Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

Here's a potential workaround for the coherentUI crash issue:

Was constantly crashing before but I've not had a single crash since adding that to the steam launch options (after %command% if you have any other launch options set)

Edited by Hurican.9857
typo
  • Like 1

Just to report my experience, been using bottles pretty successfully so far.

Better use the flatpack as it's available on most distros, and it's the version the devs maintain. I just created a game bottle, used latest soda (their own wine/proton fork), dxvk 2.0, then launched the installer, and it installed and ran out of the box.

Only problems I encountered are occasional crashes when zoning, and fiddling a bit too much with settings (especially runners) could make the launcher crash. If I just install and don't tinker too much, it usually is pretty stable.

Ofc overlays are a no go, but I could run arcdps and gwradial. Didn't test arcdps much, but using gwradial all the time.

Note that with Lutris the game doesn't launch at all for me, and steam wouldn't work with gwradial.

On 11/28/2022 at 8:58 AM, Hurican.9857 said:

Here's a potential workaround for the coherentUI crash issue:

Was constantly crashing before but I've not had a single crash since adding that to the steam launch options (after %command% if you have any other launch options set)

This worked for me as well. Been playing 3 days with this -ignorecoherentgpucrash flag and have not crashed once

• Thanks 1

On 11/30/2022 at 3:45 PM, llamatron.1627 said:

Just to report my experience, been using bottles pretty successfully so far.

Better use the flatpack as it's available on most distros, and it's the version the devs maintain. I just created a game bottle, used latest soda (their own wine/proton fork), dxvk 2.0, then launched the installer, and it installed and ran out of the box.

Only problems I encountered are occasional crashes when zoning, and fiddling a bit too much with settings (especially runners) could make the launcher crash. If I just install and don't tinker too much, it usually is pretty stable.

Ofc overlays are a no go, but I could run arcdps and gwradial. Didn't test arcdps much, but using gwradial all the time.

Note that with Lutris the game doesn't launch at all for me, and steam wouldn't work with gwradial.

Interestingly, for the first time, for me under Lutris it sort of runs at very low settings but Trading Post does not load at all what so ever. Whenever I open it it just flickers. Yet to try on Steam.

Copy/paste "-ignorecoherentgpucrash" into Arguments field under Game Options tab.

So i recently switched to Pop!_OS full time, trying to get away from Windows.

After a lot of tinkering, i have it set up how i like it for the most part, except a few programs that won't work...

Guild Wars 2 is also running good, like, an fps or two lower than on windows but that's to be expected.

I installed it through Lutris.

The only thing that bothers me is the massive input lag i get in larger FPS dropping fights.

This did not happen on windows on the same hardware, and is not happening on any other game.

I found a "kind of" a fix by disabling repeat keys, but it's still not responsive as it should be.

Sometimes the input completely drops, like, if i'm holding WD to go forward right, and drop D, the character just stops.

Stuff like that...

But if repeat keys are on, it's like it's queuing up 100s of key presses, and when you let go of the keys, they're still being activated, making the character still go in the direction you were holding for as long as the queued up keys were being fired. That's how it feels at least, idk what's actually going on.

Can someone help?

3 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

After a lot of tinkering, i have it set up how i like it for the most part, except a few programs that won't work...

Guild Wars 2 is also running good, like, an fps or two lower than on windows but that's to be expected.

The only thing that bothers me is the massive input lag i get in larger FPS dropping fights.

This did not happen on windows on the same hardware, and is not happening on any other game.

I found a "kind of" a fix by disabling repeat keys, but it's still not responsive as it should be.

Sometimes the input completely drops, like, if i'm holding WD to go forward right, and drop D, the character just stops.

Stuff like that...

But if repeat keys are on, it's like it's queuing up 100s of key presses, and when you let go of the keys, they're still being activated, making the character still go in the direction you were holding for as long as the queued up keys were being fired. That's how it feels at least, idk what's actually going on.

Can someone help?

Hey! I’m pretty sure both of our computers are Linux. I’ll ask my husband when I get home to see what he thinks. He may have ran into a similar situation.

6 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Stuff like that...

Can someone help?

This thread may prove helpful:  https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/22771-playing-guild-wars-2-on-linux-performance-optimizations-and-more/?do=getNewComment

15 hours ago, TOAD.4718 said:

Hey! I’m pretty sure both of our computers are Linux. I’ll ask my husband when I get home to see what he thinks. He may have ran into a similar situation.

Thanks! 🙂

12 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

That'll take a while to go through, but thanks.

In the meantime, i'm open to suggestions.

Also, whatever button i pres when i first log into the game, my character starts moving forward for no reason...

Uhh...

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/studio-update-happy-wintersday-from-the-guild-wars-2-team/

Changing from CoherentUI to CEF.  How badly is this going to screw us? Doesn't Blizzard's battlenet run on CEF? Looks like the Steam client is also CEF, so as long as things can be launched without the sandboxing, it might work...

Edited by garpu.6210

My 2¢ : I have steam with all needed packages on my Debian 11 with kernel 5.19 backport and official NVidia 515. I installed GW2 with steam, linked quite all files to another directory and I can play both Steam and "non Steam" versions exactly as I do under Windows but with less drive space used. The only one missing is TACO 🙂 I never reboot to Windows to play GW2, even WvW runs better (thanks Vulkan wrapper in proton). Edit : my command line options : -maploadinfo -ignorecoherentgpucrash

Edited by Dovahkiin from HighRock.46

10 minutes ago, Dovahkiin from HighRock.46 said:

My 2¢ : I have steam with all needed packages on my Debian 11 with kernel 5.19 backport and official NVidia 515. I installed GW2 with steam, linked quite all files to another directory and I can play both Steam and "non Steam" versions exactly as I do under Windows but with less drive space used. The only one missing is TACO 🙂 I never reboot to Windows to play GW2, even WvW runs better (thanks Vulkan wrapper in proton). Edit : my command line options : -maploadinfo -ignorecoherentgpucrash

Just out of curiousity, is there a way to run TACO or BLISH HUD under linux?

I've had no luck so far...

7 hours ago, garpu.6210 said:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/studio-update-happy-wintersday-from-the-guild-wars-2-team/

Changing from CoherentUI to CEF.  How badly is this going to screw us? Doesn't Blizzard's battlenet run on CEF? Looks like the Steam client is also CEF, so as long as things can be launched without the sandboxing, it might work...

It'll make things better, not worse. CoherentUI is 32-bit (causing OOM crashes) and highly proprietary, and it probably just uses some form of Chrome under the hood anyway.

Blizzard's client is just terribly written because they've hacked it into a literal desktop. They put appearance first (especially their ability to spam ads at you) and functionality second and have been doing that for years. ArenaNet isn't even remotely the same in that regard.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508

6 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Just out of curiousity, is there a way to run TACO or BLISH HUD under linux?

I've had no luck so far...

Unfortunately these addons don't actually extend the game but instead use DirectX to overlay on top of your whole screen while the game is running, which is very different from how ArcDPS works.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

It'll make things better, not worse. CoherentUI is 32-bit (causing OOM crashes) and highly proprietary, and it probably just uses some form of Chrome under the hood anyway.

This is true. I'm reminded that FFXIV's launcher is CEF, and it works with proton. CoherentUI has been kind of a kitten-show.

3 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Unfortunately these addons don't actually extend the game but instead use DirectX to overlay on top of your whole screen while the game is running, which is very different from how ArcDPS works.

Ah, bummer. 😞  So, i can't make them work at all? not even some dxvk tricks or something?

Does anyone have a problem with fast repeating About Face (look in one direction and move back- forward-back-...) at Linux? If I do it too fast, then my camera turns in the direction of movement.
And when I press the left mouse button, the cursor does not disappear immediately, but only if it is moved after that. (it seems like he should disappear, or no?)

I play on Lutris. Use free camera - on.

Edited by Below.1679

2 hours ago, Below.1679 said:

Does anyone have a problem with fast repeating About Face (look in one direction and move back- forward-back-...) at Linux? If I do it too fast, then my camera turns in the direction of movement.
And when I press the left mouse button, the cursor does not disappear immediately, but only if it is moved after that. (it seems like he should disappear, or no?)

I play on Lutris. Use free camera - on.

Known issues of input:

Whether you run as windowed, windowed fullscreen, fullscreen or in a virtual desktop will all affect how input works. To have the most direct input with the lowest latency you need to be running in fullscreen with your desktop environment set to skip compositing on fullscreen applications.

Enabling triple buffering (also known as TearFree) in your graphics driver will either help or hurt depending on your configuration. It usually improves framerate and stability but hurts input latency (responsiveness). Never use the game's built in VSync feature in Linux, which drops input frames like crazy.

Switching between applications will always mess up input for a few seconds due to how X works.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Known issues of input:

Whether you run as windowed, windowed fullscreen, fullscreen or in a virtual desktop will all affect how input works. To have the most direct input with the lowest latency you need to be running in fullscreen with your desktop environment set to skip compositing on fullscreen applications.

Enabling triple buffering (also known as TearFree) in your graphics driver will either help or hurt depending on your configuration. It usually improves framerate and stability but hurts input latency (responsiveness). Never use the game's built in VSync feature in Linux, which drops input frames like crazy.

Switching between applications will always mess up input for a few seconds due to how X works.

Thanks