Mursaat Elven

Bazompora.2635

They don't exist, anymore.Their departure was too soon;so many things were left untold.

They left behind an empty niche,for no other could take their place:the Elves of Tyria.

Yes, they were ...Unseen like the Celtic Sidhe,Spectral like Germanic Elves,tall and thin like D&D Elves,angelic like Tolkienian Elves,demonic like medieval Dark Elves,pagan Gods like the Tuatha De Danann.

What the latter were to a medieval Ireland,the Mursaat were to a fantastic America:Pre-Columbian Elves, isn't that what they are?

Now that Path of Fire brought us Elona,where the God of Secrets remained closest to the daylight ...Why did Abaddon forge a weapon just for the Mursaat?Those Titans, that brought them to the edge of extinction ...

Or did they ...deceive us,deceive the Eye of Janthir,deceive the Elder Dragons again?Could they have staged their disappearance, like they did before?

It still remains to be seen.

I would hardly call the mursaat elven. For starters, it is the sylvari who have their roots in the same folklore as many elvish and fae mythos.

As to the actual lore topic you ask: Abaddon didn't. He didn't create the Titans (The Fury, a minion of Dhuum, did), and the Titans weren't created to fight the mursaat but to conquer Tyria (which required taking out other would-be conquerors like the mursaat).

We kind of wiped out the vast majority of their numbers back in GW1, and ArenaNet more or less outright said the mursaat are gone and the White Mantle plot is over with Episode 6. So I don't see them having "staged" anything.

@Ardid.7203 said:Please, please, please, no elves. I love GW2 for not falling into the quasi identical stereotypes that plague almost all other fantasy settings. Having dwarves already causes me some pain. Please no elves.

Like me; so refreshing with GW and that there are no elven races and also like in Elder Scrolls, the dwarves are now more or less extinct which makes that bearable too. I'd much rather they focus on the other unique races they've got available in their universe; tengu, kodan, skritt, etc.

I'd just like to note that the tengu aren't really unique, in that I believe they come from Japanese mythology. That's probably why the few named tengu we do meet in GW2 have Japanese style names. That said, there's very little media that covers them in the west, or even of Japanese media that gets translated for a western audience, so they are a novelty and unique in that sense, but no more unique than elves or dwarves.

@Rognik.2579 said:I'd just like to note that the tengu aren't really unique, in that I believe they come from Japanese mythology. That's probably why the few named tengu we do meet in GW2 have Japanese style names. That said, there's very little media that covers them in the west, or even of Japanese media that gets translated for a western audience, so they are a novelty and unique in that sense, but no more unique than elves or dwarves.

Depends on whether you consider uniqueness to be a continuum, or a quality that you either have or you do not. If you regard it is a continuum, then tengu are more unique that elves and dwarves, because fantasy settings with elves and dwarves are a dime a dozen while fantasy settings with tengu - or even bird-people in general - are much less common.

It's hard to create something that's completely unique. All of the playable GW2 races, and most of the non-playable ones, have close analogues in other settings.

True, but much less than elves... GW2 Ogres at least have a culture, social skills and an interesting interaction with nature. They are Ogres mostly in name...

Anyway, going back in topic, the point of the "departed elves", which comes from Tolkien, played a lot with the concept of the Elves being "the first race", the older sons of God. Their departure was a sign of the change of times, a demonstration of the rising of Man over Magic. They were part of the metaphysical ancient history of the world, giving place to a concrete, practical, mundane new era.I don't think the Mursaat can play the role properly.

Archived