Amazon Servers

Ya Ya Yeah.7381

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@XenesisII.1540 said:

@XenesisII.1540 said:Still getting lag almost every night now from 9-11pm.It's like the time the server hamsters change shifts or something. :\

"server hamsters"....I'm stealing that. It's mine now :)

Truthfully, though....I hit lag occasionally, and not just in WvW. Hit it doing the meta in Tangled Path recently. Was nuts. Did the testing with tracert and it seemed to be at Anet/Amazon end.

lol XDYeah it started up for me when they moved the servers to amazon, I usually would only get lag in the 3 way smc fights, now it's just wherever on whatever map at prime time na.

I know I'm being repetitious, but the very best thing you can do is grab PingPlotter or a similar tool, and use them to identify exactly where the issues are happening. If it is something to do with AWS, which is entirely possible, this will help prove it to ANet - and will help ANet prove it to the AWS support people when they call them. (Yeah, they get to sit on the phone to tech support for some of this stuff, just like you with your ISP. It isn't any more thrilling as a sysadmin, I promise.)

If you are unsure how to do so, the /ip command in-game will give you the address of your current instance server, and https://pingplotter.com/fix-your-network is a (badly named) guide to tracking down where the problem is, working out who to talk to, and getting them to address the problem.

Don't pay any mind to the "your" part of "fix your network" in the guide description. They shoulda called it "find network or server issues" instead, but hey, I guess they got their own tech writers crying into their coffee by now. ;)

I don't know if it is just coincidence or not but the last couple of times I have posted with super ping, I have put the timezone the region and what map i was playing on when it happened and usually its fixed in a within a few days. Thank you again Anet if it was you. /fingers crossed if it wasn't :)

@Crazy.6029 said:I don't know if it is just coincidence or not but the last couple of times I have posted with super ping, I have put the timezone the region and what map i was playing on when it happened and usually its fixed in a within a few days. Thank you again Anet if it was you. /fingers crossed if it wasn't :)

Generally, ANet do read these forums, and take things seriously. So, if it was something they had influence over, it is entirely possible they did respond to your post - or just to their internal monitoring alerting them to the issue, as you coincidentally posted about it.

The same is true if it was third party: these network providers usually page someone like me when things are going bad, and we work hard to fix the problem as fast as we possibly can. Because, like the plumber, when things are knee deep in kittens, we get called. :)

Part of the reason I encourage people to do the testing is because the one place where this can go unnoticed until someone calls is the connection between your home and the ISP network: that link isn't easy to monitor, and problems can slip past automated alerting, so calling their helpdesk is sometimes required to kickstart getting it fixed, where the core network is closely watched and thing'll be fixed automatically.

• 2 weeks later...

My case is this:

I am playing from Indonesia.Usually I get ping about 300, but stable.

Now, I've been getting lag spikes in GW2 (GW2 only, other games are fine).In short interval, my ping sky-rocketed to 1100, and goes back to 300. It keeps doing that for the entire session.

Here is my Pingplotter snapshot:snapshot.PNG?dl=0

The packet loss occured relatively on hops between Amazon IPs

I know it is Amazon IP by checking through http://geoiplookup.net/ip/

I also have just submited a ticket of it. Hopefully ArenaNet can use it as reference.

Cheers.

@"Quella Persona.6297" said:Now, I've been getting lag spikes in GW2 (GW2 only, other games are fine).In short interval, my ping sky-rocketed to 1100, and goes back to 300. It keeps doing that for the entire session.

Here is my Pingplotter snapshot:snapshot.PNG?dl=0

Good work submitting the ticket. For reference, though, the bug jump happens between the LAS-b21 and DLS-b21 nodes on the Telia network. Telia are a third party transit provider for many people, and it looks like they are what sit between fast.net / lynx.net and AWS in your path to the game servers.

That would be slowing down most significantly while Telia move the traffic from Los Angeles to Dallas, which is ... not 70ms of network transit time away. So, Telia are the pain point. If, indeed, fast.net and/or lynx.net are your ISP, I'd also take this up with their support team.

Ultimately, SingTel -- who run Telia -- are the party at fault, and that is neither your ISP, nor AWS/Amazon, nor ANet/NCSoft. Fun times for all. (Though the good news is that Telia care a lot about this sort of issue -- slow traffic in general inside their own network -- and will have automatic alerting when things are unreasonably slow, and likely are working to fix the problem as we write.)

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@"Quella Persona.6297" said:Now, I've been getting lag spikes in GW2 (GW2 only, other games are fine).In short interval, my ping sky-rocketed to 1100, and goes back to 300. It keeps doing that for the entire session.

Here is my Pingplotter snapshot:
snapshot.PNG?dl=0

Good work submitting the ticket. For reference, though, the bug jump happens between the LAS-b21 and DLS-b21 nodes on the Telia network. Telia are a third party transit provider for many people, and it looks like they are what sit between fast.net / lynx.net and AWS in your path to the game servers.

That would be slowing down most significantly while Telia move the traffic from Los Angeles to Dallas, which is ... not 70ms of network transit time away. So, Telia are the pain point. If, indeed, fast.net and/or lynx.net are your ISP, I'd also take this up with their support team.

Ultimately, SingTel -- who run Telia -- are the party at fault, and that is neither your ISP, nor AWS/Amazon, nor ANet/NCSoft. Fun times for all. (Though the good news is that Telia care a lot about this sort of issue -- slow traffic in general inside their own network -- and will have automatic alerting when things are unreasonably slow, and likely are working to fix the problem as we write.)

I see.Hopefully they can fix it.

Update :Weirdly enough, if I use WTFast and choose the server on Eastern America. The lag spikes is gone. I get stable 260.However if I let the WTFast choose the best server by ping, it doesn't fix the lag spikes.

@Quella Persona.6297 said:

@Quella Persona.6297 said:Now, I've been getting lag spikes in GW2 (GW2 only, other games are fine).In short interval, my ping sky-rocketed to 1100, and goes back to 300. It keeps doing that for the entire session.

Here is my Pingplotter snapshot:
snapshot.PNG?dl=0

I see.Hopefully they can fix it.

Update :Weirdly enough, if I use WTFast and choose the server on Eastern America. The lag spikes is gone. I get stable 260.However if I let the WTFast choose the best server by ping, it doesn't fix the lag spikes.

WTFast uses "VPN" technology to override the routing decisions your ISP would normally make, so instead of going direct from your computer to the server, you go me => wtfast => server. The path from you to the inbound WTFast gateway you are using, or the path from the outbound WTFast gateway to the server, may bypass the congestion point.

In this case it sounds like one of those two still crosses the bad patch of Internet; it isn't clear if that is before or after their thing, because I don't know enough to be certain if they use the same input gateway for all target servers, or different ones.

(Unless you mean the "WTFast server", in which case you should definitely take this up with your ISP, because that would confirm that the route from you to some-but-not-all WTFast servers is causing problems.)

Archived