Amazon Servers

Ya Ya Yeah.7381

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazon servers fixed skill lag in 3 way battles, that was asked from anet ever since day 1, i am sorry aussies get more lag tho, that kinda sucks, amazon have different host locations for their services, maybe they could look into that, me personally get way better ping and overall better performance ever since the changed their host and skill lag in EBG is completely fixed so big not to this thread.

4.5k five minutes ago blue borderlands 3 way. Never got lag outside of 3 way smc fight before. I guess no more big fights. Everything running fast as can be except GW2. I'm guessing they already know that it really is ruining game play for some people. Had it good for 5 years. Here's to hoping they fix it somehow. NA nw region here.

@Klipso.8653 said:We pushed up a staircase at smc and I had 3 frames before I was dead, kitten needs to fix

I think you misunderstand how aspects of the world work here. No servers + router + service provider network systems combined, have been invented yet that can handle information from 120-180 locations and 120-180 PCs and reliably maintain a steady or even reasonable framerate for every participant at a fee reasonable for you to afford at your income level.

• 2 weeks later...

And it's back, seems every night for the last 5 nights or so its starts around 7 pm MT. Super Ping spikes. NW region NA, blue BL tonight, last night was red BLs. I was hoping since the last time I made the post here you guys fixed it in a couple of days. It's definitely not on my end. Please fix again :)

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Overall, ANet's data shows better ping/uptime for more people than before, slightly worse for a few, and (as with any transition) far worse for a fraction. Additionally, in many cases, the increased latency isn't because ANet is using Amazing/AWS, but because of the transition; apparently some networks are slow to update to recognize the change.

Regardless of what others are experiencing (good or bad), your situation needs its own troubleshooting:

• Run PingPlotter or similar software to track down the pathing and data loss for your route
  • Send that data to ANet via a support ticket.
  • Optional: also post on the forums (sometimes a fellow player can diagnose the issue)

@"SlippyCheeze.5483" wroteIt's possible that the problem is anet, ... [however] ... the Internet is built in a way that three to five companies handle your traffic, if not more, just inside the continental USA. There are
lots
of places that the problem could spring from that neither end is responsible directly for. :(

has a good guide for identifying where the problem is, but if you have trouble with that feel free to post screenshots from it and we can help work out where it is.

Further Reading

PingPlotter doesn't work on Windows 10.

• 2 weeks later...

@"XenesisII.1540" said:Still getting lag almost every night now from 9-11pm.It's like the time the server hamsters change shifts or something. :\

"server hamsters"....I'm stealing that. It's mine now :)

Truthfully, though....I hit lag occasionally, and not just in WvW. Hit it doing the meta in Tangled Path recently. Was nuts. Did the testing with tracert and it seemed to be at Anet/Amazon end.

@misterman.1530 said:

@"XenesisII.1540" said:Still getting lag almost every night now from 9-11pm.It's like the time the server hamsters change shifts or something. :\

Truthfully, though....I hit lag occasionally, and not just in WvW. Hit it doing the meta in Tangled Path recently. Was nuts. Did the testing with tracert and it seemed to be at Anet/Amazon end.

lol XDYeah it started up for me when they moved the servers to amazon, I usually would only get lag in the 3 way smc fights, now it's just wherever on whatever map at prime time na.

@XenesisII.1540 said:

@XenesisII.1540 said:Still getting lag almost every night now from 9-11pm.It's like the time the server hamsters change shifts or something. :\

lol XDYeah it started up for me when they moved the servers to amazon, I usually would only get lag in the 3 way smc fights, now it's just wherever on whatever map at prime time na.

That's when I see it. And couple with the fact we are on T1 this week...you get the T1-blob-lag (or whatever is causing lag in T1-ville) and the lag-lag at the same time.

Fun :)

Hehehe, what I find interesting is that everyone assumes you're on even footing with ping - little do they know they are dying to someone who has 4k ping XDThat said I do wish these superbly fluctuating pings would get under control soon. None of my leaps connect - it's like they totally miss the mark which I am guessing is from the desync in location so I've sometimes had to change weapons or skills or just outright use the leaps for defensive purposes instead.

I did some testing into my terrible connection to amazon servers a couple months ago. I was getting constant dial-up-like pings, and huge packet loss/spikes, after certain hours during the day(usually ~8pm CST) in the game (not just wvw). Normally I would get 40-90 ping even in the largest map Queued WvW fights in Tier1/2 any other time of the day. Pinging/tracert everything except the game servers yielded completely normal results, but there was terrible packet loss and ping to any Gw2 game server.

Then I remembered that I have a VPN subscription still going, so I turned that on and then connected. Lo and behold, lag, ping spikes, packet loss, GONE. I was suddenly playing at any time of the day with completely normal ping again. Magic, eh?

So it would appear, though I could be wrong as I am not networking expert, that amazon servers are throttling my ISP's network traffic during prime time USA(~8pm CST). Completely shit thing to do, I mean, what's the point of my gigabit internet if it is throttled down to dial-up speeds w/ huge packet loss? I think we'll be seeing more of this in the future.

For now I am avoiding it with the VPN, but I don't want to run the vpn all the time, and it should not be neccessary. Not sure who to contact about the problem. Anet customer service was completely useless on the subject. Perhaps I could contact my ISP....

Archived