Tanky Guardian for mainly stationary/solo play?

Walder.6524

Hey folks,I posted in another thread that I have a lot of problems dodging successfully. Someone mentioned the possibility of a vitality-based Guardian. Would this work for mainly solo and stationary play, where I wouldn't have to dodge a ton? If so, is there somewhere I can find a link to this kind of build?Thank you!

Take Honor/Virture trait lines. You still want to dodge since dodge heals you but you don't have to dodge to evade attacks successfully. Just randomly dodge here and there when you feel pressured.

The last line can be your personal preference. Dragonhunter/Firebrand or any other core guardian trait line should all work.

Invest in some healing power/toughness/vitality. Don't go full tanky though because you want some damage to skill stuff quickly enough if you solo.

Hi @"Walder.6524" , i have a build that might work for you. I made this build for a friend some time ago because he was struggling a lot with staying alive and he really liked it. It is pretty tanky (3,1k armor, signet of judgement passive and a lot of blocks), enough damage to kill mobs by yourself and a lot of healing from your blocks, utility skills, regeneratio, virtue of justice passive effect, mace and greatsword attacks and signet of courage passive. It's also very cheap. Let me know how it works for you or if you have any questions!

Dragonhunter is my main, and I use 1 build for everything (except raids/fractals). I run greatsword/sword-shield, and keep a bow in my bag just in case. All gear/weapons are marauder stats except for 3 trinkets, which I use soldier's stats on. Valor/Virtues/Dragonhunter are the trait lines. It may not be optimal damage, but I generally have no issues with anything, including champs, I run into. I still have to be careful with some vets in HoT maps tho.

If you'd like a link to my build sent me a message.

@Walder.6524 said:Hey folks,I posted in another thread that I have a lot of problems dodging successfully. Someone mentioned the possibility of a vitality-based Guardian. Would this work for mainly solo and stationary play, where I wouldn't have to dodge a ton? If so, is there somewhere I can find a link to this kind of build?Thank you!

The more time you need to bring down your enemies, the worst.That's why a vitality based guardian won't be useful.

Guardian is pretty easy ( dragon hunter is the best to play with ) and has many healings, blocks, aoe dmg, etc... go with it.

@Walder.6524 said:Hey folks,I posted in another thread that I have a lot of problems dodging successfully. Someone mentioned the possibility of a vitality-based Guardian. Would this work for mainly solo and stationary play, where I wouldn't have to dodge a ton? If so, is there somewhere I can find a link to this kind of build?Thank you!

Let me solve your dodging problem forever.

But a Logitech G13, program the stick for the 4 directions, and bind dodge to pushing down on the stick. Voila! You can now dodge instantly in 8 directions with the push of 1 button (and have your fingertips continually resting on 1-0)

NO damage build, expect to get a long borign gameplay, when i used to do Pve, even on soldier stats u cant kill some LS mobs, had to call a zerker guilddie to deal with some mobs.

Game is made to DPS race, it is not play ow u want...

If u use low vitatlity builds u must have high crit, if u wanna kill before some mobs wrek u since aegis dont work against all mobs :)

GW2 requires dodging. Not going to get around that; encounters are based on it. Facetanking 100% of the time is simply impossible.

However, certain guard builds can get a LOT of health regen to let your recover between mistakes. Meditation/GS with Monk's Focus trait has a lot of passive healing built in, and does really good damage too. It's basically unstoppable in PVE. Try Valor/Zeal/Virtues or Valor/Zeal/Firebrand and you should be able to get a lot of healing and good damage as well.

If you haven't rolled a Guardian yet, i would say no, it's not as capable a face-tanking class as say ... a warrior with shout-heal build.

But, part of the success of playing GW2 is learning what the mobs do. being successful at dodging is going to be a must-have for higher end content if you intend to team up with people.

Active defenses is pretty much a must in this game, you can find a build that reduces this impact, but not ignore it.

Do you have specific problems with Dodging, but can manage other active defenses? (Block, Invulnerable, Aegis, Blind, Leap away, etc?) or is it all of them? Basically if it is specifically the Dodging you can build around some of it, but if you have problems with all active defenses, and basically want a "tank" character from other games, then your best bet is honestly Warrior, if GW2 can do that at all.

If you're interested I made a core Guardian build focused around Soldiers stats and Aegis/blocks, it mainly uses dodging for getting away from attacks when I'm out of Aegis/blocks, and can still do some damage. So far managed most content I've tried it in (not raids/fractals), even worked decently enough in WvW when I've played.

It still require you to pay attention to enemy attacks, and time Aegis, blinds, blocks and other defenses to counteract what the enemy does to stay alive. But mainly focuses around Retaliation and Aegis.

@Rhyse.8179 said:GW2 requires dodging. Not going to get around that; encounters are based on it. Facetanking 100% of the time is simply impossible.

However, certain guard builds can get a LOT of health regen to let your recover between mistakes. Meditation/GS with Monk's Focus trait has a lot of passive healing built in, and does really good damage too. It's basically unstoppable in PVE. Try Valor/Zeal/Virtues or Valor/Zeal/Firebrand and you should be able to get a lot of healing and good damage as well.

OK, thanks for all the help, guys! Dodging is pretty much required even in soloable, open-world content? I don't think I'd do any raids.

@Walder.6524 said:

@Rhyse.8179 said:GW2 requires dodging. Not going to get around that; encounters are based on it. Facetanking 100% of the time is simply impossible.

OK, thanks for all the help, guys! Dodging is pretty much required even in soloable, open-world content? I don't think I'd do any raids.

It simply depends on how well your class can handle the situations. There is definitely a step up in gameplay needed for HoT and PoF; openworld content will kill you there.

The thing about dodging ... everyone gets access to it. I mean, I have my shout-heal warrior setup so I don't need to dodge .... but that's not the point.

@Obtena.7952 said:

It simply depends on how well your class can handle the situations. There is definitely a step up in gameplay needed for HoT and PoF; openworld content will kill you there.

The thing about dodging ... everyone gets access to it. I mean, I have my shout-heal warrior setup so I don't need to dodge .... but that's not the point.

I'm going to try to bind dodging to my middle mouse button, but I'm not hopeful. A shout-heal warrior doesn't need to dodge at all? IDK, this just might not be the game for me, unfortunately.

@Walder.6524 said:

I'm going to try to bind dodging to my middle mouse button, but I'm not hopeful. A shout-heal warrior doesn't need to dodge at all? IDK, this just might not be the game for me, unfortunately.

I still dodge when I know I should, but I got LOTS of backup heals for when I should have and didn't.

@Obtena.7952 said:

I still dodge when I know I should, but I got LOTS of backup heals for when I should have and didn't.

Yeah, that sounds good to me. Do you know if a Ranger build of some kind would be even less reliant on dodge? I realize now that I can't avoid dodging entirely, but I'd like to minimize it.

@Walder.6524 said:

@"Rhyse.8179" said:GW2 requires dodging. Not going to get around that; encounters are based on it. Facetanking 100% of the time is simply impossible.

I'm about as uncoordinated as they come and I just dodge by double tapping the direction key for whichever way I'm trying to move. It's not instantaneous but in PVE most enemies have "tells" i.e. a delay and pose that's showing a big attack about to come. Actually my double tap usually works in my favor because I don't dodge too soon.

Ok I dont actually recommend this because it's expensive to build Zealot's and not a "best build" but it's group friendly with a lot of external heals (now it pays to dodge roll!) and serious indirect damage with Shattered Aegis and retaliation.

The runes are for extra mobility and a little bit of health.

You lose the bonus damage from ferocity but it's still miles ahead of a PTV build.

It's fun in a group setting when you get the skill and trait synergies down pat though.(Edit) I actually would replace Litany with Shelter in this case, since you want "tanky". Shelter blocks everything and since it will trigger Smite and a symbol, you'll get more healing than just what the base skill provides.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVEQNAS7enkICVDhNCBGCB8Dhj5h6evPaNgngi4KqNwVGAA-jRBTABkp8TM1fAT3Q4KBBY/BA-e

@Walder.6524 said:Yeah, that sounds good to me. Do you know if a Ranger build of some kind would be even less reliant on dodge? I realize now that I can't avoid dodging entirely, but I'd like to minimize it.

Ranger is actually based on dodging, and a lot of their weapon skills have dodges/evades built into them. You can use a pet-tanking build (bear or wolf + longbow + beastmastery + shouts), but you lose a lot of damage that way. It works, and a lot of people use it just fine for open world content, but it's not ideal and will get laughed at in dungeons/raids. If you want to minimize reliance on dodge, you either need to stay out of melee range, or use some kind of other active defense (like aegis).

If you can handle Aegis as an active defense, a Porcupine build Firebrand is REALLY good. Easily the tankiest build I've ever played, and the damage just gets higher when you have allies to share Aegis with. The key to this build is good timing though, to make each cast of Aegis count and proc for damage. It's a little more forgiving then dodge, because you can pre-cast an Aegis by 1 or 2 seconds for an incoming attack, you don't have to respond with quite the same exact timing, but timing in general is still vital. If you can get the hand of it, it's absolutely brutal and never dies. Mace/Shield gives several blocks and lots of healing as well, while Mystic Rebuke (Zeal tree) makes Aegis do a lot of aoe damage, and the Firebrand healing mantra gives Aegis on command as well. Radiance (retribution buffs for dps), Zeal (Mystic Rebuke and retaliation uptime from aegis) and Firebrand (many mantras) is the build for it. Use Valkyrie or Crusader gear, or Commander if you can get it (expensive; LS3 zones can get you ascended trinkets though). It's my favorite build of any class ATM, and while it's not easy to get the timing right it's extremely rewarding when you do.

Lastly, if you really just want an easy mode build, nobody absorbs damage like a MM Core Necro. Death Magic (Minions)/Blood (Vampiric Aura)/and Spite or Curses (power or condition damage, your preference) will let you absorb massive hits and not go down thanks to death shroud, and give you a chance to recover afterwards with your minions siphoning health for you. The damage is surprisingly good too, the Vampiric Aura proc adds up to a lot more then you think because it's duplicated on all of your minions. This is a really good build for learning content with, but minions are trouble in instances so don't plan on doing fractals or raids with it.

Yeah was about to suggest running a "beartank archer" ranger, or "minion master" necormancer if you have trouble with all active defenses. But don't bother to try PVP, WVW, Fractals, Raids with them.

And also wanted to add, as someone did before me, you can enable in options to Dodge on "double tap" direction keys. I use this and like it a lot. Basically if I see something launching a big attacks, I can just S+S and I dodge backward. Can be annoying in jumping puzzles, keep dodging off edges when trying to get as close as possible :p

Still curious why you have so much trouble with the dodging ?

Archived