, Hell Nirvana.9045 said:

Just wondering if it'll work with it out-of-the-box, or if this package has some DirectX 9 -only configurations.

DXVK-DX11 is already supported out of the box in the package. Considering how mature DXVK already is, I'm hoping we won't have any bad surprises with this game.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

Can you please be a bit more specific with "what you have now?".  My packages run in an entirely portable way, which means for example if you're currently running GW2 using Lutris, my package won't interfere with that installation as it's contained in it's own folder. Therefore makes it easier to compare performance.

I spoke w/ Samurro on Discord, in fact I was the one who directed him here. I believe he's using the Lutris installer but still getting input lag & motion sickness etc.

Hello!

I've just switched from windows to Linux and something really wacky is that apparently Linux installations of GW2 tie framerate to model calls from the on-drive model cache and if your drive happens to be a slow but high capacity mechanical drive, your performance will tank whenever new calls have to be made by something as simple as turning the camera. SUPER WEIRD RIGHT? 8 years of playing this on windows with a mechanical drive and I somehow never noticed.

Now, GW2 isnt worth the 50gb of ssd space, but I heard there was a way to offload the cache to the /tmp folder as a ramdisk. (The wiki, the answer is the wiki, but the commands offered there didn't look like they'd accomplish anything of the sort it claims to and I wasn't about to try it.) Now, I've got plenty of ram to burn, so if this true, that'd be fantastic. If you'd help out, please?

On 9/4/2021 at 8:51 AM, PseudoFaux.1759 said:

Hello!

I've just switched from windows to Linux and something really wacky is that apparently Linux installations of GW2 tie framerate to model calls from the on-drive model cache and if your drive happens to be a slow but high capacity mechanical drive, your performance will tank whenever new calls have to be made by something as simple as turning the camera. SUPER WEIRD RIGHT? 8 years of playing this on windows with a mechanical drive and I somehow never noticed.

Now, GW2 isnt worth the 50gb of ssd space, but I heard there was a way to offload the cache to the /tmp folder as a ramdisk. (The wiki, the answer is the wiki, but the commands offered there didn't look like they'd accomplish anything of the sort it claims to and I wasn't about to try it.) Now, I've got plenty of ram to burn, so if this true, that'd be fantastic. If you'd help out, please?

Hello,

Could you please provide some details about your system, namely the CPU, GPU and Distro you're using 🙂

If you're using my package and want to try the ramdisk method. In the GW2 folder, you'll find a folder named "shader_cache", open a terminal window in it and copy and paste the following:   sudo mount -t tmpfs -o size=128M tmpfs ./

The command above will create a 128MB ramdisk which is enough for this game. As you're probably aware, all contents will be lost as soon you turn off or reboot the PC.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 7:58 AM, ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

Hello,

Could you please provide some details about your system, namely the CPU, GPU and Distro you're using 🙂

If you're using my package and want to try the ramdisk method. In the GW2 folder, you'll find a folder named "shader_cache", open a terminal window in it and copy and paste the following:   sudo mount -t tmpfs -o size=128M tmpfs ./

The command above will create a 128MB ramdisk which is enough for this game. As you're probably aware, all contents will be lost as soon you turn off or reboot the PC.

Sure thing!
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
Nvidia GTX 1080

Manjaro KDE Plasma

I am, not in fact, using your package. Currently setup through lustro.

Edit: I have since moved over to your package after reading through all your material again.

Losing the cache isn't a problem. I'm fine with seeing only eyeballs every time I load up the character selection and having to see the world recompile every time I load up a map for the first time.

Avoiding the double post: I have since added the ramdisk command and the difference is absolutely night and day. It performs as well or better than on RAM and saves my poor SSD untold amounts of damage caused by the constant read/writes for GW2's horrible cache setup.

Thank you so much, AV! You are absolutely awesome.

Edited by PseudoFaux.1759
Avoiding the double post.

On 9/5/2021 at 5:58 PM, ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

Hello, I was wondering what would the difference be if I tried the ramdisk method? I mean I tried it once saw cpu usage spike up which I am guessing is from loading stuff. But how much is it really helping my ssd? and is it worth it?

On 9/9/2021 at 8:25 PM, Blackbeard.6419 said:

Hello, I was wondering what would the difference be if I tried the ramdisk method? I mean I tried it once saw cpu usage spike up which I am guessing is from loading stuff. But how much is it really helping my ssd? and is it worth it?

In my tests I found the ramdisk to be useful only in case of a normal HDD to prevent stuttering during shader compilation. If you're running the game on an SSD, especially an M.2 NVME it shouldn't make much difference, if any at all.