Unable to open archive file

GW2 is unable to access its archive file C:\GW2 dat. Please verify that this file is accessible and writable and that no other program is currently using it. Although in my case it was saying the dat file was located in the guild wars 2 folder under my documents.Uninstalled the game. Tried to reinstall from the disc and the same error came up. Stating the came was unable to access the dat file. What is really interesting, is the fact the dat file disappeared altogether, before I uninstalled.24 Hours ago my game was running fine.

Gw2.dat is the main data file for Guild Wars 2. It is currently around 36.2 GB and is located in the folder where you installed Guild Wars 2 to. (For example: C:\Games\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.dat)

It is a bit unusual to find this file as C:\GW2 dat. Are you sure this is the valid path? It should be in the games folder, where also GW2.exe and/or GW2-64.exe is located. Try to move it there. If that still does not help, try a reinstall of the game. It will take some time to download the game again.

A new installer can be downloaded here: https://account.arena.net/welcome

It should be looking for Gw2.dat under the same folder as Gw2.exe. If it was looking under My Documents, is this where Gw2.exe was located? Is this Windows XP? It's not actually supported and can default to odd paths like this.

Make a temporary Guild Wars 2 folder on your desktop. Download Gw2-64.exe or Gw2.exe (rename them, these are direct from the patch server with indexed names) and place it in the folder. Right click the exe, properties, and if it says the file is blocked, unblock it. Run it and it should begin installing to its current folder. You can move this folder wherever you want later, preferably something like C:\Games\ and not the default C:\Program Files.

If it still wants to find Gw2.dat under documents, give it permission to write there. Right click the folder, properties, security and add full access for everyone. Ensure that no security software is also blocking it, and reboot if this has all been a single session.

Archived