Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

On 3/6/2018 at 1:55 PM, ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

!!!!!IMPORTANT!!!!!   AS OF THE 19/7/22 UPDATE THE GAME DOESN'T RUN USING MY PACKAGES - WILL BE UPDATING THEM ASAP !!!!!IMPORTANT!!!!!

I wanted to check on the progress of any potential update and to see if there was anything I could do to help.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, zistenz.1945 said:

Today's patch broke the linux playability via Steam Proton - again (texture mismatch error, or something). The game requires the latest GE-Proton-7.33 now (7.30 crashes).

I made a habit out of always using the latest GE-Proton to run Windows game on Linux. In more cases than not, I get a better, more stable performance than with the official Steam Proton version.

Edited by radumitrescu.3821
  • Like 1

Some exciting changes to MESA that will bring a performance improvement to CPU bound games using RADV.

https://www.phoronix.com/news/RADV-Lower-Draw-CPU-Overhead

No doubt Phoronix  will do gaming benchmarks once the merge request is complete.

Coupled with the improvements coming to the next DXVK release and the ongoing work to merge a fully fledged Graphics Pipeline support in MESA should be good times ahead for GW2 players on linux.

Updating to bleeding edge Mesa/ Mesa dev will be required though.

I'd wait for the benchmarks but it sounds very promising 🙂

Edited by QuestingQuaggan.8749
  • Like 2

On 7/22/2022 at 12:22 PM, crazycookie.3247 said:

I am running with dxvk+dx11 again after installing amdvlk+lib32-amdvlk and telling lutris to use the amdvlk ICD instead of radv.

Wow many thanks, this did the trick for me!
I changed everything I could in the starter options tab, I guess I'd never touched the Vulkan-ICD-Loader option by myself 😄
For now I choose AMDGPU-PRO Proprietary and see how it works (mistlock sancutary was a bit laggy but maybe shader cache build up or something now).

Edit:
My system:
5.19.8-arch1-1 with AMD Radeon RX580

My Lutris settings right now:
Starter Options:
wine-version: lutris-fshack-7.2-x86_64
DXVK Version v1.10.3

Edited by saddy.5786

After a few months without incidents, I did some re-install for the whole OS, I was using Debian 10 so I did an upgrade to Debian 11, everything went ok, even the FPS got better, but!, the LTP doesn't show any more, can't sell, can't buy...

and now the GW2 launch looks like this.

Image screenshot

once you r in game, everything works except for the LTP... 

** Update video

Video Trading post

There is the video so that you can see how it looks... 

Edited by Tanker.9802

On 9/17/2022 at 11:20 PM, Tanker.9802 said:

After a few months without incidents, I did some re-install for the whole OS, I was using Debian 10 so I did an upgrade to Debian 11, everything went ok, even the FPS got better, but!, the LTP doesn't show any more, can't sell, can't buy...

and now the GW2 launch looks like this.

Image screenshot

once you r in game, everything works except for the LTP... 

** Update video

Video Trading post

There is the video so that you can see how it looks... 

Have you try more recent version  of wine, like lutris-fshack-7.2  and DXVK 1.10.3 ?

I have similar problem with LTP with an older version of DXVK

Edited by Nortes.5692

On 9/19/2022 at 8:15 AM, Nortes.5692 said:

Have you try more recent version  of wine, like lutris-fshack-7.2  and DXVK 1.10.3 ?

I have similar problem with LTP with an older version of DXVK

I'm using wine 7.0(core), lutris 0.5.11(app), version of wine to run the game in lutris is lutris-fshack-5.6.5-x86_64, DXVK 1.10.3, I have try other version bot none as good on performance as this, some don't even open the game and other I get like 2fps can't open anything...

On 8/27/2022 at 5:01 AM, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Currently known crashes, solutions and tweaks; quick reference.

1. The game crashes with a BGFX error.
2. The game crashes with a browser error.
3. The game crashes with a CoherentUI error - Not Lutris specific.
4. The game crashes with a CoherentUI error on Lutris.
5. The game crashes randomly after a while, but everything else works fine.
6. I can't get the game working with DXVK at all.
7. The Trading Post doesn't work properly, or is blank.
8. How do I get post-processing (like ReShade) in LInux?
9. How do I use ArcDPS in Linux?

Thank you so much! I wasn't able to start up the game since the first coherentUI-patch dropped and kind of gave up on it. Only now during my holidays I had enough free time to give it another try and your post helped me immensely to track down the issue systematically.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 9:23 PM, Tanker.9802 said:

I'm using wine 7.0(core), lutris 0.5.11(app), version of wine to run the game in lutris is lutris-fshack-5.6.5-x86_64, DXVK 1.10.3, I have try other version bot none as good on performance as this, some don't even open the game and other I get like 2fps can't open anything...

Wine 5.6 isn't new enough to run the game properly, you need a protonified version 7.2. The minimum versions required are listed in my thread here:

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508

I have fixed GW2 on my laptop (Ryzen 4800U with integrated GPU)!

My setup:

• Newest lutris
  • Ubuntu 22.04
  • lutris-GE-Proton7-28-x86_64
  • DXVK 1.10.3
  • VKD3D 2.6
  • Wine 7.18 Staging installed using apt
  • Env variable in lutris -> VK_ICD_FILENAMES /usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/radeon_icd.i686.json:/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/radeon_icd.x86_64.json
  • wine32, wine64 and dxvk were installed using apt (that fixed my problems) 

So if anyone has problems with CoherentUI, you can try 

sudo apt install wine32 wine64 dxvk

Edited by Aragmor.5786
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So...this is what I am seeing when I am attempting to launch GW2 through lutris:

43753 ?        S      0:01 lutris-wrapper: Guild Wars 2
  43755 ?        S      0:00 /home/mnemonic/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-GE-Proton7-1-x86_64/bin/wine /home/mnemonic/Games/guild-wars-2/drive_c/Program Files/Guild Wars 2/Gw2-64.exe
  43759 ?        Ss     0:00 /home/mnemonic/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-GE-Proton7-1-x86_64/bin/wineserver
  43761 ?        S      0:00 C:\windows\system32\wineboot.exe --init
  43781 ?        S      0:00 C:\windows\system32\winemenubuilder.exe -a -r
  43791 ?        Ssl    0:00 C:\windows\system32\services.exe
  43793 ?        Sl     0:00 C:\windows\system32\explorer.exe /desktop
  43800 ?        S      0:00 /home/mnemonic/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-GE-Proton7-1-x86_64/bin/wine64 C:\windows\system32\winedevice.exe
  43806 ?        Ss     0:00 /home/mnemonic/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-GE-Proton7-1-x86_64/bin/wine64 C:\windows\system32\tabtip.exe

However, there is no graphical indication that the game is up and running.  I'm not sure what I have missed.  Any ideas?

UPDATE:  It just took a while before it was evident that GW2 was trying to run before it crashed:

*--> Crash <--*
Assertion: Launcher: Browser crashed 
File: D:\Perforce\Live\NAEU\v2\Code\Gw2\Game\Launcher\LauncherCoherent.cpp(2559)
App: Gw2-64.exe 
Pid: 576
BaseAddr: 0000000140000000
ProgramId: 101
Build: 135438
When: 2022-10-06T23:04:20Z 2022-10-06T18:04:20-05:00
Uptime:   0 days  0:00:07
Flags: 0
DumpFile: Crash.dmp

Edited by Mnemonic.4853
Update
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mnemonic.4853 said:

So...this is what I am seeing when I am attempting to launch GW2 through lutris:

43753 ?        S      0:01 lutris-wrapper: Guild Wars 2
  43755 ?        S      0:00 /home/mnemonic/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-GE-Proton7-1-x86_64/bin/wine /home/mnemonic/Games/guild-wars-2/drive_c/Program Files/Guild Wars 2/Gw2-64.exe
  43759 ?        Ss     0:00 /home/mnemonic/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-GE-Proton7-1-x86_64/bin/wineserver
  43761 ?        S      0:00 C:\windows\system32\wineboot.exe --init
  43781 ?        S      0:00 C:\windows\system32\winemenubuilder.exe -a -r
  43791 ?        Ssl    0:00 C:\windows\system32\services.exe
  43793 ?        Sl     0:00 C:\windows\system32\explorer.exe /desktop
  43800 ?        S      0:00 /home/mnemonic/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-GE-Proton7-1-x86_64/bin/wine64 C:\windows\system32\winedevice.exe
  43806 ?        Ss     0:00 /home/mnemonic/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-GE-Proton7-1-x86_64/bin/wine64 C:\windows\system32\tabtip.exe

However, there is no graphical indication that the game is up and running.  I'm not sure what I have missed.  Any ideas?

UPDATE:  It just took a while before it was evident that GW2 was trying to run before it crashed:

*--> Crash <--*
Assertion: Launcher: Browser crashed 
File: D:\Perforce\Live\NAEU\v2\Code\Gw2\Game\Launcher\LauncherCoherent.cpp(2559)
Pid: 576
When: 2022-10-06T23:04:20Z 2022-10-06T18:04:20-05:00
Uptime:   0 days  0:00:07

That's the fullscreen bug, there's a few workarounds listed in my thread here:

6 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

That's the fullscreen bug, there's a few workarounds listed in my thread here:

Thanks.  I referenced this information before going to bed and am attempting to work through the fixes.  I do appreciate all of this information pulled together in a single location.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 10:01 PM, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

VK_ICD_FILENAMES=/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/radeon_icd.i686.json:/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/radeon_icd.x86_64.json

I am looking at the suggestion above now because of the crash dump noted below:

*--> Crash <--*
Assertion: Coherent GPU process crashed 
File: D:\Perforce\Live\NAEU\v2\Code\Arena\Engine\ArenaWeb\CoherentUi\AwCohContext.cpp(380)
Pid: 252
When: 2022-10-07T09:09:46Z 2022-10-07T04:09:46-05:00
Uptime:   0 days  0:02:28

I have an Nvidia GPU.  How would I need to adjust the environmental variable considering the contents in /usr/share/vulkan/icd.d?

nvidia_icd.json

I wanted to present a screenshot, but have not figured that one out.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mnemonic.4853 said:

I am looking at the suggestion above now because of the crash dump noted below:

*--> Crash <--*
Assertion: Coherent GPU process crashed 
File: D:\Perforce\Live\NAEU\v2\Code\Arena\Engine\ArenaWeb\CoherentUi\AwCohContext.cpp(380)
Pid: 252
When: 2022-10-07T09:09:46Z 2022-10-07T04:09:46-05:00
Uptime:   0 days  0:02:28

I have an Nvidia GPU.  How would I need to adjust the environmental variable considering the contents in /usr/share/vulkan/icd.d?

nvidia_icd.json

I wanted to present a screenshot, but have not figured that one out.

What `ls /usr/share/vulkan/icd.d ` is showing you in terminal?  

7 hours ago, Mnemonic.4853 said:

intel_icd.i686.json

lvp_icd.i686.json

nvidia_icd.json

radeon_icd.x86_64.json

intel_icd.x86_64.json

lvp_icd.x86_64.json

radeon_icd.i686.json

You have alot of different drivers installed, can I ask whats your main video card? I also don't have an NVIDIA card so I'm a bit confused why there's no separate 32 bit/64 bit versions of the NVIDIA ICD, maybe someone else on these forums could enlighten me on this.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508

4 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

You have alot of different drivers installed, can I ask whats your main video card? I also don't have an NVIDIA card so I'm a bit confused why there's no separate 32 bit/64 bit versions of the NVIDIA ICD, maybe someone else on these forums could enlighten me on this.

My GPU is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M.

I was able to get GW2 up and running by switching away from the Protonified version of Wine to the standard Lutris version.  Once I got the game up and running, I changed the in-game setting from 'Windowed' to 'Fullscreen Windowed'.  Now I do not require the '-windowed' command line argument.

After  a few hours of play, GW2 crashed while I was using the TP.  Currently I am experimenting with using the '-ignorecohertgpucrash' to see if that helps with the TP.

Overall, gameplay was excellent.  My lowest FPS was around 50 in LA and everything else worked as expected.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mnemonic.4853 said:

My GPU is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M.

I was able to get GW2 up and running by switching away from the Protonified version of Wine to the standard Lutris version.  Once I got the game up and running, I changed the in-game setting from 'Windowed' to 'Fullscreen Windowed'.  Now I do not require the '-windowed' command line argument.

After  a few hours of play, GW2 crashed while I was using the TP.  Currently I am experimenting with using the '-ignorecohertgpucrash' to see if that helps with the TP.

Overall, gameplay was excellent.  My lowest FPS was around 50 in LA and everything else worked as expected.

I'm not sure the standard Lutris version is large address aware (unless its been patched by now), which could contribute to Coherent UI crashes, so keep that in mind when using it. Restarting your game every few hours could minimise crashes or eliminate them entirely.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

I'm not sure the standard Lutris version is large address aware (unless its been patched by now), which could contribute to Coherent UI crashes, so keep that in mind when using it. Restarting your game every few hours could minimise crashes or eliminate them entirely.

I really do appreciate you taking the time to help me get to a point where I am able to once again play, especially considering that in four days my first toon turns 10 years old. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

I am not certain if this is the appropriate thread for my question, but will ask anyway.  For anyone using Lutris to run GW2, am I the only person experiencing an overly lengthy time required before the game is ready to play?  That is, it takes upwards of 15 minutes before I see any evidence that I have started GW2.  It seems that Lutris spends an inordinate amount of time readying Wine in preparation for gameplay.  Maybe I have something toggled wrong?  Any suggestion as to how I can remedy this situation is greatly appreciated.

On 10/15/2022 at 12:36 PM, Mnemonic.4853 said:

I am not certain if this is the appropriate thread for my question, but will ask anyway.  For anyone using Lutris to run GW2, am I the only person experiencing an overly lengthy time required before the game is ready to play?  That is, it takes upwards of 15 minutes before I see any evidence that I have started GW2.  It seems that Lutris spends an inordinate amount of time readying Wine in preparation for gameplay.  Maybe I have something toggled wrong?  Any suggestion as to how I can remedy this situation is greatly appreciated.

Can you share your computer specs and information about your operating system?

46 minutes ago, Aragmor.5786 said:

Can you share your computer specs and information about your operating system?

Operating System - Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Cinnamon Version - 5.0.7

Linux Kernel - 5.18.10-76051810-generic

Processor - Intel© Core™ i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz × 4

Memory - 7.7 GiB

Graphics Card - NVIDIA Corporation GM204M [GeForce GTX 970M]

This is my first time running GW2 while utilizing Lutris.  In the past, GW2 would come up immediately under Wine.  Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

BTW: GW2 takes on average 8 minutes to come up under Lutris.  However, once it comes up, I am getting very good performance and everything functions as expected.

Edited by Mnemonic.4853
Update