Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

13 hours ago, Reactor.6975 said:

since this is a problem, probably related to Fsync, need information about which kernel and wine build is being used.
as a quick alternative answer - try just disabling Fsync and switch to using Esync.

Ah, sorry, I should have put everything into one forum post and edited the original.

That info is below here quoted along with the other issues that I am running into. I'll try disabling Fsync and see, thanks! Though, I do get other crashes like below in my other post quoted below: 

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600X
  • GPU: AMD Radeon 6800 XT
  • Drivers: 22.1.4 (RADV / Open)
  • Kernel: 5.18.13
  • DXVK: DXVK 1.10.2 / 1.10.1 / dxvk-async-1.10.2 / dxvk-async-1.10.1 + the DXVK build from here: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/2729
  •  
On 7/25/2022 at 11:21 AM, Vakky.7241 said:

The game just closed when I tabbed out:
015c:err:virtual:try_map_free_area mmap() error Cannot allocate memory, range 0x7fab39a00000-0x7fab39e00000, unix_prot 0x3.
015c:err:virtual:try_map_free_area mmap() error Cannot allocate memory, range 0x7fab3a760000-0x7fab3ab60000, unix_prot 0x3.
015c:err:virtual:alloc_area_in_reserved_or_between_callback Could not map in reserved area.
-autologin: /home/ubuntu/buildbot/runners/wine/wine-src/dlls/ntdll/unix/virtual.c:1520: create_view: Assertion `!((UINT_PTR)base & page_mask)' failed.
015c:err:seh:call_stack_handlers invalid frame 0000000006E4E420 (0000000006D32000-0000000006E30000)
015c:err:seh:NtRaiseException Exception frame is not in stack limits => unable to dispatch exception.
Initial process has exited (return code: 0)
Monitored process exited.
Exit with return code 0

This seems to be a problem for me:

File: D:\Perforce\Live\NAEU\v2\Code\Arena\Engine\ArenaWeb\CoherentUi\AwCohContext.cpp(375)

I also see a lot of this when I open items in the Trading Post / Black Lion Store. However, this seems to only happen on DXVK 1.10.1, not 1.10.2:

info:  DXVK: Using 7 compiler threads
info:  D3D9DeviceEx::ResetSwapChain:
info:    Requested Presentation Parameters
info:      - Width:              1
info:      - Height:             1
info:      - Format:             D3D9Format::R5G6B5
info:      - Auto Depth Stencil: false
info:                  ^ Format: D3D9Format::Unknown
info:      - Windowed:           true
err:   Failed to create swap chain

+

on 1.10.2 but without crashing:
info:  DXVK: Using 7 compiler threads
warn:  D3D9DeviceEx::SetRenderState: Unhandled render state 26

+

some of this, unsure when:

warn:  D3D9: Failed to write shared resource info for a texture
err:   Failed to create shared resource: VK_KHR_EXTERNAL_MEMORY_WIN32 not supported

I keep seeing 32-bit libraries mentioned. What do I need to make sure I have? wine-core.i686 vulkan-loader.i686 are both installed.

I am using Lutris and had problems initially post-patch but got everything (mostly) working after the patch by creating a new Wine prefix and using lutris-fshack-7.2 instead but I still ran into the odd crash. The Trading Post / Black Lion Store were working too. I never got to see the dialog box though, it just closed. Sometimes, when I opened the map and tried to waypoint somewhere. I enabled the debugging logs now so I can keep an eye on it when it crashes again. I'm not sure if the random crashes I have are the same as the above as I didn't often see that dialog nor did I have the logging enabled. It doesn't seem to make a difference whether or not I have the Lutris runtime enabled or disabled. Fsync + Esync are both enabled. Feral GameMode is also enabled.

I can replicate a crash (due to the line mentioned at the start) consistently now though by clicking around the Black Lion Trading / Trading Post.

Lastly, if anyone knows how to fix this one, when I launch the Guild Wars 2 launcher, sometimes I will get a message about running greater than Windows XP. Why this doesn't happen consistently is beyond me. However, my Wine Configuration is set to Windows 10 and the regedit CurrentVersion confirms this. However, the Guild Wars 2 crashes note Wine 7.0 or Wine 0.0, like this:
OSVersion: Wine 0.0-unknown (64 bit)

I was on a slightly older release and usually, I only use dxvk-async but just wanted to rule it out. I am now on:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600X
  • GPU: AMD Radeon 6800 XT
  • Drivers: 22.1.4 (RADV / Open)
  • Kernel: 5.18.13
  • DXVK: DXVK 1.10.2 / 1.10.1 / dxvk-async-1.10.2 / dxvk-async-1.10.1 + the DXVK build from here: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/2729
Edited by Vakky.7241

15 hours ago, ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

After a week I've finally got the game running on both my desktop and laptop (AMD gpu and Intel HD respectively).  took me a little longer than most due to running an old distro. It's good to be back despite the TP still being a mess.

Can wait for an updated package 🙂

I really should try the lutris proton dxvk etc installs myself one day

Regards

21 hours ago, ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

After a week I've finally got the game running on both my desktop and laptop (AMD gpu and Intel HD respectively).  took me a little longer than most due to running an old distro. It's good to be back despite the TP still being a mess.

I don't like Steam or clients in general, so I feel you on that.  I used this build: https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/wine-ge-custom/releases/download/GE-Proton7-21/wine-lutris-GE-Proton7-21-x86_64.tar.xz  (pre-compiled Wine build)

From there I setup a new prefix,  added DXVK game worked fine. If for some reason you're 100% sure you did everything correctly but game is still crashing, try enabling Virtual Desktop in Wine config, this has solved the issue for me on Intel HD.

thanx for the link. if I understand that correctly, I will need to have wine installed from the repository, and then install this on top of it? I also noticed there is a wine-ge-custom in AUR for arch linux, any idea if this is the same?

24 minutes ago, handsomedrave.2870 said:

thanx for the link. if I understand that correctly, I will need to have wine installed from the repository, and then install this on top of it? I also noticed there is a wine-ge-custom in AUR for arch linux, any idea if this is the same?

Installing Wine from the package manager should be done on every system as it will automatically install most required dependencies. As for that package,  no installation is needed, you can unzip it into your home folder and create a portable setup from it.

In your case, it's probably easier to just install the one from the AUR repo.

@MrEMan.1730 Might be a while before I release a new package, the only 2 issues I have so far since the new update is with the TP crashing the game after a period of gameplay and the flickering lighting which is also present on Windows.

As for performance, It's still pretty much the same from before the patch.  I'm taking notes as I play 🙂

Edited by ArmoredVehicle.2849
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 12:09 PM, ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

Been trying to login since the update without success. I've tried various Wine versions, none of them are working.

For the moment I can't even provide a proper standalone package.

I skimmed over the latest changelog multiple times and there's absolutely no sign of this change.

I did say "undocumented" for a reason, that being that nothing had been said in any notes. All I can say is that I went from being able to log in normally and play, to not being able to login at all, much less play, to being able to login and play again, albeit with that same Windows XP error. All that without me having done a single thing on my end at all. 

That was also the experience for a guild member using WINE on Linux. Anecdotal experience that suggests to me the conclusion I drew. Nothing more. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/27/2022 at 1:50 PM, ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

Installing Wine from the package manager should be done on every system as it will automatically install most required dependencies. As for that package,  no installation is needed, you can unzip it into your home folder and create a portable setup from it.

In your case, it's probably easier to just install the one from the AUR repo.

@MrEMan.1730 Might be a while before I release a new package, the only 2 issues I have so far since the new update is with the TP crashing the game after a period of gameplay and the flickering lighting which is also present on Windows.

As for performance, It's still pretty much the same from before the patch.  I'm taking notes as I play 🙂

thanx for the info, unfortunately, after updating wine-ge-custom from AUR, a new wineprefix, no dvxk, and gw2 still crashes when trying to launch. 😞

time to try other things.

Another datapoint for using Steam with Proton version GE-Proton7-26 and an Nvidia gpu. No crashes, decent performance, the only glitches I've noticed are the lighting-related thing that's been reported on Windows. I'm not using any launch options, all I did to make it work was update my system (current openSUSE Tumbleweed) and install everything that looked Vulkan/dxvk-related. If it'd help I can dig up the installed versions of all the related packages. The system version of dxvk is 1.10.2-1, but I believe that's not relevant with Proton?

FYI: In Lutris there seems to be a new DXVK release "dxvk-v1.10.2-f5fe259" available which makes, at least for me, everything work again. Performance is as it was before the doomsday-update.

dx11, lutris-ge-proton-23-x86_64, dxvk-v1.10.2-f5fe259

A quick google uncovered...nothing...the "f5fe259" looks like a git-commit-hash, so I don't think it's an official release...but what do I know...

cheers

Edited by raynsan.2153

8 hours ago, raynsan.2153 said:

FYI: In Lutris there seems to be a new DXVK release "dxvk-v1.10.2-f5fe259" available which makes, at least for me, everything work again. Performance is as it was before the doomsday-update.

dx11, lutris-ge-proton-23-x86_64, dxvk-v1.10.2-f5fe259

A quick google uncovered...nothing...the "f5fe259" looks like a git-commit-hash, so I don't think it's an official release...but what do I know...

cheers

Are you sure you haven't changed anything? I'm using the same proton + dxvk as you, but still can't even get to the login screen.

1 hour ago, Evermore.5649 said:

Are you sure you haven't changed anything? I'm using the same proton + dxvk as you, but still can't even get to the login screen.

Well, that's a tough cooky considering that any answer to this is based on MY exact set-up, which you don't know of....But I will try to describe my settings (options I dont list are empty, off, or simple defaults like the path to your wine-prefix) :

Lutris-settings:

- Gameoptions

- Arguments: -dx11

- Prefix architecture: 64-bit

- Runner options:

- Wine version: lutris-GE-Proton7-23-x86_64

- Use system winetricks: false

- Enable DXVK: true

- DXVK Version: v1.10.2-f5fe259

- Enable VKD3D: true

- VKD3D version: v2.6

- Enable D3D Extras: true

- D3D Extras version: v2

- Enable DXVK-NVAPI / DLSS: true

- ...version: v0.5.4

- Enable esync: true

- Enable fsync: true

- Enable BattlEye Anti-Cheat: true

- Enable Easy Anti-Cheat: true

- Windowed (virutal desktop): false

- Create a sandbox for Wine folders: true

- System Options:

- Prefer systemlibraris: true (but false works just the same)

- Restrict number of cores used: false

- Restrict number of cores to: 4

- Disable screensaver: true

- Reduce PulseAudio latency: true

- Enable Feral GameMode: true (this does not seem to do anything for the fps...)

- Environment varibles:

DXVK_HUD | 0

WINEFSYNC | 1

__GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE | 1

__GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_PATH | <path-to-my-ram-disk>

__GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_SKIP_CLEANUP | 1

__GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS | 1 (added this because of the doomsday-patch, didn't change anything for me)

- Xephyr Fullscreen: true

System-Specs:

Archlinux@5.15.55-2-lts

nvidia-gtx-1050-ti

amd-ryzen 2600

16gb ram

samsung evo 970 EVO (RAM-Disk will not help with fps but reduce IO on the disk)

I installed Wine on the System for its dependencies (which I will not list if not explicetly requested by someone). Wine-version: 7.13-1

Cheers and kind regards

Edited by raynsan.2153

3 hours ago, raynsan.2153 said:

Well, that's a tough cooky considering that any answer to this is based on MY exact set-up, which you don't know of....But I will try to describe my settings (options I dont list are empty, off, or simple defaults like the path to your wine-prefix) :

Lutris-settings:

- Gameoptions

- Arguments: -dx11

- Prefix architecture: 64-bit

- Runner options:

- Wine version: lutris-GE-Proton7-23-x86_64

- Use system winetricks: false

- Enable DXVK: true

- DXVK Version: v1.10.2-f5fe259

- Enable VKD3D: true

- VKD3D version: v2.6

- Enable D3D Extras: true

- D3D Extras version: v2

- Enable DXVK-NVAPI / DLSS: true

- ...version: v0.5.4

- Enable esync: true

- Enable fsync: true

- Enable BattlEye Anti-Cheat: true

- Enable Easy Anti-Cheat: true

- Windowed (virutal desktop): false

- Create a sandbox for Wine folders: true

- System Options:

- Prefer systemlibraris: true (but false works just the same)

- Restrict number of cores used: false

- Restrict number of cores to: 4

- Disable screensaver: true

- Reduce PulseAudio latency: true

- Enable Feral GameMode: true (this does not seem to do anything for the fps...)

- Environment varibles:

DXVK_HUD | 0

WINEFSYNC | 1

__GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE | 1

__GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_PATH | <path-to-my-ram-disk>

__GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_SKIP_CLEANUP | 1

__GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS | 1 (added this because of the doomsday-patch, didn't change anything for me)

- Xephyr Fullscreen: true

System-Specs:

Archlinux@5.15.55-2-lts

nvidia-gtx-1050-ti

amd-ryzen 2600

16gb ram

I installed Wine on the System for its dependencies (which I will not list if not explicetly requested by someone). Wine-version: 7.13-1

Cheers and kind regards

Thanks for the detailed answer 🙂

Oddly enough people with nvidia cards seem to have it easier with this... Basically the only major difference between our setup is the GPU so yeah, sucks to be me haha

6 hours ago, raynsan.2153 said:

System-Specs:

Archlinux@5.15.55-2-lts

nvidia-gtx-1050-ti

amd-ryzen 2600

16gb ram

Wine-version: 7.13-1

I have almost exactly the same setup but it doesn't work 🤨

Differences are Ubuntu 20.04, GeForce GTX 1660 and wine 7.0

Why is this so hard?

Regards

I've tried everything suggested since my last post and nothing's changed. No system configuration runs the game with DXVK without crashing, I can still only run it through WineD3D and OpenGL.

Its not an issue with staleness as I use a clean installation and prefix every time. All other 32-bit and 64-bit Wine/Vulkan games are fine, no dependancies are missing.

I've noticed devilspie2 also refuses to work while CoherintUI is running (Xfce/Xfwm4).

Also, the process seems to leak resources even in WineD3D and causes X to use 100% CPU after a few days until its restarted completely. I've traced this directly back to something about CoherintUI, and it doesn't happen on the older version that was included with the game before.

Its just doing something dirty.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508

Has anyone gotten mods working under Wayland? I saw mention earlier about needing some stuff for X11 to get things to work but I haven't seen any Wayland mentions in here.

EDIT: Disregard. I ran the Lutris installer and mods work fine here. I fixed the poor performance by loading up Proton 7.24 under Lutris after finishing install and it fixed not just my framerate but the weird mouse issues with 7.1. All good now.

Edited by Synthawk.7830

On 3/6/2018 at 7:55 PM, ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

!!!!!IMPORTANT!!!!!   AS OF THE 19/7/22 UPDATE THE GAME DOESN'T RUN USING MY PACKAGES - WILL BE UPDATING THEM ASAP !!!!!IMPORTANT!!!!!

•  

Hi. I understand you said 'will be updating ASAP', but do you have any estimates by any chance? Thanks. 🙂

41 minutes ago, QuestingQuaggan.8749 said:

Time to dual boot windows boys. Dx11 is in pretty good shape now for both AMD and NVIDIA.

No issues to report.

The irritating thing is, prior to this, the game worked absolutely flawlessly in Linux on the DX11 engine, with postprocessing from vkBasalt and everything. It was one of the best games to run on Linux and because of that and had a pretty sizeable Linux userbase compared to other MMOs.

Now its just trash, for no reason. Linux users were thrown out like we don't even matter after a decade of the devs being very careful that the game runs on Linux and Mac even if officially unsupported.

The fact that they deprecated D3D9 in this update despite it now being necesary for some of us to even keep playing the game under Linux shows that, and its all due to a CoherintUI update that most players think just made the game look even less polished with its weird fonts and other glitches.

I've stopped spending money on the game as of that update.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, QuestingQuaggan.8749 said:

Time to dual boot windows boys.

No way. Look at reddit and also the forums outside of this thread, see how many people have similar serious problems (even crashes) on Windows as well since the July 19th patch.

It's not Linux, it's Anet releasing undocumented changes without enough testing, hopefully they'll fix it, hopefully before the Steam release or they risk getting bad reviews because of it.

• Like 3

I haven't had a windows partition since 2005. I think at this point I'd rather let a game rest for a few months, if it's having problems in Linux than put a windows partition back on.  (Especially since I'm not liking the direction Windows 11 is going from a privacy standpoint, or how they are trying to enforce a walled garden with hardware. See also pluton. It's all a bit too close to the "extinguish" part of things.)

Edited by garpu.6210
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 6:37 PM, SirBaldyLocks.7814 said:

Hi. I understand you said 'will be updating ASAP', but do you have any estimates by any chance? Thanks. 🙂

Hello, currently testing new package. For the most part everything's working fine with the exception of trading post.

Rough estimate, sometime next week 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4