Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

10 hours ago, Niagara.2715 said:

No way. Look at reddit and also the forums outside of this thread, see how many people have similar serious problems (even crashes) on Windows as well since the July 19th patch.

It's not Linux, it's Anet releasing undocumented changes without enough testing, hopefully they'll fix it, hopefully before the Steam release or they risk getting bad reviews because of it.

I run dual boot Arch Linux and Windows 11.

Since the foo bar issues appeared I've been happily playing on windows. It just works. I've had zero crashes or issues with AMD driver 22.5.1. RX 6700XT. Played last night for about 4 hours, no crashes, screen flickering or trading post issues.

Was nice just to play the game.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Niagara.2715 said:

Did they fix the memory leak with yesterday's patch? Notes just say generic client crash.

Anyway, I'm not having coherentui crashes anymore for using TP a lot, nor switching maps and chars, anyone else?

I still get random crashes with TP.   Yesterday played for over 2 hours without issues. This morning however it crashed within half an hour.

30 minutes ago, ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

I still get random crashes with TP.   Yesterday played for over 2 hours without issues. This morning however it crashed within half an hour.

Sorry to hear that, I was hoping it was fixed for everyone 😞

Are you using Lutris or custom setup? I'm still using manual setup into a custom prefix (with GE wine-proton) because Lutris doesn't yet work for me, even after the DXVK update on their part.

Edited by Niagara.2715

1 hour ago, Niagara.2715 said:

Sorry to hear that, I was hoping it was fixed for everyone 😞

Are you using Lutris or custom setup? I'm still using manual setup into a custom prefix (with GE wine-proton) because Lutris doesn't yet work for me, even after the DXVK update on their part.

Manual setup

Wine-GE 7-22 (clean prefix)

DXVK Async 1.10.3

Mesa 22.1.5

3 hours ago, Niagara.2715 said:

Yeah because if it doesn't happen to you then it doesn't exist.

Some people ...

Simply providing some feedback on my experience. Other people's experiences may differ, but that's a given. You're a bit rude aren't you! Those words are yours and not mine.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, QuestingQuaggan.8749 said:

Simply providing some feedback on my experience. Other people's experiences may differ, but that's a given. You're a bit rude aren't you! Those words are yours and not mine.

Playing on Windows 11 adds very little to this thread.

And we already know that some have issues while others have none. That goes for both Windows and via Wine.

3 hours ago, Niagara.2715 said:

Did they fix the memory leak with yesterday's patch? Notes just say generic client crash.

Anyway, I'm not having coherentui crashes anymore for using TP a lot, nor switching maps and chars, anyone else?

Leak is still there. Still in the situation where TP becomes unbearable to use after a while. Not had any crashes while playing since the 19th, though, after switching to non-Steam game method. Currently playing the game with GE-Proton7-28.

Edited by Hell Nirvana.9045
  • Like 4

On 8/4/2022 at 2:06 PM, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

The irritating thing is, prior to this, the game worked absolutely flawlessly in Linux on the DX11 engine, with postprocessing from vkBasalt and everything. It was one of the best games to run on Linux and because of that and had a pretty sizeable Linux userbase compared to other MMOs.

Now its just trash, for no reason. Linux users were thrown out like we don't even matter after a decade of the devs being very careful that the game runs on Linux and Mac even if officially unsupported.

The fact that they deprecated D3D9 in this update despite it now being necesary for some of us to even keep playing the game under Linux shows that, and its all due to a CoherintUI update that most players think just made the game look even less polished with its weird fonts and other glitches.

I've stopped spending money on the game as of that update.

That summary seems to wrap it up pretty well.

On top of this, their "support" answers any issue reports with standard templates about updating graphics drivers or adjusting settings in the nvidia control panel to improve performance or telling me afterwords, that linux is not supported and i should use something like Crossover (just another standard template) while i told them, that the game is running with dx9, just with very low FPS.

So one bad update alone would not be a trigger for me, but combined with a support that does not deserve this name, i wont spend any more money on this game as of that update.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Opopanax.1803 said:

My point was Steam on a linux PC is native, so it is kept running a lot better than something like Wine which is not nearly as focused on player experience for gaming.  

The Steam client and Wine are both native. Games you run through either one of them are a separate question.

Edited by Hell Nirvana.9045

20 minutes ago, Hell Nirvana.9045 said:

The Steam client and Wine are both native. Games you run through either one of them are a separate question.

Yes, I am aware... but Steams sole focus is gaming whereas WINE is a windows program emulator.  Steam will maintain a focus on performance for games, just like GeForceNow, whereas WINE, not so much.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Opopanax.1803 said:

Makes sense that Steam would fork Wine because they needed it to be better.

That, and it's got a lot of patches that you probably won't see in WINE, proper, and aren't in staging.  fsync, for one. Also, it's assuming dxvk, which the WINE devs don't really want to know about for the purposes of bugs. (That is, it's unsupported, because it's not coded in C, among other reasons.)

Edited by garpu.6210
  • Like 1

Hello,

After my first, last and now this post I have been playing with different softwares, lutris, steam, pure wine, PlayOnlinux, and the last steam for linux.

PlayOnlinux didn't do a thing...

Wine will throw DLL error, then after fixing the DLL it throws .net error... after fixing the .net error it will throw a 3D dependency error, I stop there... 

Steam was able to run Skyrim V with latest Proton version, but not GW2 not even with the Proton experimental version...

So, I try again Lutris, with lutris sometimes was working sometimes was not but there was a pattern, every time I was switching from one runner to the other it was doing some configuration to the wine unfortunately I wasn't able to save or see the console output, what I did notice is that it was clearing the cache...

Anyways, what I have been using for a week without an "issue" is lutris-fshack-5.6-5x86_64, DXVK v1.9.4L-2 and for some reason I have winetricks on when I turn this off I got an error right at the launchers screen, having that on seems to solve that I have no idea why but it works...

the LTP still looks a bit blurry/fuzzy at moments but it has way better performance than before when I wasn't even able to scroll down, after the 19th's updated the TPL was unusable had to wait about 15 to 30secs for the confirmation window to show.

This:

• lutris-fshack-7.2-x86_64 and DXVK 1.9.4L-2
    • DX11 Off
      • No Lions Trading Post
      • High FPS(60-120)
  • lutris-GE-Proton7.1-x86_64 and DXVK 1.9-4L-2
    • DX11 On
      • Yes Lion Trading Post
      • Low FPS(20-50)

Became unstable after 2 days, with this lutris-fshack-5.6-5x86_64, DXVK v1.9.4L-2 I have been using it since the 2th of this month until today not problem, I got 30 FPS at Lion's arch and roaming world 40-60 with peaks of 120 FPS no less or more... the last error I got was from this last update was from the addon arcdps which by getting the new dll got fixed, aside from that I think I got it fixed for now at least for me.

Leaving this here in case somebody else might need it :
I had the same problem everybody else seemed to have and tried to reinstall to fix it at first. The lutris installer didn't work tho and after a few seconds, the gw2 launcher crashed, stating something along the lines of "browser crashed".
I fixed it by going on lutris, editing the last line of the install-script so it didn't run via proton but via fshack, clicked on "save draft" then on "test installer". The launcher got stuck on first try and I had to manually kill it, but on the second try it launched, installed the game and I can now play without issues.
In case anything is unclear, message me.

I've had pretty much zero issues with gw2 bar a bit of stuttering here and there in some maps by just adding the gw2 exe to steam as a non-steam app, installing Proton-GE-Custom (https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom) and using that for gw2's compatibility proton version, having gw2 run in dx11 mode, and using the following for launch options:

__GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_SKIP_CLEANUP=1 __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_PATH='/mnt/STORAGE_INT2/Games/Guild Wars 2' __GL_FSAA_MODE=0 __GL_DEFAULT_LOG_ANISO=0 __GL_LOG_MAX_ANISO=0 LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1" __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=0 __GL_YIELD=NOTHING DXVK_LOG_LEVEL=none DXVK_ASYNC=1 WINEDEBUG=-all WINEARCH=win64 STAGING_SHARED_MEMORY=1 WINEFSYNC=1 NOSTEAM=0 %command% 

Still, would prefer to use the ArmoredVehicle package, but as of right now, this setup works fine, with relatively standard performance. Well, Gw2 is a bit sluggish to launch (the launcher takes its sweet time to load, and occasionally just refuses to launch at all). The latest Proton-GE-Custom fixed a crash related to ArcDPS with Gw2, as well. 

Trading post works fine, bit low fps but not outside of my expectations even on Windows. Pretty much only issues I have are with the launcher. Slow and laggy, lazy to start up, spams journalctl with the following warning: "Window manager warning: Window 0x5000004 sets an MWM hint indicating it isn't resizable, but sets min size 1 x 1 and max size 2147483647 x 2147483647; this doesn't make much sense", seems to force itself to stay above all other windows, can't drag it very far around the desktop (seems to act much, much larger than it really is, and refuses to go beyond the edges of the monitor at all). Once ingame, no issues.

Edited by Bluaxe.5014

For the Lutris install I did the following changes to get things working again:

The big fix for me to was to switch to using wine-staging.

I also decided to go with lutris-GE-Proton7-25-x86_64. (place the folder into .local/share/lutris/runners/wine), then configured the Runner Options to use this.

So maybe this might help some of you out there.

Edited by TheMagickDoll.7594

On 8/10/2022 at 2:16 PM, Cedric.2563 said:

hi,

I'm not sure if it could help you but have a look at

Hey guys, had no problems with my ancient setup. But yesterday got a new pc and made a fresh setup. Than I started getting this Coherent GPU Process Error. I wanted to use systemwide proton-ge, so i installed steam as native and runtime and suddenly after that the error disappeared. Maybe this installs some required dependencies...?