Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

The big problem with CoherentUI isn't the performance, but that the host executable is 32-bit, when every system has been 64-bit for nearly a decade.

That's why it crashes, because old applications have a limit of addressing only 4GB of memory which is nothing these days especially to an MMO and barely enough for a modern web browser. That's assuming perfectly written code with no memory leaks, too.

This also causes issues for Wine which has to run in hybrid mode, needs 32-bit drivers installed, etc.

In theory if they switch off CoherentUI entirely we'll be able to tidy up our installations and make them 64-bit clean again, and the game will run better on a wider array of systems out of the box. I imagine we'll still need child window rendering patched in, though.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 1

The game refused to launch via Proton starting today. Worked fine last night, 02/16/23. To get it to launch I had to run 'steam-runtime --reset' from a terminal. After that the game crashes on the launcher before being able to login. Error message below.

Anyone else encountering this?

https://ibb.co/9YmCfgv

*--> Crash <--*
Assertion: Launcher: Browser crashed
File: D:\Perforce\Live\NAEU\v2\Code\Gw2\Game\Launcher\LauncherCoherent.cpp(2576)
App: Gw2-64.exe 
Pid: 260
BaseAddr: 0000000140000000
ProgramId: 101
Build: 141623
When: 2023-02-17T19:32:40Z 2023-02-17T14:32:40-05:00
Uptime:   0 days  0:00:06
Flags: 0
DumpFile: Crash.dmp

Edited by fumble.6857

4 minutes ago, Umiz.5786 said:

I just tried to launch the game via steam and it wouldn't open. I was running with proton experimental soon as i changed to any stable version game opened right away with no issues for me.

I just tried this (switched from Proton Experimental to Proton 7.0-6) but I didn't have any luck. The game does not even make it to the launcher to crash again. I suspect I would need to run the 'steam-runtime --reset' command again to get as far as the launcher. 

What finally worked for me was to go to this folder (~/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/) and delete the folder that corresponds to Proton Experimental (1284210). Then I switched to using Proton 7.0-6 for the compatibility tool instead of experimental.

Actually, I deleted all of the folders in that directory just in case, but I think only deleting the one and changing away from Experimental is enough. After that, the game launched successfully. Hopefully this helps somebody else!

Edited by Goofnut.8964

Just tried a fresh install, with:

Proton-GE 7.49

Proton-GE 7.43

Proton-Experimental

Proton 7.0-6

and still getting the same issue:

*--> Crash <--*
Assertion: Coherent GPU process crashed
File: D:\Perforce\Live\NAEU\v2\Code\Arena\Engine\ArenaWeb\CoherentUi\AwCohContext.cpp(380)

EDIT:

Figured out the issue. Had 1 AMD package installed (only have a Nvidia GPU). On Arch based systems you can check with 

pacman -Qs vulkan
Edited by Likwid.5748

Environment: Linux + PlayOnLinux+Wine+GW2

Error:

From yesterday (2023.02.23.) I receiving the following immediate crash error on clicking the loader "Play" button:

"File: D:\Perforce\Live\NAEU\v2\Code\Arena\Engine\Gr\Bgfx\BgfxTexture.cpp(627)"

The solution:

In the PlayOnLinux settings at the command line argument section I replaced the "-dx9single -autologin" to the "-dx9 -autologin" value.

It worked for me!

On 2/25/2023 at 1:02 AM, gwpeti.1708 said:

Environment: Linux + PlayOnLinux+Wine+GW2

Error:

From yesterday (2023.02.23.) I receiving the following immediate crash error on clicking the loader "Play" button:

"File: D:\Perforce\Live\NAEU\v2\Code\Arena\Engine\Gr\Bgfx\BgfxTexture.cpp(627)"

The solution:

In the PlayOnLinux settings at the command line argument section I replaced the "-dx9single -autologin" to the "-dx9 -autologin" value.

It worked for me!

dx9 will soon stop working. You'll have to find a way to make GW2 work in PlayOnLinux without it, which is weird, because when I was still using POL, it works fine without the dx9 flag.

In any case, I suggest using Steam or Lutris. Steam is better, it has all the options enabled by default which makes the game smooth (especially opening the TP, it's fast). Lutris is fine, but you have to get the settings right for your system, and opening the TP takes a few seconds to a minute (at least on my end).

On 1/15/2023 at 6:09 AM, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

This doesn't look like patch corruption; the archive format the game uses is designed to repair itself in any and all cases. It looks like a part of the file is physically corrupted, from a power outage, or a bad sector on disk and so on. You may want to run a deep check on the drive you copied it off of.

Making a copy of it won't help if the original is corrupted already.

Yeah, I ended up redownloading the whole thing and it worked. More likely that, got corrupted and unfortunately, not fixable. This is why I don't like the one-huge-dat file method. If worse comes to worst, re-download everything. T_T

I guess I'll take into consideration a back-up drive when I set up a new rig.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2022 at 6:33 PM, TocNoc.2098 said:

Happy to share that it works! 

ArcDPS and GW2 Radial running on Lutris with lutris-fshack-7.2. I just followed the GW2 Radial manual instructions and adjusted the ArcDPS to run with Addon Loader. 

No loss on FPS and no glitches or crashes for now...

How can i make this for steam launcher??? @TocNoc.2098

17 hours ago, Hell Nirvana.9045 said:

Seems some KDE Plasma update today has made it so that GW2 shows the 12-hour clock for me, no matter what my system locale settings are.

Ah! So that's what it is! I was wondering why it shows AM/PM instead of 24 hour.

What version of Plasma?

I'm on 5.27.2...

NOTE: I'm not sure if this should be in this thread, but since this is related to Linux, someone probably has an idea from the Linux experts here.

Q: Anyone tried, or figured out, how to run gw2_speedometer on Linux? I get stuck with "cannot import name 'windll' from 'ctypes'” and no search engine search resulted in anything about this.

Thank you.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, YourOnlyOne.4937 said:

ctypes

Googling this returns something about python libraries.

Make sure you have all the required python dependencies on your linux system and/or your wine install if you're running that program through wine. Though, since it's a .py file, it should run on linux, but i don't know how they implemented it, so it might be wine dependent.

In any case, ctypes has something to do with python, so you at least have something to go on.

https://docs.python.org/3/library/ctypes.html

You can also contact the devs on github, can't you?

Edited by Veprovina.4876

15 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Googling this returns something about python libraries.

Make sure you have all the required python dependencies on your linux system and/or your wine install if you're running that program through wine. Though, since it's a .py file, it should run on linux, but i don't know how they implemented it, so it might be wine dependent.

In any case, ctypes has something to do with python, so you at least have something to go on.

https://docs.python.org/3/library/ctypes.html

You can also contact the devs on github, can't you?

Yeah, that's the thing, everything is already installed. It's not WINE dependent, it runs on Python directly.

Already contacted them, but as it goes with anything open source, it takes time to get replies (like in my own [non-python] projects). So, I asked here, just in case someone already knows the answer.

Again, I apologise if this was too much off-topic. ^_^