Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

So I tried out the new CEF update.  It still needs the vk_child_window patch (wine-staging crashes, proton doesn't).  I'm getting a bunch of certificate errors, though, but everything seems to work OK.  (I bought/sold something on the trading post, just to see if it loaded OK.)

Error:

WARNING:cert_verify_proc_win.cc(89)] Unknown error -2146762482 mapped to net::ERR_FAILED

• Like 1

Someone else has issues with launching the game after last patch from 10hrs ago? I can't even pass the launcher - I'm getting the Initializing window and then parts of launcher fields with account name and password flickering. Pressing enter gives Unable to initialize 3D output error.

Lutris log shows this:

Started initial process 4043 from gamemoderun /home/****/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-GE-Proton7-1-x86_64/bin/wine /media/****/Styx/Gry/GW2/guild-wars-2/drive_c/Program Files/Guild Wars 2/Gw2-64.exe -maploadinfo -usecoherent -ignorecoherentgpucrash
Start monitoring process.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/$LIB/libgamemodeauto.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/$LIB/libgamemodeauto.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
esync: up and running.
wine: RLIMIT_NICE is <= 20, unable to use setpriority safely
[456:460:ERROR:gl_surface_egl.cc(188)] eglInitialize failed with error UNKNOWN
[456:460:ERROR:gl_surface_win.cc(163)] GLSurfaceEGL::InitializeOneOff failed.
[456:460:ERROR:gpu_child_thread.cc(185)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
Initial process has exited (return code: 0)
Monitored process exited.
Exit with return code 0

Edited by japkovy.8467

3 hours ago, japkovy.8467 said:

Someone else has issues with launching the game after last patch from 10hrs ago? I can't even pass the launcher - I'm getting the Initializing window and then parts of launcher fields with account name and password flickering. Pressing enter gives Unable to initialize 3D output error.

Lutris log shows this:

You need to either install GameMode or disable it entirely. It says "ignored", but if you see previous posts in this thread you'll see it still messes things up.

The other errors are confusing as the game doesn't use OpenGL, and the DirectX layer should be running over Vulkan on modern computers (any GPU made after 2013 or so). It even says you're using Proton, so you must've disabled DXVK somehow, or perhaps the installation was corrupted?

Did the game or your computer crash while patching?

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

You need to either install GameMode or disable it entirely. It says "ignored", but if you see previous posts in this thread you'll see it still messes things up.

The other errors are confusing as the game doesn't use OpenGL, and the DirectX layer should be running over Vulkan on modern computers (any GPU made after 2013 or so). It even says you're using Proton, so you must've disabled DXVK somehow, or perhaps the installation was corrupted?

Did the game or your computer crash while patching?

I was playing completely fine till that last patch which I downloaded today - I've stopped playing once the yellow notification popped in the chat. And now as above - I can't even get the launcher to run correctly. I've launched a spare backup Linux Mint installation on external disk with current drivers and launcher behaves exactly the same way (on daily basis I need to play on 456.27 drivers under Linux otherwise game crashes on translucent surfaces - some shaders issues with my GTX 670; it's a distro independent issue).

I'd guess that something else happen in the patch that did more than just corrected story progress problems.

---

Edit: there are the settings: https://ibb.co/X70xYyL https://ibb.co/vhvqvhg

The only other thing I did was launching Albion Online but I doubt this would affect GW2 in any way, especially when Albion is installed as flatpak

Edit 2: I disabled every option in Runner settings (DXVK, VK3D3, Extras, NVAPI), and game launched but of course it runs in really choppy way. I haven't touched these settings ever.

Edit 3: Changed the DXVK (2.1 to 1.10) and VK3D3 (2.8 to 2.6) out of pure curiosity and works fine now. I have no idea what happen here :|

Edited by japkovy.8467

1 hour ago, japkovy.8467 said:

I was playing completely fine till that last patch which I downloaded today - I've stopped playing once the yellow notification popped in the chat. And now as above - I can't even get the launcher to run correctly. I've launched a spare backup Linux Mint installation on external disk with current drivers and launcher behaves exactly the same way (on daily basis I need to play on 456.27 drivers under Linux otherwise game crashes on translucent surfaces - some shaders issues with my GTX 670; it's a distro independent issue).

I'd guess that something else happen in the patch that did more than just corrected story progress problems.

---

Edit: there are the settings: https://ibb.co/X70xYyL https://ibb.co/vhvqvhg

Try another proton. Lutris ones are hit or miss...

I'm using GE-Proton7-43 on Steam and it works great!

Lutris also always had issues with launcher vs. actual game for some reason it treats them differently.

You can download the game for free on Steam and use -provider Portal launch options to play on your Anet account.

Steam version works better than Lutris.

2 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Try another proton. Lutris ones are hit or miss...

Lutris also always had issues with launcher vs. actual game for some reason it treats them differently.

You can download the game for free on Steam and use -provider Portal launch options to play on your Anet account.

Steam version works better than Lutris.

The launcher uses CoherintUI, which is why its so problematic. Its not Lutris but the fact that ArenaNet use two completely different frameworks for their user interface, and one of them is unstable.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134

3 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

I run the game as a non-Steam game and I found it that since the Tuesday big patch the launcher crashes instantly if I ever try anything higher than GE 7.43. The big DXVK 2.x changes were came with the 7.44 version and as japkovy said he had to downgrade his DXVK settings to 1.x, so I think the two is related.

Also the new launcher window is modal ("always on top") now, and it has invisble parts around which steal the mouse events.

I also found that after latest patch, it wouldn't launch properly, but the fix above (DXVK 1.10.3, VKD3D 2.6) made it works.  I'm using GE-Proton-7-35 as my wine version.

Oddly, the old settings works after the last patch - I'm guessing in that case, it was using the old launcher that still worked, but on next run, now using the new launcher.

Then again here I am... Same as before, launcher no problem but when loading the character screen/welcome-screen it crashes, I was trying to use any of the GE-Proton version none of them works for me, only lutris-fshack-5+ with DXVK v1.10L other than that nothing not en the launcher, before the last update it was working just fine (at least for me) but now... I guess another partition for windows is in order? I hope not.

20 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

The launcher uses CoherintUI, which is why its so problematic. Its not Lutris but the fact that ArenaNet use two completely different frameworks for their user interface, and one of them is unstable.

Ah yes, that must be it then. I mean, Lutris does get confused sometimes about it. There was i believe a time where launcher would launch in DX9, but the rest of the game DX10, so the proton version that ran the launcher couldn't run the rest of the game lol.

Hopefully Anet sorts that out soon.

In the meantime, i have no problem running the game on Steam. And it's a simple thing to move the .dat file to the steam install, don't even have to reinstall the whole game. Pick proton experimental or GE, and the problem is fixed - hopefully.

19 hours ago, zistenz.1945 said:

I run the game as a non-Steam game and I found it that since the Tuesday big patch the launcher crashes instantly if I ever try anything higher than GE 7.43. The big DXVK 2.x changes were came with the 7.44 version and as japkovy said he had to downgrade his DXVK settings to 1.x, so I think the two is related.

Also the new launcher window is modal ("always on top") now, and it has invisble parts around which steal the mouse events.

Did you try running the Steam version with -provider Portal? You don't need to run it as a non steam game, GW2 is now on steam and you don't have to re-buy it, you can play with your normal account with the launch options mentioned above.

Also, if a proton version works, you don't need to update it, that's why Steam and lutris and everyone else keeps every version. Not every version will run with everyting. So unless there's a major change in GW2, you never have to change the proton version. It's not a "downgrade" if it works. 😄

Anyway, not guaranteed of course, but try running the game from Steam, not as non-steam game, just normal Steam game with -provider Portal launch options. Then if it runs, add gamemode, and any other options you had one by one to see if any of that is interfering.

Did you try running the Steam version with -provider Portal? You don't need to run it as a non steam game, GW2 is now on steam and you don't have to re-buy it, you can play with your normal account with the launch options mentioned above.

Yes, I know about that, but it's just the install from AV's last package and I don't want to "get it dirty" with the Steam launcher. 🙂 And there's no guarantee Anet will provide that side-login in the future too. Yes, I lose some Steam functions (time tracking, etc.), but I can live with that. My whole game life is on Steam, but I want to separate GW2 from it (for now).

22 minutes ago, zistenz.1945 said:

Yes, I know about that, but it's just the install from AV's last package and I don't want to "get it dirty" with the Steam launcher. 🙂 And there's no guarantee Anet will provide that side-login in the future too. Yes, I lose some Steam functions (time tracking, etc.), but I can live with that. My whole game life is on Steam, but I want to separate GW2 from it (for now).

If they want to keep the Steam Deck crowd, they better provide the side-login function. 😄

Also, Steam takes a % of the price for themselves if people buy on Steam, but Anet keeps all the cash if you buy from them so of course they're not going to force the Steam login. And if i'm not mistaken, Steam tracks everyone's time and who's logged in regardless if they're logged in with their Anet account, or Steam account, and if they get rid of the side-login, it'll suddenly seem like there's less people playing the game on Steam - which in turn affects how people who follow Steam stats percieve the game, which in turn might turn someone off = less sales, etc.

The side login isn't going anywhere lol. 😉

I mean, you do you, and there's no guarantee that running the game from Steam would fix your issues, so if you don't want to try it, up to you. You won't have to get your system "dirty" with Steam... 🤣

(which i kind of get, Steam takes stupid amount of time to shut down sometimes, especially when turning the system off...)

Edited by Veprovina.4876

And if i'm not mistaken, Steam tracks everyone's time and who's logged in regardless if they're logged in with their Anet account, or Steam account, and if they get rid of the side-login, it'll suddenly seem like there's less people playing the game on Steam - which in turn affects how people who follow Steam stats percieve the game, which in turn might turn someone off = less sales, etc.

Nah, people on this forum (in a different topic) said these uninspiring Steam stats prove nothing, the Steam launch was a huge success...

• Haha 1

On 3/19/2023 at 4:17 AM, Tanker.9802 said:

Then again here I am... Same as before, launcher no problem but when loading the character screen/welcome-screen it crashes, I was trying to use any of the GE-Proton version none of them works for me, only lutris-fshack-5+ with DXVK v1.10L other than that nothing not en the launcher, before the last update it was working just fine (at least for me) but now... I guess another partition for windows is in order? I hope not.

I'm using Lutris-GE-Proton7-38 + DXVK-async-2.0  
Works great so far with Arcdps +  Reshade installed. 

I disabled VKD3D Because GW2 don't need it, it's only for DX12 games. 
Do you have any GW2 addon installed?  If yes try disable/remove all addon. 

Microstutters on Wayland:

Consider the bolded part the "thread name" lol, no point in starting a new thread over this.

I usually use X11, then disable the compositor before playing games (KDE), but recently i've been having some issues on X with programs starting on the second monitor so i'm trying Wayland to see if that happens here as well... So far no, and the side effect is that other games kinda run better and smoother on Wayland.

Except GW2. It has this annoying microstutter issue where it's smooth, but then for a split second stutters.

Any idea how i can idk, optimise it?

Is there a proton version that works better on Wayland maybe or some launch options?

Those are my launch options now:

gamemoderun WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR=1 DXVK_ASYNC=1 %command% -provider Portal

on GE-Proton7-43

Anyone recommend some other proton i can try, maybe some other launch options or something else?

I'm on Wayland Plasma with GE 7.43 and it works perfectly. I'm only using the DXVK_ASYNC=1 option.

(However, I have a 6650XT card with an AMD Ryzen5 3600, and enabled G4+BAR in BIOS. According to the boot log, it is working.)

Edited by zistenz.1945
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, zistenz.1945 said:

I'm on Wayland Plasma with GE 7.43 and it works perfectly. I'm only using the DXVK_ASYNC=1 option.

(However, I have a 6650XT card with an AMD Ryzen5 3600, and enabled G4+BAR in BIOS. According to the boot log, it is working.)

I'm using a Ryzen 5 5600g for everything, don't have a dedicated GPU. Maybe it's because of that. Though, Bioshock 2 remastered works great lol, idk... I'll check if i can enable G4 and BAR in bios if it isn't already.

EDIT: Well, 4G and BAR support isn't working. It gets stuck in a boot loop and I have to disable it back again. For some reason, even if I disable CSM, it turns itself back on.... And it needs to be off for 4G and BAR to work. I guess that's messing the boot sequence. Bummer... 

Edited by Veprovina.4876

EDIT: Well, 4G and BAR support isn't working. It gets stuck in a boot loop and I have to disable it back again. For some reason, even if I disable CSM, it turns itself back on.... And it needs to be off for 4G and BAR to work. I guess that's messing the boot sequence. Bummer... 

Hm, maybe you don't have UEFI configured and enabled? UEFI (GPT boot) and CSM (MBT boot) doesn't mix well. See here the differences, for example.

I forgot to mention, but I had to update my BIOS (of my ASRock X570 Phantom 4 mobo) to the latest version (v4.50) too, because my much older version didn't had the CSM control.

Sometimes enabling both 4G + BAR causes problems too. I tried to disable BAR (only 4G is enabled now) and I didn't notice any differences.

Edit: It seems, the 5600G (or any APU) doesn't support BAR without a direct graphics card, so this is why your system doesn't boot properly.

Edited by zistenz.1945
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, zistenz.1945 said:

Edit: It seems, the 5600G (or any APU) doesn't support BAR without a direct graphics card, so this is why your system doesn't boot properly.

Yes, it appears so. I have a dedicated GPU though, but an old one, and R7 260x. I don't use it in linux, it's just passed through to the virtual machine i need it for, but it too probably needs CSM enabled to function i think. So the dedicated GPU also probably causes problems with it too.

Oh well, i'll deal with the stutters...

12 hours ago, zistenz.1945 said:

I played the game on GE Proton7-51 on KDE Wayland, everything runs very smoothly. AMD Ryzen 5600x - RX 6600 - Mesa 23.0.0-pm1599.347.1 - Open SUSE Tumbleweed. Steam launch options - RADV_PERFTEST=gpl RADV_PERFTEST=nggc gamemoderun %command% -provider Portal