Please include purchase with bitcoin

@Malediktus.9250 said:Will probably never happen. Steam offered buying with Bitcoins for a while but removed it again recently because the value of Bitcoin changes too rapidly and transaction fees are too high.

@"TexZero.7910" said:Ah yes, monopoly money......

Please Anet i have too much monopoly money, It says 500 on it so let me buy 100 copies of PoF. Thanks!Sincerely, non-government backed currency.government money is just 0 and 1s on the computer nowadays, too. Totally worthless like crypto currency.Both stuff has value because enough people believe in it

Keep telling yourself that.

Money backed by a government is backed by "the full faith and credit of (insert county name)". Those are not just flowery words.

When (not if) a given currency fails who do you want backing it? A major nation state that does not want their currency to fail or ..... remind me again who backs bitcoin?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Menadena.7482 said:

@Malediktus.9250 said:Will probably never happen. Steam offered buying with Bitcoins for a while but removed it again recently because the value of Bitcoin changes too rapidly and transaction fees are too high.

@"TexZero.7910" said:Ah yes, monopoly money......

Please Anet i have too much monopoly money, It says 500 on it so let me buy 100 copies of PoF. Thanks!Sincerely, non-government backed currency.government money is just 0 and 1s on the computer nowadays, too. Totally worthless like crypto currency.Both stuff has value because enough people believe in it

Keep telling yourself that.

Money backed by a government is backed by "the full faith and credit of (insert county name)". Those are not just flowery words.

When (not if) a given currency fails who do you want backing it? A major nation state that does not want their currency to fail or ..... remind me again who backs bitcoin?Government currencies fail all the time. Most countries have more than one currency reform per century. Back in the old days you had gold and silver coins at the very least, nowadays you have 0 and 1s on a bank account and some cheap iron/nickel coins + some paper you can burn in the masonry heater during bad times.

Its really not that much better than people thinking crypto currency is the future. And personally I would prefer a decentralized currency before any government controlled currency any day. It is just that Bitcoin and similar currencies are not very useable yet. I am not invested in any crypto currency, but I very much hope this will be the future.

The government is not our friend (no matter which country you live in). Taxes are theft, the justice systems are a sad joke and Orwell 1984 is becoming reality faster than ever in all 1st world countries.

@Menadena.7482 said:

Why? Currently Bitcoin sells for like 20,000+ USD (with a much higher forecast projection than that) and the game, even an ultimate expansion, is like 100 USD. What could you buy with even 1 BC?

While it has already been said that bitcoin isn't worth this much anymore, just like you don't buy things on in increments of dollars with no cents, bitcoin can and is broken down incredibly small. For example for a project I did I bought 10 bucks worth of bitcoin and spent some of it. I still have 1.20 left, give or take based on the market. That is .0000124 bitcoins.

I know you do not spend whole bitcoins all the time but then you are expecting anet to mess with small change. :)

facepalm

Consider if you took $50 to Venezuela and converted it to their currency, you'd be a millionare.

@Leo G.4501 said:

Why? Currently Bitcoin sells for like 20,000+ USD (with a much higher forecast projection than that) and the game, even an ultimate expansion, is like 100 USD. What could you buy with even 1 BC?

While it has already been said that bitcoin isn't worth this much anymore, just like you don't buy things on in increments of dollars with no cents, bitcoin can and is broken down incredibly small. For example for a project I did I bought 10 bucks worth of bitcoin and spent some of it. I still have 1.20 left, give or take based on the market. That is .0000124 bitcoins.

I know you do not spend whole bitcoins all the time but then you are expecting anet to mess with small change. :)

facepalm

Consider if you took $50 to Venezuela and converted it to their currency, you'd be a millionare.

the real question is... how much is a loaf of bread in the bolívar?

Hi allThe issue is bitcoin I'm at the moment would mean your putting around 10k into the game. Also from comments above it is not used for investment main use it's on the dark web paying for illegal or criminal activities. That's 96% of its usage normal web counts for 4% of internet usage. So investing into it it's an ethical decision. It will not go away as crime will not go away.

@Dante.3498 said:Hi allThe issue is bitcoin I'm at the moment would mean your putting around 10k into the game. Also from comments above it is not used for investment main use it's on the dark web paying for illegal or criminal activities. That's 96% of its usage normal web counts for 4% of internet usage. So investing into it it's an ethical decision. It will not go away as crime will not go away.Monero is used for crime since it is completly anonymous (a good thing if you ask me). Bitcoin can be traced back until the start of the blockchain once you can connect one wallet to a real person (usually every bitcoin exchange wants your real name and stuff nowadays)Also you dont have to put 10k at once, 1 Bitcoin can be split into 100m Satoshis. So 10k / 100m = 0.001$ would be the smallest value if 1 Bitcoin is worth 10k

Thanks good expansion on the info.There are ways to make a wallet let's say anonymous but anyway that's is all different topic.Paying using cryptocurrancy is probably not the right form till regulators step in. Obviously after that it will pose so many issues the market might change direction.

@Ashen.2907 said:

@Doctor Hide.6345 said:I have had bitcoin explained to me like three times now, and I still don't fully get it. From my understanding, it's not regulated. There is no connection to something physical other than a company saying it has worth which means nothing in the real world. Also, it seems shady as hell. I don't understand why people want companies to use it when it's a virtual currency that only has value because people say it does.

To be fair, the US dollar is not backed by anything physical, and has value because a company (the federal reserve) says so.

This is a gross simplification and you know it. The US currency is backed by the prestige of the US government which is significant enough that other countries will purchase bills from the US in order to back their own currencies.

Bitcoin however has no prestige and as such is subject to whims of investors.

@Crinn.7864 said:

@Doctor Hide.6345 said:I have had bitcoin explained to me like three times now, and I still don't fully get it. From my understanding, it's not regulated. There is no connection to something physical other than a company saying it has worth which means nothing in the real world. Also, it seems shady as hell. I don't understand why people want companies to use it when it's a virtual currency that only has value because people say it does.

To be fair, the US dollar is not backed by anything physical, and has value because a company (the federal reserve) says so.

This is a gross simplification and you know it. The US currency is backed by the prestige of the US government which is significant enough that other countries will purchase bills from the US in order to back their own currencies.

Exactly!

Sure the USD will fall at some point. Just like the sun will die. For the foreseeable future though it is a currency backed by a pretty big organization (both in the US and abroad) that bitcoin does not have. When it does fall there will be much bigger problems going on then how much the USD is trading at. While nobody here can see into the future it is probably a safe bet of it outlasting bitcoin because so many people are invested in keeping it afloat, there are more people with USDs that have even HEARD the word 'bitcoin'.

@Dante.3498 said:Thanks good expansion on the info.There are ways to make a wallet let's say anonymous but anyway that's is all different topic.Paying using cryptocurrancy is probably not the right form till regulators step in. Obviously after that it will pose so many issues the market might change direction.

The fact that government cannot control crypto currencies is what makes them a great idea. Governments need less power not more.

There is a long history of companies starting to accept Bitcoin following pressure and then no one actually spending any to make it worth the hassle. Anyway, Bitcoin is treated more like a speculative asset these days. The idea of microtransactions as Bitcoin's "killer app" is pretty much dead.

Despite what I think of the technology (wasteful and unnecessary) or economic policy (bad) behind Bitcoin, the number one argument behind not accepting it is that it's been shown to not pay out. The relatively bad public image of the currency from malware, an association with darknet markets and the recent bubble don't help things out either.

Pretty sure goverments all around the world are working on sabotaging cryptocurrencies. Be it by mass releasing bad press to create a bad image, closing exchanges, possibly manipulating the exchange rates, creating fake ICOs so people loose confidence in crypto etc. There are many way you can make crypto not worthwile to the masses without the ability to outright ban it. But they have no choice, if a crypto currency "wins", they loose a lot of power and most importantly cannot print money anymore, which would destroy many debt based nations.

@"Malediktus.9250" said:Pretty sure goverments all around the world are working on sabotaging cryptocurrencies. Be it by mass releasing bad press to create a bad image, closing exchanges, possibly manipulating the exchange rates, creating fake ICOs so people loose confidence in crypto etc. There are many way you can make crypto not worthwile to the masses without the ability to outright ban it. But they have no choice, if a crypto currency "wins", they loose a lot of power and most importantly cannot print money anymore, which would destroy many debt based nations.

ICOs are so frequently bad just because they are unregulated securities and this is what an unregulated marketplace looks like: making one is trivial and any conman can do it. Exchanges have frequent problems because it turns out running a secure financial site is really hard and most of the early ones were completely amateurish. (Plus, it is a difficult business to stay liquid in, you can't pay all your costs in bitcoin, you need to be making cash, which depends on the notoriously volatile market.) Cryptocurrencies have an image problem because most people first heard about them either through some kind of criminal activity making the news, or from a politically motivated evangelist of the technology. Regardless of your own views, you have to recognize that different people have different political viewpoints and that is likely to color their opinion of the subject. Bitcoin has been associated with anarcho-capitalists and libertarians since the beginning, which is a selling point to some, but off putting to others.

No cryptocurrency is in any position to take over any economy right now, they cannot handle the transactions. Cryptocurrencies have horrific scaling problems. (The lightning network, meant to fix these also has critical scaling and/or security problems.) National currencies also have a major value that cryptocurrencies do not: they are required by citizens of those counties to pay taxes. If a major nation state did want to tank cryptocurrencies there are many options. They could have just dumped large quantities of seized coins onto the market at once to crater it, do a 51% attack on a major cryptocurrency like bitcoin or just plain outlaw it.

Trying to stay on topic: some people definitely care very much about Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. However, Anet needs to make decisions based on its own financial best interests. They have an agreement with a payment provider right now that doesn't seem to accept Bitcoin, so they may need to renegotiate their deal in order to additionally accept Bitcoin from another provider, or convince their current provider to do it. Neither of these is trivial, and I think it is very questionable how much there is to gain. At the very least, now is probably a very bad time to start, as a lot of people are nervous after the recent fluctuations in value and trying to figure out exactly where Bitcoin will land as blockchain-fever dies down.

The main issue with bitcoin isn't with the market volatility, the fact that it is volatile means it has room for growth and has a fixed supply, unlike fiat which can be print whenever government feel like it, unlimited supply. Have you ever wonder why your salary isn't going up as fast as the cost of living is?

The main issue with bitcoin is with the network fee and scalability. Steam and many companies dropped bitcoin due to it. Even with the lightning network, it is still incapable of handling very large transaction and this will still become a issue as it scales up.

From business perspective, accepting bitcoin now is still a reasonable option since lightning network did in fact lowered the network fee to a acceptable level, to take advantage of the potential gain. Businesses can always revisit the payment option when lightning network reached its limit.

Here's the thing about all the theories above: it doesn't matter for the OP's request, which is simply to be able to pay for GW2 expansions and gems using BitCoin. To answer that, it doesn't matter if you or I think it's going to be the next best thing, if it's the best of the non-fiat options, if it's going to be better than government-backed currencies. It only matters if DigitalRiver (and ANet) can run their business more successfully by going through the trouble of adding another currency and by choosing that next currency to be Bitcoin.

And there's absolutely no reason for DR to take a risk of being an early adopter. They aren't going to lose out on oodles of profit if they wait to see what happens, whereas they would be gambling to opt in.

(Besides that, a lot of the theories above are more about what people hope to be true soon, rather than about what is actually true so far in the marketplace.)

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Here's the thing about all the theories above: it doesn't matter for the OP's request, which is simply to be able to pay for GW2 expansions and gems using BitCoin. To answer that, it doesn't matter if you or I think it's going to be the next best thing, if it's the best of the non-fiat options, if it's going to be better than government-backed currencies. It only matters if DigitalRiver (and ANet) can run their business more successfully by going through the trouble of adding another currency and by choosing that next currency to be Bitcoin.

And there's absolutely no reason for DR to take a risk of being an early adopter. They aren't going to lose out on oodles of profit if they wait to see what happens, whereas they would be gambling to opt in.

(Besides that, a lot of the theories above are more about what people hope to be true soon, rather than about what is actually true so far in the marketplace.)

So your's isn't theory?

@Crinn.7864 said:

Of course its a simplification (but still true). This is a game forum, not an economics class.

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Here's the thing about all the theories above: it doesn't matter for the OP's request, which is simply to be able to pay for GW2 expansions and gems using BitCoin. To answer that, it doesn't matter if you or I think it's going to be the next best thing, if it's the best of the non-fiat options, if it's going to be better than government-backed currencies. It only matters if DigitalRiver (and ANet) can run their business
more
successfully by going through the trouble of adding another currency and by choosing that next currency to be Bitcoin.

So your's isn't theory?

It is an easily testable hypothesis, check to see if DigitalRiver or Anrenet is a profit driven business and whether they accept BitCoin. If either DR or Arenanet began accepting BC, they wouldn't be joining the modern marketplace, they would be joining a tribe.

As to cryptocurrencies and BitCoin...Citizens would be better served by eliminating prohibitions on vices than by an anonymous currency. The market place is willing to support the trade of products that should be criminalized, some countries need to sanctioned, and anti-government ideation is frequently just pathological antisocial ideation.

BitCoin is demonstrating the limitations of using a scarce resource as a currency. The more scarce a resource becomes, the more likely it is to be held (or hedl for the BC fetishist) and not kept in circulation. Economies struggle to grow when currency has low velocity.

Unlike gold, BitCoins generation competes with other high performing, economically important industries; potentially slowing growth.

@Psientist.6437 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Here's the thing about all the theories above: it doesn't matter for the OP's request, which is simply to be able to pay for GW2 expansions and gems using BitCoin. To answer that, it doesn't matter if you or I think it's going to be the next best thing, if it's the best of the non-fiat options, if it's going to be better than government-backed currencies. It only matters if DigitalRiver (and ANet) can run their business
more
successfully by going through the trouble of adding another currency and by choosing that next currency to be Bitcoin.

So your's isn't theory?

It is an easily testable hypothesis, check to see if DigitalRiver or Anrenet is a profit driven business and whether they accept BitCoin. If either DR or Arenanet began accepting BC, they wouldn't be joining the modern marketplace, they would be joining a tribe.

As to cryptocurrencies and BitCoin...Citizens would be better served by eliminating prohibitions on vices than by an anonymous currency. The market place is willing to support the trade of products that should be criminalized, some countries need to sanctioned, and anti-government ideation is frequently just pathological antisocial ideation.

BitCoin is demonstrating the limitations of using a scarce resource as a currency. The more scarce a resource becomes, the more likely it is to be held (or hedl for the BC fetishist) and not kept in circulation. Economies struggle to grow when currency has low velocity.

Unlike gold, BitCoins generation competes with other high performing, economically important industries; potentially slowing growth.

So is still a theory, that's end of story. I just find it arrogant to talk down others' perspective of high risk high gain and make speeches seemingly like a spokesperson of the company.

Both have presented very valid points.In the end, it's up for the company if they see potential profit

Really depends how the cxo level is structured to deal with the revenue.

There stands to make a huge profit but time will tell if companies decide to modernize payment

Archived