"No Valid Path to Target"

Noodica.5428

As of recent years the bug of "No valid path to target" in WvW and PvP on skills such as Shadow step, steal or infiltrator's arrow has gotten worse and worse as time has gone by. I don't see this topic brought up very often so I would like to explain some of my concerns in hopes that something can be done about it.

IIRC It originally started with WvW towers and keeps to avoid thief's finding exploits in to objectives, now days even if a tower or keep is yours, trying to teleport onto, near or up a staircase is 100% blocked, trying to teleport along flat walls is almost a 50/50 chance if the skill will work on not. As if this wasn't bad enough, open field WvW and PvP are also full of these bugs if you're at the slightest elevation and I'm sure if you ask any thief main they will vouch for this. At rare occasions it can happen on flat ground.

The amount of times these bugs can get you killed in PvP and WvW is absolutely triggering, and to add the the problem there are so many spots in WvW/PvP where players know they can exploit this issue and you're at a huge disadvantage, just to name a few of many:-Any rooftop/house in WvW camps.-Big stack of logs closest to camp on Speldan Clearcut camp (eternal battlegroups)-Many of the rocks at Quarry (Legacy of Foefire)-The stone post near mid on Legacy of Foefire-Wood plank stack at Dragon and Mid (Eternal Coliseum)-Box stacks all around Eternal Coliseum)-Wood posts mid (Eternal Coliseum)-Barrel stack in corner of Temple (Temple of Silent Storm)-Some of the posts on the island near south camp on Alpine borderlands.

Those are just a few, I could go on and on but the thread will be too long. Now I completely understand that advantage points for people with ranged abilities is necessary, but to completely void Steal, infiltrator's arrow and shadow step is just taking advantage of an exploit. Being immobilized on a slight elevation and not being able to shadow step away onto flat ground is a bug. I understand that this is harder to fix than it seems to avoid people taking advantage of it, and it will never be 100% fixed but it needs some work done to it. I hope ANet can take this information and figure something out.

Thanks

I am fine with the Shadowsteps not working on places where you can't get by walking without jumping, like the crates, etc as a sort of a counterplay.However, what kills me like 5 times a day is this absolutely * nonsense where Steal, Inflitrator's Strike, Shadow shot, Infiltrator's Arrow get "No Valid Path" to target on places like ledges on the Clocktower in Battle of Kyhlo, or by far my most favourite of all: plain flat straight ground on (and everywhere around) the freakin' side points in Eternal Coliseum where you get this "NVP" almost every damn time."Oh, you need to Steal/IS/SS on an 10% HP Enemy to kill it and survive? Here, let me trigger half your skills in one place without the desired effects, no Heal nor DMG nor Shadowstep for you. Oh, so now you need to Escape the fight as a result of this major **? Here let me screw up your Infiltrator's Arrow so you Shadowstep in the same spot where you stand so you get locked in place and deleted by whoever is behind you. You're welcome"

~ triggered just by hearing about it

@"Alatar.7364" said:I am fine with the Shadowsteps not working on places where you can't get by walking without jumping, like the crates, etc as a sort of a counterplay.

As far as I can see, mesmer and scourge can "shadow step" up to hills and structures without ever getting an error message, so I don't see why thief shouldn't be able to do the same. Either their skills are bugged or our Shadow Step and Infiltrator's Arrow.

@Faaris.8013 said:

@"Alatar.7364" said:I am fine with the Shadowsteps not working on places where you can't get by walking without jumping, like the crates, etc as a sort of a counterplay.

As far as I can see, mesmer and scourge can "shadow step" up to hills and structures without ever getting an error message, so I don't see why thief shouldn't be able to do the same. Either their skills are bugged or our Shadow Step and Infiltrator's Arrow.

apart from mesmer portal they got the same limitations.

@MUDse.7623 said:

I once had a mesmer running in front of me blinking up a hill, I wanted to follow with shadow step but failed.

@Faaris.8013 said:

I once had a mesmer running in front of me blinking up a hill, I wanted to follow with shadow step but failed.

for some ports you got to stay on the right spot and aim at the right location, maybe you just missed it.

@MUDse.7623 said:

for some ports you got to stay on the right spot and aim at the right location, maybe you just missed it.

Thank you for confirming my point, that it's bugged for thief.

@Faaris.8013 said:

no its bugged for everyone just said that the mesmer might have known the area better than you.

@MUDse.7623 said:

no its bugged for everyone just said that the mesmer might have known the area better than you.

I often will miss my port on a thief with said message and just take a wee step to one side or the other and make it. Generally I have found if one in "too tight" you miss.

Don't know if this will help or not, as I only play in pve and barely touch WvW and pvp, but they can probably make an invisible wall on structures that anet does not want players to get through (going from ground level to the top or on the other side of a castle wall) and give us and other players the ability to path through an area where a one or multiple standard jumps are required to get to the end point instead of the no jump pathing that is currently in place.

The invisible does not need to cover width of the wall just the outside, which could be very small and just very high to prevent people going from high places like hills or mountains to bypass the wall, of it to still allow players to go up stairs and path along the walkway but not over the edge (which might be one of the downfalls to this suggestion).

I think pve would be fine since I think no one will complain as they have already blocked off areas all around the map with the introduction of the mounts and glider. I hate the no jump path since in the new map, mainly at inquest base, and some of the older maps like mal's leap have very uneven terrain that sometimes require multiple small jumps and I can't use infiltrator as much along with the other abilities.

Edit: stupid tab made it into that long box option.

Haven't been on the forum since yesterday, but I think its safe to assume that most people feel the same way.

@Dewsitine.3645 said:Don't know if this will help or not, as I only play in pve and barely touch WvW and pvp, but they can probably make an invisible wall on structures that anet does not want players to get through (going from ground level to the top or on the other side of a castle wall) and give us and other players the ability to path through an area where a one or multiple standard jumps are required to get to the end point instead of the no jump pathing that is currently in place.

The invisible does not need to cover width of the wall just the outside, which could be very small and just very high to prevent people going from high places like hills or mountains to bypass the wall, of it to still allow players to go up stairs and path along the walkway but not over the edge (which might be one of the downfalls to this suggestion).

I think pve would be fine since I think no one will complain as they have already blocked off areas all around the map with the introduction of the mounts and glider. I hate the no jump path since in the new map, mainly at inquest base, and some of the older maps like mal's leap have very uneven terrain that sometimes require multiple small jumps and I can't use infiltrator as much along with the other abilities.

Edit: stupid tab made it into that long box option.

I like this idea. Whatever can be done needs to be done, constantly losing in critical moments due to this bug can really get frustrating. I don't think it will be but I hope arena net can see this post and take it more seriously.

Archived