One Handed Weapon Discussion

InsaneQR.7412

Due to many threads and suggestion i participated in lately i really thought about how our weapon skills work and how well they interact with traits. Additionally there is the arbitrary positions of our MH weapons (excluding dagger here) which dmg type they should do.

I personally want that we can modify via traits how our weapon skills function and how the playstyle works in respect to dmg.OH weapons of ranger are an oddball because they have this arbitrary ranged-melee components that do not interact well with each other.

Make some suggestions here, you can give either feedback or make your own and we can discuss what can be improved on MH and OH.

MH Axe:I am fine with MH axe how it functions but i want to make 2 things baseline.First: Wintersbite AoE should be baseline.Second: Unsplit the PvP bugfs so it has higher power coefficients in all gamemodes.

Honed Axes: Gain Precision per Axe wielded.Axes have a reduced recharge. Maybe shiffle it arround in the traitline so it is no longer a GM. But i wont go into detail here.

MH Sword:For sword there are two reoccuring issues that are very prevalent.

First: The AA does not cleave on every attack. Crippling thrust only hits 1 target and should hit 3. It does not make any sense to hit less targets than the other 2 AA skills.

Second: In PvP its a very potent due to the dodge uptimes but it has poor utility in PvE and a loss in DPS due to the character of the skills animations.Without changing to much on sword let give it just more utility by modifying Hornet Sting.Hornet sting has a fixed direction atm and what i want to propose is to remove that. So you can use it as a free dodge in any direction you want. This way it could be used as an escape tool or a gap closer. Additionally i want to propse that the evade frame starts and end with the animation. Atm it starts few seconds after which leads to unpleasent results in many cases. Last point is more QoL for better playfeel and handling.

Striders Defense: The effect should occure regardless of wielding a sword or not. So you get quickness when evading with a shortbow or GS or any other source of evasion indipendent of the weapon you wield.

Poison Master: Apply poison when you apply cripple. Increased Poison dmg moved to refined toxins.Its an ongoing proposal of mine because it would give a lot if build possibilities, opening many hybrid playstyles and it would be better than the current poisonmaster. This way sword can be utilized as a hybrid weapon, also a reason why crippling thrust should cleave.

Torch OH:Strong Weapon with most dmg condition skill of ranger.Throw torch has sadly low synergy with the weapon itself and does not bring any synergy to the table.There are 2 possible changes here.First: Change Throw torch to the sometimes occuring Torch Stab that we see on environmental weapons. So its melee hits 3 targets and applies burning.Second: Add ammunition to throw torch. And let it hit 3 targets.

I would add a small blind to both possible changes just to give it some utility.

Dagger OH:Dagger is well known to be a strong evasion tool in PvP but it started to dwindle in potential in all gamemodes since E-specs are a thing. It has poor dmg in PvE and not much utility on crippling talon.I have one sibgle proposal to make which would involve both skills.

Add ammunition mechanic on both skills.Stalker strike 2 charges and crippling talon 3 charges. Would give dagger a unique thiefesque spam character and more utility to more snare and evade potential.

Ambidexterity:I think this trait is just plain out bland and i want to change something on it.One idea is that you get increased condi duration everytime you apply a condition when wielding an OH weapon (Axe and WH included). This does account for every condition or stack. So 3 stacks would give 3 stacks and 3 different conditions would give 3 stacks for example. The bonus per stack should need evaluation and the cap of course too.

OH Warhorn:Probably the most Refined OH weapon.Hunters Call should ad the "only castable with target" character because more so often it gets wasted due to slight of range.Just a plain out QoL.

OH Axe:Path of scars need some improvements, especiqlly on its targeting.Id say give it a skillshot similar to vinesurge and let it only travel this oath back and forth.Additionally let it pull for its full range and reduce the range to 900.Nobody uses it on 1200 range either and the additional pull distance would compensate dor the lost range. Increase its breakbar dmg accordingly.This is mainly QoLish suggestions that would improve this skill by a long shot without changing much.

Whirling Defense: Discussed vigiourisly in these forums lately so not much to add here except that i am from the "WD should allow movement camp". The retal can be removed IMO, it has nit much use because mist stuff already dies if it stays bear you and players are not stupid enough to attack you in any way.In addition i think that cleave and reflect radius should be matched up. Or the cleave radius should atleast be increased in PvE.

These are my suggestion for our one handed weapons and some trait changes with them.Any constructive criticism is welcome.

@InsaneQR.7412 said:OH Axe:Path of scars need some improvements, especiqlly on its targeting.Id say give it a skillshot similar to vinesurge and let it only travel this oath back and forth.Additionally let it pull for its full range and reduce the range to 900.Nobody uses it on 1200 range either and the additional pull distance would compensate dor the lost range. Increase its breakbar dmg accordingly.

I have a feeling that your post is manly from POV of PVE (please tell me if I am wrong).Regarding Path of Scars, I think they should keep 1200 range, because these days most skills of other classes are 1200. Also all pull skills of other classes are 1200 (again, maybe I am wrong, but definitely most are ;) ) .I suggest instead to make full pull for whole 1200 range not only for 400 units ... it's kinda stupid to hit someone who is 1200 units far, pull him for 400 units and then what ? Hit him with Whirling Defense who has only 180 units range, or Sword who has 130 units, or Dagger who has 130 and 400 units ? Because this are MH weapon who can be used with Axe OH. Ofc we can use Axe + Axe, but MH Axe skills are already 900 range units, so you can hit enemy if you just move 2 - 3 steps in front. Anyway, I don't know other pull skill of other class who can do only 1/3 pull range ... (I know, someone like @"Darkened.4076" will say again about Identity of the skill/weapon, joking ;) ) .Targeting ... idd this one definitely must be improved. They should make it like Dragonhunter "Spear of Justice".

For the moment I looked only on Axe OH

@Dragonzhunter.8506 said:

@InsaneQR.7412 said:OH Axe:Path of scars need some improvements, especiqlly on its targeting.Id say give it a skillshot similar to vinesurge and let it only travel this oath back and forth.Additionally let it pull for its full range and reduce the range to 900.Nobody uses it on 1200 range either and the additional pull distance would compensate dor the lost range. Increase its breakbar dmg accordingly.

I have a feeling that your post is manly from POV of PVE (please tell me if I am wrong).Regarding Path of Scars, I think they should keep 1200 range, because these days most skills of other classes are 1200. Also all pull skills of other classes are 1200 (again, maybe I am wrong, but definitely most are ;) ) .I suggest instead to make full pull for whole 1200 range not only for 400 units ... it's kinda stupid to hit someone who is 1200 units far, pull him for 400 units and then what ? Hit him with Whirling Defense who has only 180 units range, or Sword who has 130 units, or Dagger who has 130 and 400 units ? Because this are MH weapon who can be used with Axe OH. Ofc we can use Axe + Axe, but MH Axe skills are already 900 range units, so you can hit enemy if you just move 2 - 3 steps in front. Anyway, I don't know other pull skill of other class who can do only 1/3 pull range ... (I know, someone like @"Darkened.4076" will say again about Identity of the skill/weapon, joking ;) ) .Targeting ... idd this one definitely must be improved. They should make it like Dragonhunter "Spear of Justice".

To understand you correctly. You basically said yes to the suggestion but without cutting down on range?Yes mainly i think PvE but with PvP contest back in mind.What i forgot to say is that they should increase the travel speed of the projectile too.

Mainly i thought 900 would be enough because i dont use it that often over that threshhold and i think it would be good enough on this range and it would be inline with all other ranger one handed skills. But mainly i am indifferent if it is 1200 range or 900, mainly i want a full distance pull and the 900 pull seems more realistic suggestion to me.

Side Note:All pull skills that are 1200 range are utilities which are acorpion wire and spectral grasp.All other are 900 and lower.

Do you have any other inputs to other proposals i made, because Axe OH discussion went a bit oveboard last week^^

@InsaneQR.7412 said:

To understand you correctly. You basically said yes to the suggestion but without cutting down on range?Yes mainly i think PvE but with PvP contest back in mind.What i forgot to say is that they should increase the travel speed of the projectile too.

Mainly i thought 900 would be enough because i dont use it that often over that threshhold and i think it would be good enough on this range and it would be inline with all other ranger one handed skills. But mainly i am indifferent if it is 1200 range or 900, mainly i want a full distance pull and the 900 pull seems more realistic suggestion to me.

Side Note:All pull skills that are 1200 range are utilities which are acorpion wire and spectral grasp.All other are 900 and lower.

Do you have any other inputs to other proposals i made, because Axe OH discussion went a bit oveboard last week^^

Yes, I am agree with your suggestion, only the range I want to be 1200 :) .

@Dragonzhunter.8506 said:

Yes, I am agree with your suggestion, only the range I want to remain 1200 :) .

"Honed Axes: Gain Precision per Axe wielded."As I have suggested several times along with baseline aoe winter's bite. Increased attack speed while wielding an axe similarly to the longbow trait is an option that still leaves it GM worthy.

OH Axe is mostly fine on paper, but Path of Scar is too clunky. Id' be fine with a stack of stability for Whirling Defense, but if they give you the ability to move while using it I'm not gonna complain. MH Axe; Winter's Bite aoe basline and slightly faster autoattacks. Change the shotgun behavior of Splitblade. I have some ideas for a complete rework of the mainhand, but that's not gonna happen anyway.

Sword needs cleave for the entire auto chain and comparable damage to other power oriented sword autos (should be comparable to the power coefficients of thief's sword). Hornet's Sting needs a quicker activation time. Again refering to thief and its staff evade.

OH dagger needs an ammo system. Why Crippling Talon can't be thrown twice when warrior's axe can is beyond me. If not, Crippling Talon needs a straight up buff. This weapon is literally nothing but an evade for pvp atm. Out of any classes that can dual wield daggers, ranger has the weakest full set of dagger skills. I know MH dagger wasn't included by OP, but a simple daze or stun on skill 3 and an evade frame would do a lot for this weapon.

Torch, specifically Throw Torch has the same problem as Crippling Talon. Ammo system or a rework/buff.

As for the dagger/torch trait, it's fine. Bland, but fine. It's nice that it actually affect the soulbeast dagger, I didn't expect it would prior to the PoF release.

Warhorn is good. I still question why they added regen to the trait instead of an offensive boon like quickness to an offense oriented (support) weapon way back, but I can live with it as is. Definetely not on the priority list. That being said, Hunter's Call needs something to cut the "out of sight/line" bullshit. It's not just annoying, but neither does it makes no sense for what the skill actually does.

Archived