GW2 Crafting system enrichment

Elsa.3091

Greetings to ArenaNet Team from a long time fan of Guild Wars games!I would like to thank ArenaNet for creating something wonderful as Guild Wars 1 and Guild Wars 2. I've played both games for a long time and thoroughly enjoyed the creative and unique content in both games. I am especially happy that GW2 is continuing to focus and delivers an engaging story line, along with amazing characters that take the player though the new content and quests.You have put a lot of effort into personalizing the story line and making us players feel, like we matter; like our actions and interactions are really happening in GW world. I love this type of engagement feeling in GW2, and I would love to see this type of interaction also created for another aspect of GW2 game: crafting.Crafting system has gone though a lot of changes and improvements, and in no way am I suggesting that you change the current crafting system. I would like to simply propose a way to enrich the current crafting system, by creating the same personalized content that other aspects of GW2 currently have.I want to propose creating an engaging story line: a series of quests which will walk the player from level 1 of any crafting profession all the way to the Grandmaster level 500 of that crafting profession. Additionally, each mile stone (Novice, Initiate, and so on..) of a crafting profession should bring a small benefit to the player: a new passive skill which can give player benefits either during crafting or gathering.Engaging story line: Crafting is something a lot of players do to get extra cool items from the GW2 content (mini pets, weapons, auras etc.) or players do crafting to stay competitive in GW battles (ascended armor, legendary weapons, food etc.). This area has so much untapped potential, to create an interesting story and engaging new characters! Crafting items to reach level 200, or 300 should no longer feel like a chore, but instead should be something a player can look forward, to experience a new story, something funny, something which can create more depth to daily lives of characters in GW2. Instead of saving the world from dragons and dealing with serious matters like evil Gods; players can explore lives of people whom they already saved. To engage players further and make their choices matter, decisions made during the crafting quests can affect types of passive skills a hero will receive upon the quest completion.Crafting story content flow

Potential passive skills: Players please feel free to add your suggestions⦁ +1 extra item gathered with 50% chance of occurring, when trying to gather specific material.⦁ Recipes of specific level will require less materials to craft.⦁ 50% chance to get an extra very rare material from specific nodes.⦁ cloak yourself for 4 seconds in shadow when gathering specific materials nodes, all attacking enemies are disengaged.Other important features⦁ Player does not have to complete story line in order to increase their crafting skill. They can continue increasing crafting skill without completing crafting quests.⦁ In order to get passive ability player must complete crafting quest (you still have to earn your skill!).⦁ Other rewards: a potion which will increase their crafting level (sort of like a boost).Benefits of expanding and enriching crafting quest line:⦁ New and engaging way to look at the crafting progress⦁ Personalized players crafting experience, make their time count =)⦁ Players, which have already completed Grandmastery of their skill, can still revisit and experience new story + get benefits.⦁ Players can revisit old content. At low crafting level, you need to go back to old areas with that level of crafting materials.⦁ New ways for players to get extra crafting items and help players with expensive legendary/ascended item crafting.⦁ New ways for players to get existing rare recipes.Obstacles of expanding and enriching crafting quest line:⦁ Limited resources: if you work on this content you cannot complete another content.⦁ Possible player disinterest: This suggestion is just my opinion, I would ask other players to see if this direction is worth while.⦁ Other challenges: integrating new passive skills into the game.⦁ consider passive skills rewards carefully, you want to give player a boost, but you do not want to break GW2 economy.Last words: A person can be a hero saving one dress at a time, perfecting new recipe or helping a friend find new rare crafting materials, dragon slayer skills are not required. ;) wink

Archived