Please include purchase with bitcoin

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Vivilett.8509 said:For a up to date company please include purchases with bit coin

Some of your big spenders would purchase more

It's up to their retailer, DigitalRiver. And they aren't likely to offer bitcoin until there's some stability in the market; it's just too easy for them to lose money on any given deal. Safer for them to let us convert our other currencies.

This is exactly why they wouldn't implement it. Its way to volatile as it is. Perhaps in the future it will be more stable.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Vivilett.8509" said:have you seen the venezuela currency vs bitcoin?
  • 1 bit coin = 385,034,304.75 bolivar = US$9600

Venezuelan government set up their own virtual "currency", but it's basically selling their oil reserves in advance, a thing they have done before. It's a scheme to make the regime and its friends rich. Government officials themselves don't believe in it, they move money from their country to Europe for laundry, like it happens in many dictatorships.

@"Vivilett.8509" said:Great comments by everyone , agreed countries like the US who have a stable economy should not use currency like bitcoin but counties like Venezuela with the unstable economy would benifit from a bitcoin set up , has more value than thier currency at this time

Companies should look into it to benefit the owners or stock holders

Funny you should say that, block chain system is extremely inefficient electricity wise, and gpu cards are much more expensive because they all used as miners, in many many new cryptocurrencies.Venezuela’s “petro” undermines other cryptocurrencies – and international sanctionshttps://www.brookings.edu/blog/techtank/2018/03/09/venezuelas-petro-undermines-other-cryptocurrencies-and-international-sanctions/

I just stumbled over news about a Bitcoin Conference not accepting Bitcoins as payment method anymore, one reason is the exorbitant fees that comes with each transaction, 30USD and more.

http://www.businessinsider.de/bitcoin-conference-stops-accepting-bitcoin-network-fees-congestion-2018-1?r=US&IR=T

I don't even see Bitcoin as a currency, its characteristics are more like gold. You could probably send a nugget to Anet and receive gems in exchange cheaper than using Bitcoins.

@"Scrivs.4501" said:Funny, if only you realized that you have just literally described your own fiat currency as well.

Let me be very clear right here: ALL money are "fiat". Limited supply, gold standard, it's all irrelevant. Value isn't a physical property, value is a perception. And because of that no currency has inherently "guaranteed" value. Each and every one can crash, regardless of it is backed up by something or not. At the very least, because heavily selling the backing up commodity would drive its own price down.

Practically speaking, the value of money is better backed by people who are convinced of the economy tied to this currency. That's why "fiat" money are actually safer than cryptocurrencies. Cryptos are just financial instruments used for speculating on the markets. It's part of why they are so volatile and this, in turn, is why many companies don't want take the risk of accepting them.

@Scrivs.4501 said:Ever since Nixon cancelled the gold standard in 1971, the dollar hasn't been backed by physical gold anymore. The Euro never has been. The only thing that you could say the dollar is sort of backed by right now, is oil. But because more and more Middle-Eastern countries are dropping the dollar and are now only accepting the Russian ruble or the Chinese yen for their oil, the petrodollar is plummeting. Which is one of the many reasons why America has been starting so many illegal wars there.

Basically, the USD has value because the US government says it does so the dollar is backed by the dollar. That may seem like a circular argument (and it largely is) but considering the US government is AA rated (we used to be AAA but lost that when congress caused a shutdown) it tends to get to do that. The only way the USD would not have value is if the USG fell apart and that would lead to a LOT of other problems.

@Menadena.7482 said:

@Vivilett.8509 said:For a up to date company please include purchases with bit coin

Some of your big spenders would purchase more

Why? Currently Bitcoin sells for like 20,000+ USD (with a much higher forecast projection than that) and the game, even an ultimate expansion, is like 100 USD. What could you buy with even 1 BC?

As an illustration to the volatility point: Bitcoin is trading today at around 9000 USD + or - a few hundred. It hasn't been near 20K since it hit its current peak a month ago. A business that counts on a relatively stable and predictive cash flow would be insane to deal with that kind of volatility.

@Menadena.7482 said:

Why? Currently Bitcoin sells for like 20,000+ USD (with a much higher forecast projection than that) and the game, even an ultimate expansion, is like 100 USD. What could you buy with even 1 BC?

While it has already been said that bitcoin isn't worth this much anymore, just like you don't buy things on in increments of dollars with no cents, bitcoin can and is broken down incredibly small. For example for a project I did I bought 10 bucks worth of bitcoin and spent some of it. I still have 1.20 left, give or take based on the market. That is .0000124 bitcoins.

@Scrivs.4501 said:

@Doctor Hide.6345 said:From my understanding, it's not regulated. There is no connection to something physical other than a company saying it has worth which means nothing in the real world. Also, it seems shady as hell. I don't understand why people want companies to use it when it's a virtual currency that only has value because people say it does.

Funny, if only you realized that you have just literally described your own fiat currency as well.

No, I'm definitely not a proponent of bitcoin, but if the above criteria are what make you not have faith in a currency, then you have some serious rethinking to do about your own.

Ever since Nixon cancelled the gold standard in 1971, the dollar hasn't been backed by physical gold anymore. The Euro never has been. The only thing that you could say the dollar is sort of backed by right now, is oil. But because more and more Middle-Eastern countries are dropping the dollar and are now only accepting the Russian ruble or the Chinese yen for their oil, the petrodollar is plummeting. Which is one of the many reasons why America has been starting so many illegal wars there.

Second, you might think that because bitcoin is more volatile than the dollar or the euro, it is therefore more unreliable. But that's because there's a much larger machine behind the latter two that's working around the clock to keep them in place.The American government is bankrupt, and has been for quite a while. This because its debt is greater than its anual GDP (21.7 trillion versus 19.5 trillion respectively). In other words, its debt is about 2 trillion (that's 12 zeros) greater than its actual market value.If we'd be talking about a company everyone would've realized it was bankrupt a long time ago. But somehow a government manages to keep its people from coming to this realization.

Do you know why this is? Because its central bank, the Federal Reserve (which isn't actually federal at all, but privately owned) can print as much money as it wants (because it's no longer backed by physical gold) and then lends it to the American government with interest. In other words, every single dollar that enters the American economy carries debt, and for every single dollar that the American government borrows, they have to pay interest to the Federal Reserve.And the exact same thing goes for the European Centeal Bank and all European governments as well.

And do you know why we think that our money has value, even though it hasn't actually been interchangable with physical gold for over 40 years and has been largely represented by digital (virtual) numbers on a computer screen? Because some government says it has, and we believe it.

Again, bitcoin obviously isn't the answer and I wouldn't recommend any company or person to use it or invest in it.But it's high time for us to realize that our own currencies are just as unreliable. I don't know how many more financial crises and recessions we have to live through to finally come to the realization that this system is apparently heavily flawed...

I would say they are not unreliable when comparing them to bitcoin. Overall from a financial standpoint only yes that may be partially accurate.

It would be a risk that most companies would not take currently and one large than they might be able to mitigate which is the first reason they would wait to see if it stabilizes more and they can find a system or tool or technique to mitigate that risk more. If that happens you might see that start more in companies like this one.

What is more reliable than the humans that administer say... everything. Do you find other humans to be reliable? If you have an answer for that you are most of the way there :)

@schmots.6803 said:

While it has already been said that bitcoin isn't worth this much anymore, just like you don't buy things on in increments of dollars with no cents, bitcoin can and is broken down incredibly small. For example for a project I did I bought 10 bucks worth of bitcoin and spent some of it. I still have 1.20 left, give or take based on the market. That is .0000124 bitcoins.

I know you do not spend whole bitcoins all the time but then you are expecting anet to mess with small change. :)

@Menadena.7482 said:

I know you do not spend whole bitcoins all the time but then you are expecting anet to mess with small change. :)Small change? Simple math.. 20 dollars at todays current 9,227.63 per bit coin is 0.0026. Your anet messing with "small change" statement just shows you don't understand the subject. Again, a "whole" bitcoin today is 9,227.63. To expect that to be the only way the currency is exchanged is naive.

@schmots.6803 said:

I know you do not spend whole bitcoins all the time but then you are expecting anet to mess with small change. :)Small change? Simple math.. 20 dollars at todays current 9,227.63 per bit coin is 0.0026. Your anet messing with "small change" statement just shows you don't understand the subject. Again, a "whole" bitcoin today is 9,227.63. To expect that to be the only way the currency is exchanged is naive.

Just as you just proved you have never read Douglas Adams? :-)

[i was debating using the phrase 'fiddling small change' when saying what they would not deal with.]

@ImTasty.2163 said:

@"Vivilett.8509" said:have you seen the venezuela currency vs bitcoin?
  • 1 bit coin = 385,034,304.75 bolivar = US$9600

Just thought I would like to add to this. This post was made one day ago. In that time. I decided to look up how much 1 bitcoin will get you now and it has dropped to 9106.

If you look at the graph, you'll see the price varying about that much each day, with some bigger jumps/dips.

That's why DigitalRiver and other "standard" retailers aren't touching it. It's still more of a speculative investment rather than a true currency.

Will probably never happen. Steam offered buying with Bitcoins for a while but removed it again recently because the value of Bitcoin changes too rapidly and transaction fees are too high.

@TexZero.7910 said:Ah yes, monopoly money......

Please Anet i have too much monopoly money, It says 500 on it so let me buy 100 copies of PoF. Thanks!Sincerely, non-government backed currency.government money is just 0 and 1s on the computer nowadays, too. Totally worthless like crypto currency.Both stuff has value because enough people believe in it

Archived