Another rant about ambushes (and enemies placement)

So. To begin with, I would say why I still play gw2 since beta (with breaks).Gw2 allows me to log in for a while when I have busy days and enjoy some content. It can be 10-30min and its enough for a quick pvp or maybe achievement hunt. It is nice to explore a bit of map in any given time. But I feel that this game recently went in wrong direction.

Ambushes are my first problem. I have very little time to play now, so I would like to enjoy every minute spent in Tyria. I log in to do achievment/bounty hunt and what i get are 2-4 ambushes in a row. So, maybe another day I can complete my bag. I just log out. Next day the same. 20 minutes lost so I rather play something on my mobile before get to work. Third and fourth day. I just quickly log in for 5 minutes, run through ambushed bounties and log out. No time to wait for them to refresh to ambush me again. And this went on since episode release. Every day. Never saw Ironhoof and the other one needed for collection.

Another thing I noticed is very weird enemies placement. They are EVERYWHERE. I can't enjoy map, because when i stop for a while, I got attacked. When i Alt+Tab in secure place, I got attacked by suddenly spawned enemy? I would like to gather that nice, shiny looking rock. Got attacked by few enemies, veteran, and spammed with chill, cripple, slow and few others faster than my AMAZING F2 SCOURGE 1 CONDI CLEANSE.

Am I getting older or just every thing in this game became very annoying? I do like story, lore, new maps and such but I started to hate game mechanics. Please make this game more friendly for players like me. Your veteran player-base is getting older and life duties kicks in. Pushing random element into game for events is not a very good way to keep us playing.

Your getting older and have decided that GW2 is not a priority...that is your only issue, whether life duties kick in or not, unless you work 14 - 16 hours days there there should be, relatively speaking this format, 8 hours work, 8 hours sleep and 8 hours for everything else(that includes gaming). YMMV.

@Zaklex.6308 said:Your getting older and have decided that GW2 is not a priority...that is your only issue, whether life duties kick in or not, unless you work 14 - 16 hours days there there should be, relatively speaking this format, 8 hours work, 8 hours sleep and 8 hours for everything else(that includes gaming). YMMV.

It looks good on paper. Add 2-3h of travel to/from work total. Time to prepare meals and all other home stuff. And it is like that for years. And i had no problem with this before. As I said i have problems now, with ambush system and terribly placed enemies in every possible spot on map. And that condi-spam. Its just a random element that makes me log into game and log out if i see that RNG is not in my favor. There is another disadvantage of ambushes. Now hardy any squad is scouting for them because there is no point to rush with 30ppl into ambush. One person scout and if someone successfully find a bounty he shouts on map chat. That reduces time to fight by few minutes when player gathers in place (due to much less way-points present on maps.

@Zaklex.6308 said:Your getting older and have decided that GW2 is not a priority...that is your only issue, whether life duties kick in or not, unless you work 14 - 16 hours days there there should be, relatively speaking this format, 8 hours work, 8 hours sleep and 8 hours for everything else(that includes gaming). YMMV.

You can't apply such a generic schedule to everyone's lives and assume that it will be anywhere near accurate, because life is not that simple and there are a lot of variables that can determine play time for any given person.

In any case, though some points can certainly be debated, I think Dragoth does make a good point about ambushes interrupting the intended goals some people have during their limited play time. If I go into a fractal, for example, I wouldn't enjoy it if my time was wasted because the game decided to instead sent me to a surprise secret Joko dungeon, even if as a joke. If someone wants to go out of their way to do a specific kind of content, but they are being deviated from it by an unnecessary mechanic, then that can certainly be a problem. It's also not a problem limited only to time-constrained players, I've seen a number of posts and complaints on these forums already about these ambushes, and it seems the general consensus is that they are overdone. Even players who do have a lot of time on their hands may not want to feel like their time is being unnecessarily wasted.

@"Laila Lightness.8742" said:they have no place in this game

Could you expand on that? How are they meaningfully different from other type of content? They offer loot (including pretty good karma if you bought the relevant buff) and provide a sort of color-commentary to the evolving story.

I'd like to see them be infrequent (maybe 1:20 or even 1:10) and include some interesting drops we can't get from bounties. Right now, there's an incentive to run away after they pop and wait them out and, as ANet themselves have said, the incentives should favor completing events, not letting them fail (or take longer).

But "no place in the game?" I disagree.

@Tenrai Senshi.2017 said:

You can't apply such a generic schedule to everyone's lives and assume that it will be anywhere near accurate, because life is not that simple and there are a lot of variables that can determine play time for any given person.

In any case, though some points can certainly be debated, I think Dragoth does make a good point about ambushes interrupting the intended goals some people have during their limited play time. If I go into a fractal, for example, I wouldn't enjoy it if my time was wasted because the game decided to instead sent me to a surprise secret Joko dungeon, even if as a joke. If someone wants to go out of their way to do a specific kind of content, but they are being deviated from it by an unnecessary mechanic, then that can certainly be a problem. It's also not a problem limited only to time-constrained players, I've seen a number of posts and complaints on these forums already about these ambushes, and it seems the general consensus is that they are overdone. Even players who do have a lot of time on their hands may not want to feel like their time is being unnecessarily wasted.

Yes, it's a generic statement and it doesn't apply to everyone...almost nothing applies to everyone, but that generic statement can be in most cases taken and used as a basis for anyone's particular situation. It also has a lot to do with time management, which unfortunately a lot of people never learn nor are people ever taught(unless of course you've taken business/management training, because it's integral to a successful manager/executive). The other factor is what any one person deems is important to them. Take all of those things and throw them into the mixer and figure out what you want and how to get it...that's the ultimate outcome. Sometimes you have to have a give and take with your own life, but then again, I don't let outside forces dictate what I want to do(simply put, I do what I want come hell or high water).

Archived