D/D viable now in WvW/PvE/Open World with Deadeye?

skystorm.9280

Very hard to do d/d on DE in WvW. This because dagger dagger lacks engage and disengage and with DE stal there no port to. This generally means you have to use infiltrtors as a signet but once you are up front and personal you now need a means to get out in a hurry due to all of the at your feet AOE's and passives that kick in. This might change up a bit with an upcoming patch (passives in particular) but that remains to be seen.

The reason d/p can still work is you can at least port too and blind. The reason s/d is so popular is #2 allows ports in and outs and you get a hard hitting evasive. Now using CS with twin fangs and hidden killer with the added stealths that DE offers can be sweet but as far as WvW going setting that up to work against a number of classes (see scourge) can be difficult.

As to open world outside of WvW , I have used and it fine.

I use Dagger Dagger. Though I usually carry Infiltrator's Signet with it so I can engage. I recommend mapping About face if you take withdraw or roll for initiative so you can use them to engage better, or take shadow step. It's viable.

But I'm no super elite face on the internet with 10,000 viewers, so I won't tell you it's meta or it sucks.

The issue with offhand dagger is it requires a direct single target port to make maximum use out of Cloak and Dagger. Deadeye's steal is replaced with mark, so you lose a very important engage skill. You can take infiltrator's signet to replace it, but it is a 30 second cooldown and only 900 range, making attacks lack luster since you'll most likely get evaded and then you have nothing left to chase with.

D/p and S/d deadeye would be more effective since they both have 900 range ports, but it uses initiative making it easier to stick to targets.

Are you going to use rifle? S/D is good for tethering if you're group closed distance so you can blink or leap back and get a nice view for range or Inf Strike or Deaths Retreat back in for CnD or whatever. I think if you're super alert you can run around with the kit Leo's using if you have Shadow Meld, D/D is always really fun, you're just going to be stuck planning each engagement to an exact and keep your targets turning and overthinking and then gtfo before they have time to calm down.

Some people try to run D/D with SA and Meld but to be honest I really don't see the point; D/P in this build is just strictly better as it is.

D/D will never be any good until it gets reworked which is quite the tall order as even then initiative costs are still pretty imbalanced for the reward of the kit without making DB or CnD overloaded.

It being dependent on the enemy and defensive powercreep is probably going to keep it an under-performer forever without just making it OP or demanding huge nerfs to both MH and OH dagger as a whole which would likely also require changes for most other kits due to the implications it has on x/D and D/x which is virtually every competitive kit.

Archived